All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

Oh yeah and Diarmuid O’Keeffe was absolutely the best player on view last night. Not just his 4 points from play but his work rate, winning of dirty ball and link play were superb.

He’s really starting to fulfil the promise he showed when winning the Tony Forrestal Player of the tournament in 2006.

1 Like

With Galway gone, the All Ireland looks like a shootout between Tipperary and Limerick.

Cork are grand tipp tappy lads but no better or worse than the Leinster trio.

Two outrageous ones where lads were bottled up/pinned and managed to raise a hand above their head and just throw it away from at a height. But sure I never complain about refereees.

Am I harsh on Fanning? Is it a blind spot? 5-3 up and he catches a speculative effort from Leahy, which would have dropped wide, outside the post solos across the goal and hits it away on his left to a Kilkenny player at midfield. A couple of quick transfers later and Deegan is knocking it over. From resultant puck out he tries to hit Chin on the run but it’s marginally too high (Deegan hurts himself disrupting it) and Walsh catches and returns it over the bar. 5-3 to 5-5 just like that.

Think Kevin Foley needs to take about 67%-73% blame for the goal but Fanning gave him a floaty ball that bounced before him. If he gives him a ball into the chest with a bit of conviction then Foley isn’t concerned about Fennelly approaching and doesn’t mess up.

To his credit he drilled a great puck out to O’Keeffe under the stand for a nice first half point and caught a couple of good balls under the bar amidst swinging hurls but I feel he’s just too careless at times.

Playing a short one to Simon Donohoe wouldn’t rank too highly on the to do list either, pal.

We shipped 1-3 from poor puck outs last night although Foley should have controlled the one he got even if it wasn’t ideal.

Yeah Donohoe giving them a point before half time for catching it three times after accepting a short puck out was poor.

We left around 1-4 out there and conceded about the same from self-inflicted errors.

We’ll surely knit it all together and beat someone (other than Carlow) by around 10-13 points later in the championship.

@gilgamboa said it right earlier, Wexford were the aggressors last evening. What has happened in the past is in the past. We’re trying to play an expansive game and Wexford just scamped for the evening :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Wed bate wexford a score a man FFS

10 Likes

The sweeper would be watching the ball sail in over the bar from 80 yards out all day.

2 Likes

:joy::joy: wed be driving it in long off the puck outs and driving it back out to the shooting options

Thats the nature of short puck outs though. Any mistake is magnified with little focus on how many scores were achieved through successful execution.

If you went long each time, you probably would have coughed up more than the 1-3.

2 Likes

Oh Jesus!! Deegan scored the point and was hit straight after and had to eventually go off. Another dirty stroke missed by the ref

When Wexford rolled out our expansive game with short passes, angled runs and quick interchanges poor Rory O’Connor was cleaved by a Harald Schumacheresque two footed torpedo tackle by the keeper.

2 Likes

That nullifies any gripe Kilkenny may have had. That was a 100% red card

1 Like

The standard of refereeing leaves a lot to be desired. Frees one day are not another. The lack of consistency is just not good enough.

2 Likes

Deegan cleaved himself off the back of chin and Walsh scored.

Bad sign when teams alter their approach based on who is reffing

1 Like

Very soft frees for lads falling over and then missing blatant frontal charges & thrown balls. Horgan was as bad as I’ve seen in a while last night

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying we shouldn’t take short puck outs. I think his execution and decision making are suspect at times when delivering them and deciding who to hit. He mixes the good and the bad. He was involved in a smashing second half ROC point in fairness too - catching a ball in the square, a little pass to K Foley, onto Reck, forward to O’Hanlon, beautiful diagonal pass to ROC who caught and spun onto his left to score. We played some delightful stuff when we opened our legs and expressed ourselves.

2 Likes

KK players have the fine art of the over the head handpass off to a tee. Don’t know what the fuss is about

If you read his post you’ll note that he says ROC was lucky to escape a red but that the referee was fair.

Wexford being the aggressors doesn’t infer dirt. It just means in his view we hit harder than Kilkenny did.

I think anyone playing Kilkenny expects them to be filthy so they just get on with it. And with Cody refereeing we don’t have much choice.