All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

The big pity for Clare is that Lohan didn’t get the job 2 or 3 years earlier than he did when they had a plethora of elite forwards. I think they lamped it because they couldn’t work it out under that pressure.

Paudie Fitz going in centre back shows they lack a bit of depth in the panel.

Meehan looks a super prospect, but for all it was a really good year, theres a bit of a rebuilding job on.

What a final this should be now. Hopefully Limerick make shit of Galway.

3 Likes

Clare didn’t run at Kilkenny from out the field anywhere near enough. And you could say that some of that was down to Kilkenny pressure but Clare took on some crazy shots from way out the field when not under that much pressure, but could have worked it into a better position. Fitzgerald early on ran at Kilkenny a few times and got a couple of scores but then he also relapsed into taking shots off the back foot or without looking at the posts.

The inside forward line were given poor ball at times but they were also absolutely cleaned out on 50/50s. This happened against Limerick twice, so the warnings were there. Peter Duggan is not related to an inside forward, and it’s really weird that he was persisted with inside there when he would have offered so much more at half-forward.

Poor decision-making including shot selection was the real killer; even when they had a bit of momentum in the second half, they were still taking on crazy shots and Kilkenny were the ones who were calmer in possession and just working the score.

7 Likes

Clare peaked for Limerick. Seems to be a malaise over them since in the two games vs Wexford and Kilkenny.

Credit Kilkenny in fairness. Their efficiency was off the charts. Lawlor, Deegan, Reid etc all won their individual battles.

TJ Reid, Mullen from out the field and Cody then turned the screw.

A baffling one though realistically for Lohan. Clare normally perform well in Croke park. Conlon obviously was a massive loss but bar a few of their backs - a lot of the Clare team seemed way off it.

2 Likes

I only saw the first half, was a an anniversary mass but Conlan being missing seemed to totally mess their system of playing out, for all KK weren’t being beaten today.

1 Like

You’d feel sorry for Clare & Kilkenny in equal measure.

Clare played their AI in the Munster Final.

Kilkenny just won their AI this afternoon.

At least KK have the Leinster Final although they won’t be happy with that as their lot either.

1 Like

And the biggest one. Mikey Butler vs Tony Kelly.

6 Likes

Its a hard one to fathom. Clare just pucked long ball after long ball. It was braindead as Kilkenny just swept it up.

I wonder was Tony Kelly not fully fit?

I genuinely thought that Clare team were a generational group of talents in 2013. It’s mad to think it’s 9 years ago. Such a young group at the time but as you say the majority had moved on by winter 2019/20 when Lohan entered the fray. There was always a sense that Lohan was piecing together a team. There’ll be concerns about 4/5 years time when Kelly, SOD etc. have moved on but Lohan has replenished the team and there’s optimism the likes of Rogers and Meehan can keep them competitive.

3 Likes

Limerick will eat Kilkenny in the final (that’s with the caveat that Limerick don’t slip up against Galway tomorrow).

Could easily have been carrying something I’d say, but there was no real loose stuff to latch on to as well, KK used it really well.

1 Like

As @cluaindiuic alluded to he was well marked.

Likes of Peter Duggan though was found out today. Ryan Taylor, David Reidy and Ian Galvin were as well.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure where Duggan fits now. He seems to have slowed down a bit in the time away. The other boys are kind of Lohan project success stories till today.

Could Duggan play number 6, Conlan is 33 like?

1 Like

Thought he should’ve probably gone with Malone 6 in hindsight

1 Like

Not in full forward. He has never been good in there.

2 Likes

You’re dead right he hasn’t, hasnt the yard of pace to get away from a sticky back.

I would have played Rory Hayes there personally. But then you could be making more problems for yourself in the full backline.

1 Like

Very hard hide a fella these days.

1 Like

There is no sympathy in this game for anyone.

4 Likes

Bitter bollox