All Ireland Gold or now to be known as old matches on d’tele

You’re right. You did. Just checked 7:45pm Cluichi na Bliana @flattythehurdler

1 Like

Think it was 2002 Qualifier. Cork won itby 1 point. Very good drawn match Waterford v Limerick in 2003. Think there might have been an RTE strike at the time and no cameras at it.

Saw a programme one time - may have been a laochra gael on Flynn. Somebody said on it that it was a sort of a tennis ball strike with the hurl coming over the top of the ball and that it was something he’d worked on for some time.

2006 was a poor enough game . Lk were fired up under Richie after an awful championship campaign . Cork were off key on the day if truth told .

Lk played cork in thurles in 2002 in a qualifier game and both teams were frankly awful. Cork won by a point or two and were in turn walloped by an average Galway team

I’d have considered the 2006 a good contest. Limerick were expected to be annihilated and nearly managed to dig out a famous win. Quality mightn’t have been great but there was great tension in the second half and plenty of niggle

Limerick set the template that day which Cody perfected in the aif on how to beat that Cork team.

Cork v Limerick in 2001 was a good game. Limerick won by a point. That was the day Sully gave Jack Foley the shunt. Limerick weren’t too far away in 2001 in what was a year of very close matches all round.

Damien Fitzhenry last minute goal against Limerick won that All Ireland for Tipperary.

People go on about that like saving a ball with top spin on it is some impossible task when it really isn’t

Limerick should really have got to he All Ireland that year. That’s one they definitely left behind.

You aul rogue

It was and it wasn’t . Lk were nearly as good as any that year but not really better than the teams they beat that year . The season was consistent in that a decent season wasn’t followed up the next year . Ah well .

If Limerick had beaten Wexford they’d have played Kilkenny in a semi final in 2001 and Tipperary would have Galway in semi.

Galway a trickier proposition in a semi than a final.

Limerick lost a Munster Final to Tipperary by 2 points, they could easily have won. Mind you Waterford should have beaten Limerick. Clare lost to Tipperary by 1 point and Cork lost to Limerick by 1 point in matches that could easily have gone the other way.

Wexford got a run on Tipperary in 2nd half of drawn semi final and if the ref hadn’t blown it up short on injury time, Wexford were likelier winnners.

Very tight margins all round in 2001.

1 Like

A brilliant championship that year .

While they probably weren’t the best team to ever win an All Ireland that Tipp team didn’t lose a match all year between all the competitions which is a great achievement

1 Like

Nicky made them more than the sum of their parts.

5 Likes

The 2002 semi v Kk was a cracking game

It was but KK were a class above that day. Goal for Tip early in second half had them in touch throughout but KK were much better side from what I remember.

Was it Brian O’Meara who got goal? I remember John Carroll doing all the work and someone scoring from a rebound.

Top spin was the phrase I couldn’t remember. It wouldn’t be the normal way to strike a ball in hurling and to go for it in a Munster final is ballsy. I think I rmember from that programme some notion of percentages. Top spinning towards the bar and chances are it would scrape over the bar but every now and again it might dip under.

The replay?
Best match I was ever at I’d say

Were you on the terrace? Apparently a lot of people fainted in crushes on the Killinan End.

Yeah. High up. Had the grandest of views. Place was heaving alright