All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

Wonderful stuff. Tfk can be a great place at times.

1 Like

Watching the 2004 Leinster Semi Final on GAA.ie at the minute and a few things stand out. Wexford forwards are trying to use the ball and move the Kilkenny backs around. Like a raw template of what’s become standard now. I was at this game and remember the movement off their puck outs. Again it was quite novel at the time.
John O’Connor was captain of Wexford that year. This was his debut or in the words of Marty,”day-boo”. Has there ever been a player who made their championship debut as the county captain? He also didn’t last long in the team after 2004.
Finally, Peter Finnerty is a dour co commentator.

1 Like

@balbec and I were doing charity bets five years ago. @flattythehurdler got a couple of hundred sterling for a local respite home iirc

2 Likes

Did we win one each?

Pa O’Neill of Tipperary in 1988?

Wexford’s wing forwards simultaneously making cross-field runs from puck-outs was novel at the time. Instead of the wing backs holding position, the Kilkenny lads followed their markers, space was created and it allowed Wexford get their share of primary possession. I understand this was a player driven game plan at the time and I must watch this game later on. It was kinda new not to lorry puck outs as high and as far as you could. I maintain that Cusack and Cark followed this template, but the Cark lads will argue that Cusack was a pioneer.

Kieran McGuckian of Cork in 1990 almost definitely,

He was definitely captain in the Munster final but not the All-Ireland final. I think I would be right in saying Cork beat Tipperary in 1990 without Tomas Mulcahy and Teddy McCarthy?

Pa O’Neill was captain of Tipp in 1988 when they won the league and Munster but was dropped for the All-Ireland. I don’t recall him featuring in 1987 or after 1988 but open to correction.

Brian Hogan made his debut at wing back that day and Sean Dowling was the other wing. Pace wouldn’t have been their strength. Add in Peter Barry at centre back and that’s not the quickest half back line. Wexford certainly played to their strengths that day.

1 Like

That ye did, and that it did. Went to Irish community care. I put the thankyou letter up , along with my name and address like an idiot ,so had to take it down. It was a really kind gesture which I never forgot.

3 Likes

Peter finnerty is a hardy oul bastard and by all accounts a gent, but wouldn’t be first choice of after dinner speaker.
I was at a dinner wan time where ja Fallon was guest of honour. He told one mediocre joke and sat down.

Apparently there’s some sort of virtual grand national today to bet on. I think the max bet is a tenner though, and bookies are giving their profits to charity.

To be fair Ja’s football did the talking . A super player

4 Likes

He was. He seemed pleasant, if a little, let’s say quirky.

2010 AI Final

Pete reassured me at HT in the jacks of Hogan Stand that KK hauling Tipp back in to a 1pt lead was a blessing in disguise.
He was adamant that Tipp going in 4pts clear was no use and that Tipp now would see the job out.

Watched that match in a pub in Killarney whilst on a club trip to West Cork. Some of us headed over to Killarney for a Munster semi final Kerry v Cork. A prominent club member from Kilkenny got some stick in the Danny Mann that day. Poor Lad.

He was like the postman. He always delivered

2 Likes

Which game mate?
This is an important part you’ve left out.

He is a gent. A few of us met him the night before the 2010 All-Ireland. @Fat_Pox and a few of us.

3 Likes

We must have been sat very near each other that day. I had Warwickshire tickets. I love sitting up there. Front row middle tier behind the goal is the best seat in the house (wasn’t front row)
What a game that was.