All Ireland Hurling Championship 2018

Forwards were never an issue for WD, it getting a FB line together is their constant failing.

Forwards are their issue at the moment

1 Like

So they currently can defend or score, @peddlerscross wonā€™t like that. :speak_no_evil:

They generally can defend

Daithi has an all Ireland club football final to think about too .

Just stop.

Conceded three goals in last yearā€™s championship

Waterford have lots of good forwards. The issue is that there is rarely more than two of them playing in the forward line at any given time.

1 Like

Who are these loads of good forwards? They donā€™t have one top class forward, Tipp have three or four, Galway have three probably

No one has as good a set of forwards as Tipp.

Paraic Mahony, Kevin Moran, Austin, Shane Bennett, Devine, Pat Curran and Stephen Bennett are good forwards. They rarely get to show it because they are generally outnumbered. Dj Foran was outstanding for UCD in Fitzgibbon and has the makings of a top player too.

1 Like

Waterford have some decent forwards but lack a really classy, consistent scoring one. McGrath also seems to be too choppy changey with them too. Dillon, Dunford, Curran etc all either seem to be flavour of the month and nailed on starters or little or no gametime over the last couple of seasons and nothing in between.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no way of knowing if Stephen Bennett, Devine or Curran are good enough at this level, some of that is down to the system but you canā€™t just say they are good forwards at intercounty level without any proof. Pauric Mahoney is a nice hurler but a real luxury player at times. Aussie isnā€™t really a forward and is very hot and cold up there. Shane Bennett isnā€™t on the panel this year iirc. Kevin Moran is good but heā€™s into his 30ā€™s now also. That forward line isnā€™t good enough to win an All Ireland and McGrath is doing well to get them so close

Theyā€™re all adequate but no more, Moran has been an outstanding hurler for many years, but in the workhorse mod for the most part, Mahony is a great free taker and scorer when he has space and handy ball, Ozzie could be great. They canā€™t compete with the top 2 sets of forwards,

When Aussie is hot he is red hot. I think Devine, Curran and Stephen Bennett have shown enough at under age and Fitzgibbon to indicate they have what it takes. I forgot Maurice too. I think the forwards are good enough but the full back line is probably not hence Derek plays the system he does. I was not intending to be critical of Derek. I think he is a very decent man giving it everything he has.

Showing it at underage and Fitzgibbon isnā€™t enough. Coughlan is the issue, the two corner backs are fine

I think Devane will be easily enough managed on a fast summer pitch. His technique and striking are pretty slow.

Surely itā€™s time for Shanahan to play a full part from the start again rather than being one of the forward impact subs.

After the defeat to Cork in Munster last year, they pretty much lined up with Barron and Moran in midfield and then a half forward line from right to left of Walsh, Gleeson and Mahony, and an inside two of Bennett and Dillon.

Will Walsh start this year? Whatā€™s their best 5 assuming they play De Burca in the free role at the back again? Could one or two of Oā€™Halloran, Devine, the Tommy chap or Shanahan start ahead of Walsh (if time ultimately catches up with him) and/or Dillon and improve it?

If they persist with the Sweeper system then Thomas Ryan inside with Maurice could work but then again, tie him down & they are back to square one.
Moran excelled last season breaking forward for them getting important scores & goals but will he still be able for that this season?
Brick again, can he keep rolling back the years.

Top players (often with huge egos) do think like that though.

So much so that itā€™s unlikely to happen again.

Burke seems like a particularly strong character

No its not.
They have 2/3 parts of an excellent FB line.

Their problem is not scoring goals or enough long range points