All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

From memory there was a theory at the time that Asprilla upset the balance of they team and despite his brilliance they weren’t the same team

And discipline.

1 Like

White suits

Although they would have won the title the following season if Calamity James hadn’t constantly thrown the ball into the net.

I seem to remember another great Newcastle champions league campaign in the early 00s. I think they were the first club to qualify for the group stages after losing their first three group games. Bellamy was the main man for them then.

Souness ruined Newcastle afterwards

Keegan should have paid heed to the Malcolm Allison and Rodney Marsh 1972 precedent.

1 Like

Ah lads

Dagger to the heart

Ynwa

4 defeats in 6 for Newcastle

They won’t win the league now

I’d fear that they won’t come out of this lack of form

it was the beginning of the end for cork football that defeat v donegal in 2012- i hate that game - i had to turn it off
we were always a team who would go thru phases of low patches 91-92 , 96-97 and 00-05 but would then respond with an all ireland and a sequence of final appearances - all over now tho
im going from memoery here now @Dziekanowski help me out

87 - beaten by meath in final
88 - beaten by meath final
89 - champions beat mayo
90 - champions beat meath
91 - beaten by kerry munster semi
92 - beaten by kerry munster semi
93 - beaten by derry in final
94 - beaten by down semi final
95 - beaten by dublin semi final
96 - beaten by kerry munster final
97 beaten by clare munster semi final
98 - i cant remember
99 - beaten by meath in final
00 - i cant remember
01 - beaten by galway in QF
02 - beaten by kerry in AI SF
03 - beaten roscommon qualifier- beaten by limerick earlier
04 - beaten fermanagh qualifier
05 - cant remember
06 - beaten donegal QF
07 - beaten kerry in AI final
08 - cant remember
09 - beaten kerry in final
10 - all ireland champions beat down
11 - beaten mayo QF
12 - beaten donegal SF
13 - beaten dublin QF
14 - destroyed by kerry
15 - took kerry to a replay - beaten by kildare on a sat night in front of 2k
16 - beaten by Tipp
17 - i cant remember did we scrape by waterford by a point
18 - beaten by tyrone by 20 points
19 - lost all 3 qualifiers
20 div 3

92 beaten by Kerry Munster quarter-final
98 beaten by Kerry by 5 in Munster semi-final in Killarney - Cork got a goal by Alan O’Regan to go ahead wih about 15 minutes left but Maurice Fitzgerald goaled in reply straight away and that was that.
2000 - beaten by Kerry by in Munster semi-final in Killarney - Kerry lead by 10 or 11 at one stage but Cork got back to one point down inside the last 10 mins but Kerry pulled ahead again.
2001 they were beaten by Galway in a R4 qualifier at Croke Park - similar to 2000 they fell well behind but got back to one point down in the last 10 mins before Galway pulled away again.
2005 hammered by Kerry in A-I S/F - Tom Humphries remarked the next day that journalists seemed more interested in how the 4th Ashes Test at Trent Bridge was going.
2006 beaten by Kerry in A-I S/F by 6 or 7.
2008 beaten by Kerry in a replay in A-I S/F by 3 - Cork had a big chance to win that.
2017 I can’t remember either.

1 Like

2017 - or 16 - one of them anyway - nearly beat Mayo AET in Limierick

That was 2017. I was in Cork that weekend for All Ireland hurling quarter final weekend at the reopened Pairc Ui Chaoimh and had to ask to get the Cork game put on the telly in the hotel. It was a Saturday evening Sky TV game played in lovely sunshine.

I had a largish bet on that match with former poster @Nembo_Kid, I lost but the proceeds went towards @Locke’s charity and became a nice little earner for DS Ireland with multiple posters inspired by Nenbo’s generosity, the genesis of the TFK charitable/human wing

7 Likes

Think said it before but in 3 (three) years of TFKrs donating to the DSI charity around the cycle I go on we’ve raised around €4,5k I’d say. Some generosity around here :clap: :clap:

7 Likes

When you consider how many we have from Tipp that number is truly startling

7 Likes