All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

there was prob room for Heery in the 1995 half back line? play him on the wing and put Deegan in the corner??

yeah Curran was seriously roasted in the 1994 final by Linden

what was the re-jig that Curran finished up in the corner?

Liam Walsh came on corner back in the semi final and was a decent footballer, never got a run in the final. was young at the time and more into the hurling. wasn’t on the panel in 1995, stuck with the hurling.

What happened the young lad with the 2020 style fade haircut who played corner back in 95? Think he was jayos mate

Keith Galvin. He was fucking useless is what happened him.

3 Likes

Curran-Barr-Heery I think was the strongest line of that time but they only played together in 1992. There wasn’t much in it between Deegan and Heery, Deegan was more versatile but Heery was a better half-back.

Keith Galvin was at corner back in 1995 and was weak enough. Ciaran Walsh was probably a better option, he came in for the final when Dermot Deasy couldn’t play and had a great match.

The shunting half backs up too half forward never worked and it never worked later on with Shane Ryan. Carr’s last action in a Dublin jersey was a dreadful wide late in the drawn match with Kildare in '94, the one played the same day as the Ireland-Italy match. Everybody leaving that match said the same thing, that Carr was finished with Dublin after that, and he was.

I’ve seen it happen with a few players where a particular miss or a short spell effectively ends the careers of some players. Ray Cosgrave had such a miss against Kerry in 2007 though it wasn’t actually his last match - he came on as a sub in a Division 2 league final the next year against Westmeath in Navan and had a nightmare, and that was it. There was a guy Sean Cahill who scored a great point as a sub in the '94 final and started the first game against Louth in '95 also in Navan. He hit three wides in quick succession in the first half and got taken off and that was the end of his Dublin career. Again in Navan, Mickey Whelan brought in Dave Martin at full back and Damien O’Brien at corner forward for the first two matches in '96. It didn’t go well for either - O’Brien missed a sitter for a goal in one the matches, and they weren’t seen again.

my earlier point refers , surely was room for Heery on the wing, Deegan in the corner. Ciaran Walsh was no great shakes either

Curran broke his collar bone, I think it was in a club game straight after the Leinster final in '94, Paul Clarke had only been a sub against Meath but played well when he came on, he got Curran’s spot for the semi-final, Curran was fit for the final but they left Clarke at 5 and Linden was the danger man so Curran was given the job of marking him and Linden destroyed him in the first half, to be fair he probably would have destroyed anybody, there was one ridiculous point he got where he got the ball out on the wing and ran and beat Curran who tried everything bar rugby tackle him to the ground to stop him, he couldn’t do it. I think Curran was moved off him after half time and he scored a point himself as Dublin edged back into it.

No way was Curran a corner back man, serious wing back though, stylish on the ball

Linden may have been close to unmarkable as you say.

He nearly died in 1997. Can’t remember the exact nature of his illness but he thought it was something minor and turned out to be sepsis or something. He played as a half back in 1999 but that was the only time he was ever in favour after '95.

that Dublin team needed a blast of fresh air in 1995. Jayo and to a lesser extent Galvin gave it that

1 Like

Great player, got FOTY in '95 I think. Linden was FOTY in '94 and was completely unmarkable that year. He was 31 then but it was his career peak.

had the dubs any other option for Linden in 1994?

Jayo seemed to up the game of the players around him. Paul Clarke was very good in '95 and Dessie Farrell came into his own. Charlie Redmond and Mick Galvin were operating at a solid level.

Brian Stynes added a lot after he came in in '94. Jack Sheedy missed out due to injury which seemed a massive blow at the time but they overcame it.

Dublin were lucky in '95 though because Tyrone were weak enough. Derry probably left that one behind them by shooting themselves in the foot sacking Eamon Coleman. They would have been a tougher nut to crack.

Paddy Moran would have been the obvious one I’d have thought.

Definitely. Heery walked of his own accord because he was not happy with being played in the forwards. If he had of hung tough he would have probably been corner back. He was back in 96 but never got his all Ireland medal. Maybe this is the reason he is so angry since!

Has Heery kissed and made up with Shane Dalton yet?

I’m not sure. Heery goes jogging down the middle of the road in Marino glowering with his death stare, daring cars to beep at him. I’ll ask for you the next time I see him😉.

1 Like

Curran was the best club footballer in Dublin ifor years the 90’s…used to play a bit cnetee forwards but mainly centre back for David’s and was untouchable… Used to dominate games. Absolute roles Royce of a footballer… Bizarrely moved to crokes for a year or so but don’t think he played much for them. He then returned to Daviss who had been relegated form div. 1 at this stage I think .

He didn’t fit in with the middle classes. They used to sneer at the way he held his knife and fork when they’d go out for team dinners.

1 Like

He was going to get sent off eventually. Might as well get it over with early