All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

It’s more the Brian Kidd scenario. Fanning doesn’t have the body of work behind him that Brian Clough has when he hopped from Derby to Leeds.

What has puzzled me from the start about it all is, why what on first glance would appear like a very attractive job, a young team that were possibly a bad wide away from really seizing the initiative and winning the All Ireland Final in 2017, having won an U21 in 2016 did they end up with a managerial novice a little over 12 months later. Well. A novice in terms of the top job.

Are the players seen as troublesome, too much player power, or is it down to the County Board for whatever reason, financial or otherwise?

Cork bate us by 7 and should have bate us by another 10

Great recollection there mike. That was some walloping.

1 Like

No money basically. Players turned the initial choice off with their bollixology

He was but not with the heavy padding over the elbow.

Typical townies

At least you put manners on @anon61878697

The initial choice wasn’t exactly Jurgen Klopp either. The county board is flat broke and that won’t get any better when they start to redevelop Walsh Park. To get a manager in from Cork or Clare or wherever costs money that we don’t have so we are stuck with either having a local or some rube trying to build his cv and therefore prepared to do it on the cheap.

I would also add that the county board is comically incompetent and wouldn’t have a notion about how to begin to fundraise

But Derek was costing a solid fortune. A good manager will organise his own money.

I’d say top table incompetence is the problem here more than anything.

Wasn’t Pat Ryan the first choice?

Derek must have been costing a fortune in grub with the size of him.

2 Likes

You’re at nothing without a billionaire sugar daddy bankrolling an inter county hurling team. You wouldn’t have a loose few hundred thousand lying around yourself to finance it?

Davy will if the money is right

Derek had a few benefactors to sweeten the deal.

I believe Pat Ryan was the first choice alright. Didn’t he withdraw his name for health reasons?

The people of Waterford were very accommodating. Lovely salt of the earth types… From the staff in Iceland where I parked outside, the bar people in Kitty’s, the crowd around us, to the few different sets of sound skins that I met walking back to the car.

2 Likes

And player dictating selectors?

They thought you were a foreign sailor.

1 Like

Caught a bit of Derek on the radio with Marty Morrissey earlier. He did sound very pleased with himself. He was regaling the listeners with tales of the 5-17 that Kevin Moran and Jamie Barron scores from midfield in the 2017
Championship.

2 Likes

Preserving his mental health I’d say.

Fuck Tipp.

4 Likes