All-Ireland Hurling Championship 2019***

Same team named as last day so weā€™re none the wiser.

1 Like

Tom Dempsey is at Paul McGinley levels on the compulsive liar scale. A car crash on the way to trials etc etc.

A twee enough piece, but shows that those 2013-2015 U21 sides are the backbone of the senior team now.

Think heā€™s referring to Niall McDonald when he mentions Niall Oā€™Connor.

Itā€™s not just Wexford. Bandwagoning is deeply engrained in the Irish

If they had better corporate entertainment facilities at the regional grounds the crowds would be bigger.

3 Likes

Yeah. The English mots soccer team have always had massive support in England.

Ah lovely. :clap:

Concerns:

Injuries / lack of depth. Davy only used 18 the last day and Aidan Nolan is suspended. Heā€™s only used 21 over the 4 games and a couple of them only got brief cameos against Carlow (Joe Oā€™Connor and Seamus Casey). Not sure he fully trusts the resources at his disposal.

Puck outs. Weā€™re giving up cheap scores in every game.

Kilkenny taking sweeper out of the game. They tried to use the full width of the pitch in Wexford and isolate our defenders in 1 v 1s on the flanks. Sweeper wasnā€™t inclined to come away from centre and gamble on fully going to one side. Some of their forwards had success against us in the air in those match ups.

Reid is hardly going to be stifled as much as last day. Walsh is likely to be sharper. Same goes for Maher and Buckley.

I always fear our freetaking curse will strike again.

Reasons to be optimistic:

We delivered some poor ball into our forwards the last day, even acknowledging them being outnumbered. Padraig Walsh as loose man was on the ball countless times. Despite that, we scored 0-21 and missed a couple of outstanding goal chances. If we tidy up our delivery then there should be scores there for us.

Weā€™ve been their equal since Davy took over. A 3-point win, a 1-point defeat and a draw in 3 championship games. We should be confident of being able to mix it with them.

Some of our main players have only played in flashes. If the likes of Rory Oā€™Connor and Conor McDonald produce the goods for a more concerted spell then we should be in good shape.

Weā€™ve been building for 2-3 years now and hopefully weā€™re primed to deliver a big final display.

Iā€™ve no cliche bullet points left.

3 Likes

Is chin playin or wha

Itā€™ll be a draw mate calm down

Dunno pal. Reck most unlikely to play. Ryan likely to play. No news on Chin.

There is nothing coming out of the camp, unlike Kilkenny where their real team has been leaked again.

Itā€™s a bit daft having the Munster and Leinster Finals the same weekend. Itā€™s not like the football where there is no interest.

16 Likes

+1. They donā€™t need to have the quarter finals on the same weekend either.

Just put one provincial final back a week and then push back the quarter final the loser will fall into by a week too.

1 Like

I think thereā€™s a big game in Rory tomorrow. Hopefully the minors get the day off to a good start. Going to be close and weā€™ll probably need a goal or two. Would have concerns about our bench but they have the same issue.

Bit of a joke alright, wouldā€™ve liked to have attended both games.

3 Likes

They could easily move one to the Saturday either and rotate. Serious lack of joined up thinking in the GAA

1 Like

I was just thinking from the pov of splitting the attention on the event. It looks like both provinces will be competitive for the foreseeable so it would be good to have an extra weekend of big games.

There isnā€™t much top class hurling left for the year.

4 Likes

But they would baffle you with their thinking alright. I can only assume the ridiculous gap between games is to allow for extra time.

1 Like

Itā€™s a pain in the hole. Why they canā€™t even put one on Saturday I do not know.

Gonna miss the start of the Leinster final today most likely

I was greeted by this arrangement of plastic cups in the cupboard this morning, the signs are not good. Whatever little hope I had has disappeared

14 Likes

Culturally the GAA fraternity hasnā€™t really evolved to big Saturday games yet. Invariably it will knock 25% off the attendance.

1 Like