All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

Couple of you given a tap in there.

1 Like

Hard done by is a touch strong, perhaps they could be deemed to be unlucky.

Every team got 2 weeks off out of 6 and nobody had to play 3 weeks in a row.

The 6-day turnaround for their last two games was always potentially dangerous (same went for Kilkenny) and the GGA and TV schedulers should maybe look to ensure teams always have 7 days between games.

But earlier in the round robin, for example, Wexford had back to back away games in Dublin and Galway in weeks 2 and 3 respectively, and they faced Galway who had been idle in week 2.

The very nature of an imbalance in terms of number of teams always means you’ll be playing someone who’s had a bye the week before at some stage.

If you look at each teams fixtures, you’d find faults. Wexford went in “cold” to their first game, away to Dublin who had a game under their belt. Then 7 days later had to go away to Galway who not only had a game under their belt but had 2 weeks to prepare. To have back to back away fixtures with no break is tough. But also no reason for excuse, you play the teams, you either win or dont. Fuck Galway

3 Likes

I wonder.

I think the timing of the training regime was poor. Heard that there was pretty physical stuff still going on in the week leading up to the Wexford game. From then on it was to be all stick work and the work done in the camp in Carton house showed up well in the KK game. Also heard Lukasz has moved into rugby circles which probably didnt help.

A few things fucked us but ultimately we were well off the mark.

• Thomases fellas, Oranmore fellas and Daithi Burke are burned out, badly need a rest.
  • Lack of a solid fee taker, I mean Niall Burke was the free taker against Carlow and then Flynn against Wexford, Cathal Mannion against Dublin… wtf like.
  • Whelan getting injured against Dublin
9 Likes

Carlow were in the same boat last year . They gave 3 days drinking before they played limerick . It leaves a whale sized asterisk besides Lk All Ireland win

1 Like

This will attract a lot of riff raff from Limerick. Do the GAA ever learn.

Canning seemed to be left half forward when he came on based on Sunday Game highlights. Was he being marked by Crummey?

Dublin lost one of their best players aT full back and don’t think we had a shot on goal. Did Glynn spend anytime at full forward, twas hard make out with that clown on GBFM moaning about the ref rather than commentating on the game.

1 Like

No idea mate.

The solution is simple. Top team in munster wins the munster championship. No need for a final as it’s guaranteed to be a repeat game and winner plays winner of 3rd in Leinster v Joe Mac winners.
If they got rid of the provincial finals they could stagger the calendar, in the same window of time, much better preventing this 3 week in a row problem and having plenty hurling every weekend instead of 4 games every weekend.
The problem in current format is repeat match ups guaranteed and basically no difference between 3rd and 2nd with an argument to be made that 2nd has a much worse route.

No they wouldn’t. If you took Carlow matches out of it Galway are still behind Dublin. Their only win was a 1 point win over KK, I wish people would stop with the poor Galway speil. They were so bad at home to Wexford they got exactly what they deserved.

For the record take away Carlow the points difference among the four is.

Kilkenny +5, -1 & 0 = +4
Wexford- 0, 0 & 0 = 0
Dublin -5, 0 & +4 = -1
Galway- 0, +1 & -4 = -3

2 Likes

The GBAYFM lads were seething through the first half alright. Dont recall Glynn going in there at all.

If he was getting no change out of Crummy that’s where he should have been sent. Even if Crummy went with him it would have stopped two Dublin goals.

1 Like

its a tough one alright

how to create a tournament with only 6 teams in it that lasts a season

11 Likes

Wexford! Wexford! Wexford!

Ok mate.

Pause for a second and cool your jets.

Hurling is fucked, handing out All Irelands now to teams with the most defeats/draws. It’s a backward setup which rewards backward counties. There is a giant asterix already imposed on this years ‘champions’.

I hope Fergal Horgan is lenient with Aidan Nolan in his match report. Severe verbals might warrant a 2-game ban otherwise. Having seen that All Ireland Final Day documentary when Horgan took charge of Galway-Waterford, he communicates with players and seems like a reasonable sort. I’d say he gave Nolan every opportunity to walk away but the red mist must have descended. I don’t expect Wexford to appeal, but a 1-game ban would be the best realistic outcome.

I thought our panel was strengthening but he only used 3 subs when push came to shove on Saturday night. Jacko made a great impact and Nolan himself was good. David Dunne is wildly unpredictable. We’ll miss Nolan in the Leinster Final and any injuries would really hurt us.

1 Like

Poor misfortune.

Why so sour?