All Ireland Hurling Championship 2018

Points 1 and 2 are connected. Murphy is headless. Even last year he was at fault at same venue and stage for a goal just before half time. By playing a sweeper you are now handing initiative to opponents. Liam Ryan was well able for Conlon on his own without any help, Reck in the other corner was fine too. The point can be made that Wexford hit a lot of wides but when you are outnumbered in offensive positions scoring is going to be harder allied to the fact that there will be more lower % shots taken from out the field. Wexford had players like McDonald, Chin, O Connor who could have exploited lack of Clare aerial prowess in full back line but instead they elected to play short passes out the field. Indeed when they went route 1 towards the end of the game they eked out a number of goal chances. Wexford have some very good forwards that are being stifled by this system of play. The system is also malfunctioning at the other end with possession being coughed up regularly. All those individual mistakes has to have a debilitating effect on team morale.

2 Likes

Animals

4 Likes

I broadly agree, but think it might have been Eoin Moore who coughed up the goal against Waterford last year.

I was guilty of overrating Murphy in the initial stages of Davyā€™s reign, especially after he had a brilliant game in the league quarter final when we beat Kilkenny in Nowlan Park. But it was the exception and not the rule. Weā€™re playing a sweeper but still conceding large tallies and giving the ball away carelessly, often through Murphy, when trying to build attacks from the back.

what was the big panic keeping the banner men off the pitch? have the stewards not realised Cork donā€™t need PUC for the super 8s so no need to be minding the sod for an upcoming match

Bad form to see the Goslinā€™ being man handled in that manner

I just think a more direct style of play is needed. Need to be playing the game in the oppositions half of the field. Let them make mistakes. Iā€™m always in favour of a high press. There were so many mistakes in the first half that could have been avoided. Line balls seemed to be a liability, Murphy and O Keeffe got blocked and had several misplaced passes, some short stick passes went to players in worse positions from where the ball originated from. Hurling is an instinctive chaotic game where you advance the ball as quickly as possible. Even if you take first 5 minutes of second half, Mark Fanning and Murphy both had frees after defensive players winning great ball. Both got too cute with them and a Clare man took advantage on both occasions. How demoralizing must that be if you are just after busting a gut to dispossess a player. If you cant win possession you have no business playing. Playing down the channels and playing lateral passes never really served anyone well in the history of the game.

#justiceforthegoslin

1 Like

Frank will want the All Ireland hurling final down there. No need to go Dublin tgen

Clare were excellent in the first half, Wexford were poor throughout though. The game was over at half time realistically.

On another note, Iā€™m getting sick of Eddie Brennans punditryā€¦itā€™s complete shite and that polish up term is really patronising at this stage to Wexford.

Cyril was on fire on the other hand. Had a cut at Croke park over having concerts on during the championship and blamed them for the shite attendance today.

1 Like

The shite attendance today was absolutely the GAAs fault. Coupled with Corks insistence on hosting one of the games. Their treatment of the hurling championship this year has been nothing short of shambolic

2 Likes

Should have made it a double header in thurles tomorrow. Being televised should be the 2nd consideration really.

And obviously Cark should be told to fuck off for themselves.

2 Likes

A 7pm start on a Saturday is just about palatable. Anything earlier on a Saturday forget about it.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t think Clare were great but it was just about winning and putting the Munster Final defeat to bed for them and moving onto the next stage. Their performance today doesnā€™t necessarily have to have any bearing on how theyā€™ll get on the next day. What they had was different players stepping up and doing excellent things at various stages, but I didnā€™t think it was a consistently good display throughout. Kelly was brilliant in the first half and Conlon late on, for example. They were more efficient in front of goal and knitted some nice passages of play together in the second quarter in particular, but the healthy gap created in the first half was enabled by Wexford players literally tipping the ball to them under no pressure and watching it get drilled back over the bar. I think their defensive unit will struggle to cope with Galway though.

4 Likes

Has the much maligned Jack Browne done enough for all star consideration yet? Yet another day where he win his battle.

Wexford were a carbon copy of Clare in July circa 2014 to 2016 today. Sad to see

2 Likes

Nothing went right for Wexford though. It was a very cagey opening 10 minutes for both teams, but after that Wexford were messing up sidelines, puckouts and essentially played into Clare hands.

I agree though, Tony Kelly in the first half was excellent. Made shit of the sweeper system with his movement.

The second half was more less a non eventā€¦even with Wexfords goal, I never got the feeling that yeā€™d pull the lead back fully, unfortunately.

All of these excuses for 10k at the game are perfectly reasonable tbh. Joke of a time. Long trip etc. All valid.

When munster get 10k on a saturday arvo or friday nt (in winter) for one of their 20 odd home games a season the usual suspects are hopping up and down like sausages in a pan though. Gas gas cunts :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

To be fair you were spot on

Sure how would you cope with the expense and they on the road so much and 3pm on a saturday how would you manage that tis a pure cod etc etc

Kelly needs to come out for 70 minutes not 35

1 Like