All Ireland Hurling Championship 2018

If Casey was awarded that free to go 9pts up Limerick would have won by 10-12pts.

A common refrain I’m hearing and seeing is club that have players (students) not prepared to cut their summer abroad short for club games now played in August, instead of mid to late September.

The designated month of the club in April was a white elephant. League games had to be rescheduled into April because surprise surprise there were weather enforced cancellations from a league that was played off mostly in late January and February. Division 4 of the Football League wasn’t even finished. On top of that, a lot of inter county teams weren’t releasing players to their clubs in April.

The All Ireland Hurling Championshio this year was 20 games shoehorned into 5 weeks up until 17 June, right across student exam period. After 17 June, there were only 7 serious games left across the best summer weather in 40 years, albeit that turned out to be 9 with two draws.

1 Like

You’re some clubman I’d say Geoff

Give the county teams April so county season February to August bank holiday. Club season starts mid August. You obviously don’t support a club team but I do and look forward to seeing them play.

The seasons have to be completely separated as you suggest. April is a load of shite

1 Like

The pre season tournaments have to be scrapped.

4 Likes

What difference would scrapping pre season tournaments make?

Scrapped or not, Limerick won’t be taking part in the Munster League next year.

Returning the Shitgibbon Cup to straight knockout would be a help too.

Yeah,something needs to be done. All Ireland club in calendar year is a must. Limerick champs for example this year should be straight into Munster semi. Counties whos county teams do well should get extra few weeks to finish their championship.

1 Like

I played club hurling into my early 40’s.

5 Likes

You don’t seem too worried about them now

Having one pre-season tournament instead of two would be a start. The Walsh Cup/Munster League and the League take about four months as long to play off as the premier tournament, the Championship. If they’re going to continue with a league type Championship structure,a few warm up games in March/early April and then the Chamionship from late April to the first Sunday with proper rest periods of two weeks between games.

The signs were there all season of the consequences of players and teams getting flogged to death. Offaly, Wexford, Waterford and Tipperary the four sides that played four weeks running were disproportionately badly hit. Tipperary in their fourth game against Clare were physically spent by 60 minutes and coughed up a 7 point lead which would have seen them advance instead of Clare. Wexford lost a 9 point second half lead to Kilkenny, Waterford already beset by injuries, having to press injured players into action bringing on more injuries. Then Offaly with the smallest pool of players to begin with flogged to death by the time Dublin came around in Match 4, the match that was always going to define the season for both Offaly and Dublin and retention of Liam McCarthy Cup status. All culminated in last weeks final when you had two excellent teams not doing themselves justice for large sections of the final because they were so knackered.

2 Likes

You were telt…

That’d cut the throat of mileagents, and possibly scholarships alike.

I know. Sure I told Brian Cody too but he wouldn’t listen.

It’s not all about county hurling mate, nobody involved wants to scrap the Fitzgibbon, this stupid pre season leagues are what needs to go, let them organise a few friendlies if they want, even the real league is a friendly competition,

The national league should be in Jan and Feb and an All Ireland round robin held in April,May and June.
AI final played on last Sunday in June.
Gaelic football should be abandoned.

3 Likes

It pretty much has been bud.

1 Like

Where did I suggest scrapping it?

You say it’s not all about county. How many non inter-county players are on Fitzgibbon panels, do you reckon?

Unpopular Opinion: Quaid’s flick/save against Cork has been over exaggerated in terms of the skill itself (I think he even kinda admitted it in an interview i read too). Seen it a million times in open play a fella flick it away as a player goes to strike.

In terms of context of the game and decisive moment yeah I agree it was huge & saved our season.

Had to get it off my chest. Go on tell me it was the greatest ‘save’ you’ve ever seen.

Love to see him get an all star nonetheless.

1 Like