All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

in the mid 2000s Cork played Tipp in a hurling qualifier in Killarney. full house. before that you are back to the mid 1980s for big hurling matches in Killarney

Cork v Clare 1986 Munster hurling final
Cork v Tipp 1987 Munster senior hurling final replay

A Munster hurling final in Killarney again would be magic but hard to see how it could arise

1 Like

Yep it would be. I always felt they should fix the Munster final at the start of the year and make a weekend out of it or something. Potentially run a Munster fiele on the Saturday or something.

well you could name the munster hurling final venue at the start of the season, rotate it between cork, limerick, Killarney, thurles. they get one every 4 seasons then.

a final in Killarney be a huge novelty. but in reality , hard to expect cork, tipp, limerick to sign up to that when they have invested so much in their own stadia.

1 Like

Very true.

Capacity in Killarney is reduced to something like 32K I think?

I think the home/away arrangement for finals between the big 3 should go alright. Either the top placed team has choice of venue or else it rotates between the big 3.

They’ve had Ulster finals in Croke Park. Absolutely madness. As suspended poster @Sidney said, nothing, but nothing superseeds an Ulster Finals day in Clones.

A Collesseum of a ground, narrow access, chip-vans, concertina players, flaggons, atmosphere, tribalism, flags, vitriol and great Gaels… A fucking lifetime experience…

3 Likes

Agree . Also a late lamented pub called “ The Busted Sofa “ . So name can bate that

1 Like

it is effectively a home\away arrangement between the top 3 at present I believe and probably the way it will stay

top place team getting to call the venue not a bad idea and would add a further bit of spice to group matches

I think it was The Bursted Sofa.

That was 04. First time they met in the qualifiers. Killarney as a venue as there was no home/away agreement for anything outside the Munster championship. Cork were way better than Tipp that day. John Carroll kept Tipp in it by himself.

Saw that earlier and really enjoyed it. Davy Harte is one for the underrated footballer thread.

1 Like

Good game, Carroll tried to flatten the Rock but he bounced up and it was a big moment, the Rock could really lift the crowd,
Throw in was delayed because of traffic, for all it’s charms Killarney can be a disaster to get in and out of
The Cork support got what they wanted before the match with Timmy Mc benched but he came on and shoved it up theirs holes, one of the days he’ll be remembered for on Leeside

2 Likes

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

Why wasn’t that game played in limerick ?? It was 2004 and Lk had already played Cork at the new Gaelic Grounds that year . Was there a problem with the stadium /pitch or a concert .

Lk also played Tipp in a back door game earlier that year in GG
Also the game wasn’t televised iirc .

I remember there was a furore over the home and away for back door games with cork and Tipp as there was no agreement .

Timmy Mc was a great bit of stuff

1 Like

A favourite of farmers nationwide. Him and John Power

1 Like

I idolised Tomas Quinn as a youngster. Met him in Gibneys a few years back. Seems like a decent fella. He had a lovely way of kicking the ball.

@the_puke used always have a lovely way of calling him by his full name, ‘the much maligned Timmy McCarthy’

Tomas is a gent. Particularly impressive considering he plays for Vincent’s

1 Like

John Power and Liam Dunned encounters were always robust

1 Like