All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

Tonight must be arguably the sweetest win of Conal Keaneyā€™s career

And there was me and everybody else writing him off not long ago on these pages

Thankfully he didnā€™t listen

2 Likes

Big question mark over limericks all Ireland win. Beat an average galway team it seems.

Two traditional provincial finals on the cards.
Wexford v Killkenny and Cork v Tipp.
The more they try and change the more it stays the same.

Sure we knew weā€™d have another shot

Either way the Leinster final will see a long famine ended

Wexford without a Leinster title for 15 years and Kilkenny for 3 years

Lack of a reliable goalkeeper and free taker cost Wexford the win there. Kilkenny were on the ropes. Mind you Liam Spratt on South East radio proffered the view early in his commentary that Mark Fanning has evolved into the best goalkeeper in the land.

1 Like

Galway gone, pick the right battles to win,see Limerick tomorrow

Aidan Nolan got a straight red card after the final whistle. He sprinted up to Fergal Horgan, got in his face and presumably was fucking him out of it for something or other. Seemed a weird reaction. Did Sky show that?

Kilkenny had a few poor wides in the second half (Leahy x2, Maher come to mind) and also hit the post, but we gave them 1-1 after half time via uncharacteristic Kevin Foley errors, hit the post twice ourselves, botched some clear cut goal chances and had a couple of bad point attempts (David Dunneā€™s effort late on was particularly brutal).

I thought we were the better side on the balance of play but didnā€™t captialise enough on the scoreboard.

Playing 5 forward limits us, especially if a couple of them donā€™t fire like tonight. We donā€™t have enough pace up there when we play McGovern midfield and if Dunbar doesnā€™t get into the game. That said, Jack Oā€™Connor made a great impact off the bench and Chinner stood up too. Oā€™Keeffe had a massive first half with all the points (Buckley didnā€™t look match fit).

As for our defense, Oā€™Hanlon and Ryan did well enough on Reid and Fennelly, though the two of them are good enough to make an impact anyway. P Foley also did fine on Walsh. Given those three were held fairly well, Iā€™d have expected us to win. Mullen rebounded strongly after being taken off before half time last week. Despite only conceding 1-18, we kind of look a bit last ditch back there at times (even with the comfort blanket of the sweeper).

I acknowledge our method of playing isnā€™t for the purists, but itā€™s great to be consistently competitive again.

3 Likes

Iā€™m actually shocked at how underrated this Wexford side are.

1 Like

That wexford v kk game was just awful. Typical Leinster wrestlingā€¦ Woeful stuff.

1 Like

A Tipp v Wexford final on the cards. Sheedy v Davy

And Tipp and Cork and Waterford and Kilkenny

1 Like

Theyā€™ll be bate by the first munster side they meet

Iā€™ve had lasagne with chips and a side salad, a jam and cream donut, a slice of apple tart with vanilla ice-cream and two (2) cups of tea since arriving at my auld wanā€™s house after the match at 9pm. Sheā€™s making me a Baileys Coffee as I touch my phone screen.

17 Likes

Ultimately Galway paid the price for being the decent sorts that they are and going easy on Carlow.

1 Like

Would it be fair to say you were ravenous?

2 Likes

Congrats mate. The good days make the bad days worth it.
Yeā€™ll be a tough team to beat always, but the lack of fire power upfront will be your downfall.
KK are there for the taking in the Leinster final if ye push up a bit more and trust your backs. Iā€™m not saying abandon the sweeper as that wonā€™t happen, but thereā€™s no need for the rest of the forwards to be so deep when ye have a sweeper.
Enjoy the pints Iā€™d say theyā€™ll taste lovely after that

Nolan didnā€™t know the permutations and thought Wexford needed the win. Gave the ref a piece of his mind for blowing it up a little early because he thought Wexford were gone. He thought there was time for Wexford to go on and win it.

Congrats to Wexford and KK and Dublin, yeā€™ll be easy pickings for us.

Do you think @Bandage is Davy Fitz?

6 Likes

The co commentator mentioned it but didnā€™t say why