All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

Sure no one cares about the league, or increasingly about provincial finals. In fact provincial finals are best avoided, admittedly based on a sample of one.

Total disrespect to Dublin. Once again, this isn’t about Galway, it’s whether the format makes sense or not, and it clearly is seriously flawed when most matches are played at the intensity of challenge matches.

Of course it’s not :wink:

1 Like

The format has produced an outstanding Munster Championship last year with a passable Leinster.

This year Leinster has been super exciting albeit the quality hasn’t been great. Munster has been brutal due to 2 non runners.

I think overall it’s very satisfactory.

3 Likes

Lads here are acting like every single championship game before the back door was some sort of classic. The format is fine. A few of the teams happened to be shite this year. That’s all

7 Likes

The only issue with the format is it encourages running up scores over outclassed teams. Three points for a win would help eliminate it. The other issue is spacing of games. Seeing as the league is a joke play it but just let the final standings decide places, no need for quarters, semis finals then give two weeks between games in the championship. Definitely been more of a factor the last two years than it should

Explain that.

4 Likes

I personally think that the problem is really with the league rather than the championship. Its meaningless enough now, made more so by ongoing tinkering with the format. Should be scrapped to make way for an earlier championship and two weeks between games. GAA should “encourage” County players to play for the clubs between times.
The senior club championships should be run off in summer, and finished by October, lock stock and barrel.

Well you’d ease off if you could get 3 points for a win.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I somewhat agree with that. The league in Jan/Feb is pointless.

The three points would put winning teams ahead on standings, there wouldn’t be the emphasis on running the score up there is now, as thats the sole deciding factor. I dont think it would change the competitiveness but would teams be going full tilt to beat carlow by 16 if they didn’t have to

Yes they would absolutely. And why wouldn’t they?

Every team worth their salt* will win by as much as they and in any case points difference could come into play.

• salt. Lol.
1 Like

agreed, there is no perfect format out there. present format is very good. too much belly aching about forma

Fair enough it probably wouldn’t work. But theres no argument against the three points for a win argument. Have to reward wins not draws or else it makes a mockery of it, also the gap between games needs to be looked at

3 points for a win wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference in Munster this year. In Leinster however…

No one plays for a draw in hurling. It’s not like Cathal Dunbar missed on purpose or anything.

Point out where i said someone plays for draws?

Go on…

You didn’t. I didn’t say you did.

Table for Leinster with 3 points for a win

Kilkenny 7

Galway 7

Dublin 7

Wexford 6