All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

3 Likes

Galway v Armagh, 2022, on TG4 anois díreach.

1 Like

Some dreadful defending here, not surprising to see Irwin in the middle of it.

That shiny green jersey was iconic.

ComPete

5 Likes

I’d say they had their pre-match meal in the Kilkenny Design Centre.

Probably just coming out of an all nighter in Club Nausea…

This youtube channel has some amount of content on it

https://www.youtube.com/@tallowmangaa7884/videos

I think this is my favourite Ulster football match of all time. The old Breffni Park and its hill, the hottest day of the entire summer, the two most fanatical sets of supporters in the country at that moment, a fucking belter of an Ulster semi-final, and drama right to the very end.

My recording of the BBC commentary of this game got tragically wiped out about two weeks later, I’d already watched it about 10 times in those two weeks, I’ve waited 30 years to see it again.

5 Likes

Some atmosphere there

Unreal. Ger Houlahan should have got Footballer Of The Year that year. He was like Roy Of The Rovers. He at least got the genuinely prestigious (as opposed to TFK prestigious) BBC “Player Of The Championship” award.

Hoolie was a great bit of stuff.

I don’t have time to watch this but I vaguely recall some Ulster championship game from around that era (maybe this game?) when Armagh had a bald full back called Ger Reid, I think. He went around his half of the field basically assaulting any attacker that dared to get on the ball.

2 Likes

He was a fixture on the Armagh team from about 1994 to 2000/01 inclusive. He may or may not have still been on the panel in 2002, I’ve a notion he was, but Francie Bellew getting onto the Armagh team did for him in terms of getting his game. I think he gave away the free which Maurice Fitzgerald equalised from at the end of the drawn Kerry-Armagh semi-final in 2000.

1 Like

Armagh should have beaten Kerry over them 2 games . Reid got a few roastings and Justin mcnulty moved to full back

Reid is blast from the past. Have recollections of him being roasted alright. Offaly had a full back called Larry Carroll around that period too who always seemed to be getting cleaned out.

1 Like

Kildare had a lad Davey at full back that got cleaned a few times back then too

Davy Dalton. He looked about 40. Micko had them run ragged.

1 Like

No after him , Conor Davey I think