All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

Could they not throw the URC onto the News channel considering nobody will watch it

4 Likes

That Tipp v Dublin game that came second that day was bleak enough fare in the rain. Particularly when youā€™d just watched Wexford ship an almighty hammering against Limerick.

The GAA afraid of the All Ireland Hurling Quarter Finals going head to head with Northern Transvaal v Western Stormers. The Pride of Cape Town and Pretoria. Itā€™s quite amusing.

It is in keeping really with the complete lack of occasion that has surrounded Championship 2022 and the sense of letā€™s get this out of the way and fixtures fulfilled as quickly as possible, whatever time of the day or week we have to play them.

Has got to be to do with TV rights.

RTE need to show the news/Angeles on RTE 1.

This is RTEā€™s call.

Is early on a Saturday significantly worse than early on a Sunday?

Is early on a Sunday not the perfect time for a match?

A lot of people work on Saturdays.

The decks have been cleared on Sunday for the Tailtean Cup.

Iā€™m not gonna look it up so Iā€™ll probably put my foot in it, but a decent Cork team were never beaten by Galway in my lifetime barring the 85 semi final in a thunderstorm

When the chips are down a good Cork team has always beaten (better) Galway teams

The Cork 3 in a row winning team of 1976-78 lost semi finals to Galway either side in 1975 and 1979. Maybe thatā€™s just before your lifetime.

Galway beat Cork in a 2002 qualifier as well I think. I had that and the 2001 season review on a video tape. Just before the strike. The core of that Cork responded to win back to back all-Ireland in 2004 and 2005.

We havenā€™t lost to the Carkies since that awful evening in Thurles in '08. Joe on his own and on his debut* couldnā€™t beat the last sting of a dying wasp.

I remember FInbar Gantly getting the winning goal against them two years later (i think). The Carkies around me were in absolute disbelief. It was beautiful.

With this being her majestyā€™s platinum jubilee, Cork are bound to be highly motivated.

*Wasnā€™t actually Joeā€™s debut.

9 Likes

Any more caveats youā€™d like to add to that?

13 Likes

What do you mean?
Galway can beat bad Cork teams, everybody can,
But Cork tend to win the big ones when the teams are evenly matched, not a boast, just a fact

Heā€™s clearly been reading obscure Irish novels rather than watching any hurling for the past decade.
Itā€™s made him worthier than you or I though.

2 Likes

Johnny Clifford like.

Galway beat Cork for the first time in Championship hurling in 1975. Starting with that 1975 win, score stands at 8-6 to Galway. Galway have won the last 4 as well.

Thereā€™s no real rivalry to speak of, theyā€™ve met very infrequently even since the back door system.
Thereā€™s no bad blood barring the silly stuff with Christy Ring, Iā€™m sure theyā€™d love to beat Cork in a final sometime to exorcise some demons.

I donā€™t think either team is equipped to go all the way this year but Iā€™d be hopeful that Cork will advance, you rarely know what youā€™ll get with either team

All four provincial finalists in football beaten the next day out.

Not a great omen for Galway and Clare.

The raw ignorance of Cark supporters shocked me that day.

6 Likes