Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

I remember John tennyson saying the same years ago , Cody liked instability and lads not knowing where they stood …it was same for all he reckoned …

And you won’t be dealing with the point made no? When you say “put it up to anyone” did you really mean “win the All Ireland every year”?

When were they up by 16 points and lost?

They hardly led Waterford by that much in 2020?

Cody is an absolute miracle worker having Kilkenny right in contention coming down the stretch in All Ireland Semi Finals.

I’d say he’s referring to the Leinster semi-final of 2020 against Dublin where they nearly threw away the lead.

Strange to be using a routine Leinster Championship Semi Final win as a stick to beat Cody with .

Cody should have departed after the 2016 All Ireland Final. Kilkenny have had some awful defeats/maulings/collapses over the last 5 years starting with that 2016 Final.

This line that there’s nobody within the county or anywhere that could get more out of the talent that’s in Kilkenny than Cody amuses me.

1 Like

This year Kk lost to that Cork team

In 2020 they blew a semi final to an average Waterford

In 2019 they ambushed Lk but were poor in final sending off notwithstanding

1 Like

Iggy Clarke has a 0-3 record for the 3 All Ireland finals he played in.

Galway lost three finals in the 1950’s in 1953, 1955 and 1958. Good few there with a 0-3 record.

Wexford lost 3 finals in the 1970’s in 1970, 1976 and 1977. Martin Quigley and @Fagan_ODowd’s pal Mick Butler would be two who were too young in 1968 who had a 0-3 record. Probably a few others too.

PJ Molloy and Noel Lane both played in 5 losing All Ireland finals.

1 Like

Look, I have less than zero interest in your opinion, on any front. Stop addressing me. Here lieth the zenith of my politeness.

1 Like

Things move on. So should managers.

He’s turned players who were being hammered by Wexford and losing to Dublin and Westmeath underage into regular challengers at the business end of the Championship.

Does he still not have a medal for 1980 though?
Just curious

I’m not sure whether or not he has a medal from 1980. I’d be inclined to think that he probably did get one. They were a lot tighter with who got medals back then though and he obviously wasn’t part of the match day 21 for the final.

1 Like

Jayses, an awful shame if he didn’t get one

He got a medal alright, which was unusual enough back then for a lad not in the final selection.

1 Like

Mick Jacob too I’d imagine?

Mick Jacob was one of the 6 subs for the 1968 final so he has a medal, even though he didn’t see action.

He was centre back on the three losing teams in the 1970’s finals.

1 Like

No may about it.

cc @Fran