All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

The Royal Marine

WINNER

The draw wasn’t allowed on tv and was an 8 (eight) goal thriller, as indeed was the 2009 semi final

1 Like

Was that the game Timmy McCarthy ended up commenting on? There was some reference to John Mullane shaking and baking his marker.

1 Like

Timmy did a smattering of matches for RTE around 2009/10, Donegal-Antrim in '09 was one.

When I heard the Olympics were postponed last week he was the first thing that came to mind.

If Leix had done any bit of physical training that year they would have bate Lk

The very one

Cork stayed in Barry’s Hotel the night of the 1953 Final. The losing Galway team came down to visit them again the morning after.

The Voice of Basketball.

There used to be a further banquet type function the following day at lunchtime with the 4 teams participating the previous day in attendance. Traditionally held at the winning teams hotel. Definitely continued through the nineties not sure when it stopped.

Did that stop after the Meath-Mayo fiasco in 1996 - it definitely happened that year and was apparently awkward to say the least.

such an event used take place alright

A member of the Galway hurling team in the late 80s who I have forgotten recalled a function meeting journalists the night BEFORE the All Ireland. He mentioned Con Houlihan being in attendance.

1 Like

“The Captain’s Table” in the Sindo is another long lost little All-Ireland final tradition.

2 Likes

I’m gonna say no

That was a cracking game.

It was a bit of a free for all - there was a free bar and table service. I attended one where there would have been no animosity between the competing teams and it was a messy affair.

Do tell.

No big Revelations, mostly the Offaly lads paying 100% homage to their stereotype.