All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

Sheedy wants to be the first hurling manager to win an all Ireland with seven wins and no defeats

There will be an update after training tonight . Heā€™s had previous with hamstring trouble

1 Like

Lose Munster and they are out a week later? A draw could fuck both right up.

He might pay for that ā€” You play the system pal.

Against Dublin is it? Either team would win that handy

No. I think barring a draw, thereā€™s a 2 week gap. 3rd place in both provinces will have the Joe McDonagh teams to play the following week

Yeah - but a short turnaround after what will be a much tougher game the next day.

More Games worked to Limerickā€™s advantage last year - not this yearā€¦ Dont think Tipp will want them either.

Fair enough.

Thatā€™s what the Galway lads thought.

1 Like

Theres two aspects to it, physical wear and tear ie injuries and tipp have issues there already but more importantly the mental freshness needed to keep on performing. its not easy and hurling is such a combative game if your head isnā€™t in it you are in huge trouble. Look at clare and dublin last weekend, both played like their lives depended on it, cork and galway didnā€™t (but galways ultimately did) you can say every game from here on is so important the heads will be right but the chances of a flat performance increase with more games. Look at dublin footballers, fitter and better prepared than anyone and still turned in a few very average final performances against mayo over the past few years where they were asking to be beaten. Look at galway last year, loads of back slapping and geeing up pre throw in but in the first twenty minutes they were stuck to the ground. You had to be there to see how listless they were. At this stage last year, pre leinster final with tipp gone, galway seemed unbeatable.

2 Likes

But dublin havenā€™t suffocated the life out of a team in croke park or thurles since the 2011 league final. Potential but i wouldnā€™t back them

1 Like

Barrett will be grand for Sunday week.

1 Like

The 2013 Leinster Final in Croke Park? But I take your point. I think we would be up against it against either of them.

Na ye over ran us that day and shot the lights out, wasnā€™t an arm wrestle

Donā€™t think anyone thought that. I opined on here that if whelan played well I thought weā€™d win, but it was never a gimme at parnell. Why do you put your own team down suggesting they only won because galway were complacent?

This time last year I had tipped Dublin to get out this year (becuase of the home fixtures) but kinda changed my mind when Gilroy left. I hope they put up a good performance in the 1/4s. Be a shame if Kenny just had them wound up for one game to settle a personal grudge.

Also wrt tipp injuries, they could have happened in a friendly game, or in training. Both were just bad luck. Tipp have a good bench. The main difference between limerick and tipp wasnā€™t attitude imho, it was stick work. Noone can out talent tipp. I love watching them.

I agree re stick work - best in the business.

However - Limerick were playing their 3rd game in 14 days and rested key players - their 4 most important players for the game they play really. Tipp put the short passing game under pressure and without Hannon in particular it fell apart. Tipp shackled our forwards well and that forced an extra pass or two as the out ball to forwards wasnt on. I think there was a small bit of fatigue at play here as well tho.

Big negative for Limerick was the 4 replacements not really performing - lads pushing for a place. Turns out Flanagan broke a finger after 15 mins ā€¦ Dowling was disappointing and has shown he is not a starter - heā€™s been poor off the bench all year tho.

Hannon is a different animal to Morrissey and he is key to our gameā€¦ Likewise, the work and power of Hegarty cant be underestimated.

Limerick wanted to win but management were indifferent to a lossā€” I just wonder did this seep into the mind of the players ā€¦ You let Tipp play and they will dismantle you.

My only long range bet was a double of dublin leinster, limerick all ireland. Tempted to keep going with it. Kenny will be happy to have succeeded, happy for the cuala lads, but delighted as the result ups his credit for the galway job which is what he ultimately wants. Heā€™s fanatical about galway hurling. He was laughed at ten years ago when suggesting centres of excellence etc as there was no money and politics in play. His time will come.

Dublin canā€™t win Leinster, mate. The traditional big two are contesting the final on Sunday week.

3 Likes