All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

That’s Hazley though? Was referencing Drumm there.

My apologies

Id say hazeley left soon after that final also

Mick Holden was my favourite on the Dublin teams of the early to mid 1980s

The closest thing to a Kilkenny man to ever win an Ireland football medal

Stone mad for hurling was Mick by all accounts

Pat Canavan was outstanding in that final but didn’t have a particularly long career for Dublin either, I don’t think he played past 1986. It was a real hotch potch of a team, very transitional.

Stone mad for the smokes as well.

it was a hotch potch alright, not close in standard to the 1974 - 1977 team but had heroes

Kerry were there for the taking in the 1984 and 1985 finals if the Dubs had a little bit more to them

I believe so!! died young. RIP

My oul’ fella always said he knew Kerry would win in 1984 but he was certain Dublin would win 1985 and that it was one of the most disappointing defeats ever especially after getting back to within one point twice. Dublin did not turn up in the first half of that final at all.

I was too young for 1983 but it’s my favourite Dublin All-Ireland ever. The semi-finals against Cork are the two matches I would most liked to have attended. 1983 was pure raw football. Everything about it was raw. Magic stuff.

An all Ireland left behind by Cork in 1983?

They thought tadgh Murphy had won it for them.

On that basis you could argue Kerry left it behind them given Cork pulled off a smash and grab with the last kick against them.

Cork led by five points with about eight minutes of the drawn semi left but sort of fell back and Dublin picked them off with a classic goal to equalise. Cork then almost won it with the next and last attack. Dublin demolished them in the replay and left no doubts.

'83 is special because of the circumstances and how it happened, Barney Rock’s goal against Cork, beating Cork down there, beating Galway with 12 men. Dublin were not fancied at all before the championship but things fell into place for them. Beating Kerry in Killarney was the only thing that could have made it better.

Surely the 89 to 95 teams had more cult hero types Barr heery vinny Murphy etc?

yes it could be said Kerry left it behind them but once Cork pulled off the win , it opened up a big opportunity for Cork

Tommy Drumm is the top bollocks in Colleen Construction, they’re a fairly big outfit around Dublin

They 90s team only got one All-Ireland at the end of it all in which they fell over the line and they had a record of failing when the chips were down.

The '83 team only got one All-Ireland (most of them anyway) but it was the way it happened that made it.

Of the '83 team I’d regard Mullins, Duff, McNally, Holden and possibly Anton O’Toole as cult heroes. Barney Rock was never really a cult hero in the same way.

Of the 90s team, Barr and Murphy were cult heroes but Murphy didn’t feature that much in '95, he was only a sub by then and didn’t feature again after that until 2000. Sherlock was a cult hero in '95 but fell quite out of favour with the supporters for a good few years after that before regaining his status. Heery didn’t play in '95 and never won an All-Ireland. I wouldn’t really say he was a cult hero, he was liked and respected by the supporters but Barr was the most favoured son around that time. Charlie Redmond sort of attained hero status in his latter years but it wasn’t always like that with him.

Connolly is really the only real old style cult hero Dublin have had in latter years. Small is very like Heery in style.

Keaveney, Duff, Barr, Murphy and Connolly are the five I’d pick out above all others as the real idols of the Hill over the years.

1 Like

I knew that would draw a good reply from you :clap::clap:
And not a mention of trump or labane

What happened with Heery in 1995, he was a regular leading up to 1995?

I’d say one year in late 80s they must have had duff mcnally Murphy redmond and Barr all playing

He left the Dublin panel around May '94. I think the news of it broke the same weekend Senna got killed. I can’t remember exactly why it happened but there was definitely a falling out with Pat O’Neill. Heery had been shunted into the half forward line after 1992 and I’d say he wasn’t happy.

Dublin had an abundance of half backs at that time and all of them were shunted around at different points.

In '91 the half back line was Carr-Barr-Heery. Then in '92 Paul Curran moved back from corner or half forward to displace Carr who went to left corner back.

In '93 Barr was shunted up to 11 for a time and Heery went to 10. A guy called Paul O’Neill played at 7 against Kildare and Derry in '93. Carr didn’t play becasue he was suspended for the whole championship after getting sent off in the league final against Donegal.

In '94 Mick Deegan moved into Heery’s position and I’d guess Heery was pissed off at seemingly being third choice. The half back line became settled with Curran-Barr-Deegan for '94 and '95. Edit - I forgot Curran broke his collar bone against Meath and Paul Clarke took his position. Curran played at 4 in the final against Down when Mickey Linden roasted him.

Then Heery came back when Pat O’Neill left and Mickey Whelan took over. I’m sure I remember Heery aiming serious verbals at the crowd behind the goal who were booing Whelan after one of the league matches at Parnell Park where Dublin lost, probably the one against Offaly after which Whelan resigned.

2 Likes