All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

Fellas ranking Limerick on last years All Ireland against a naive Cork team.
They are ignoring the evidence in fron of tgeir eyes this year.

Are tickets sold out for the QFs on sat?

Only a small amount went on general sale, majority going through the clubs. Assume there will be loads available online come Wednesday/Thursday once clubs are sorted and remainder returned.

I’d say you could buy terrace tickets below on the day from the ticket office.

I got 2 stand tickets at Supervalu but they are below by the 21, not great.

2 Likes

Quite a few lads on here were still in nappies inthe 90s.

Yeah ill keep an eye out, another disaster for the ticketmaster system. Release to clubs and season tickets forst then general sale rather than have everyone scramble

1998 worse again. Peter Barry and Philly Larkin in midfield.

If they double header the Football QF’s then the GAA should be disbanded.

The only way a double header could ever make sense is if the same counties footballers and hurlers were playing the same day, and even at that. Most people wouldn’t go to both.

Kerry v Monaghan and Limerick v Waterford in 2007 was absolutely mental stuff.

@Cheasty how the fuck did that come about?

2 Likes

Was it possible the three games v tipp held things up ?

Cork v Waterford draw in the quarters held things up. I was at the Wexford v Kilkenny semi-final in 2007 which was actually on before the Cork v Waterford quarter-final replay.

The following year then a Kerry v Cork semi-final replay was on before the Wexford v Tyrone semi in a very attractive double header in Croker. The Tyrone crowd were giving it the big un once they hit a couple of late insurance scores.

5 Likes

Wexford fans had an incredibly attractive provincial Croke Park triple header back in 2008. Minor hurling against Dublin (I think), senior football v Laois and senior hurling replay v Dublin. That ended up being John Meyler’s last year and, although we overcame Dublin, we got mauled by Kilkenny in the Leinster Final. I think we scored 1-1 in the first half of the drawn game the week previously down in Kilkenny. That was around the time we were regressing and Dublin were improving, and they beat us the next year under Anthony Daly when Colm Bonnar had taken over with Wexford.

Tell me this, have you ever been involved in an attractive triple header (cross code, all senior games) where your county is involved in the first and third games? I thought Wexford might have been but I can’t pinpoint it. I must have imagined it. We did have a hurling qualifier game in Thurles one year (possibly against Cork) when we lost to Tipp in a football qualifier before it and there was another hurling game on after it.

1 Like

In 2012 myself and @Fat_Pox had a great day in Thurles watching Tipp v Wexford (football), Cork v Wexford (Hurling) and Clare v Limerick (Hurling).

Halcyon days.

3 Likes

Limerick v Clare hurling qualifier was on afterwards yeah. I left after the Wexford v Cork game I think. A disappointing day in Thurles. The football result was the beginning of the end for that little Golden Period.

Cork vs Limerick football
Cork vs Wexford hurling
Limerick vs Clare hurling

3, 5, 7 in Thurles.

3 Likes

In the Pillar Caffrey years Dublin used to get stand alone quarter-finals.

That meant the All-Ireland football quarter-finals had one double header, a stand alone Dublin game, with one game left over.

The left over game would be put on the same bill as the first All-Ireland hurling semi-final to make a very attractive double header.

In 2006 this was Laois v Mayo (football quarter-final)/Kilkenny v Clare (hurling semi-final).
2007: Kerry v Monaghan/Waterford v Limerick
2008: Cork v Kildare/Kilkenny v Cork
2009: Meath v Mayo/Kilkenny v Waterford

When Dublin got disembowelled by Kerry in 2009 in a stand alone Bank Holiday Monday quarter-final this practice stopped.

6 Likes

Good God almighty, that’s totally insane.

Three fairly woeful standard games too from what I remember

Remember Cork were absolutely useless and thinking they were gone for years, only for them to win the next two Munster championships.

But also, Davy’s greatest win as Clare manager following the 2013 All-Ireland.

1 Like

Riddle me this one.

The 2011 Football Quarter finals.

From what i recall, Dublin v Tyrone and Donegal v Kildare were standalone Saturday night lights games?

Yeah, Clare beat Limerick in the hurling but it was a very poor standard. Limerick had a mini fightback to close the gap, Byrnes scored a few nice points from distance but Clare were always comfortable. But were no great shakes.

Limerick didn’t really get close to Cork in the football but, again, were unimpressive in victory.

Wexford-Cork was a bit more exciting if still a poor standard. Lee Chin was excellent.