All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

Chin played football that day, if I recall correctly. We weren’t up to much in either hurling or football back then…and not much has changed in truth.

Join CĂĄirde Loch Garman. :purple_heart::yellow_heart:

Open to correction on this but I think there may have been a replay in the qualifiers which pushed one of the pathways back.

Saturday July 30th saw an attractive double bill of Tyrone pulverising Roscommon in a Round 4 qualifier followed by Donegal squeaking past Kildare in that appallingly epic quarter-final.

Sunday July 31st had an enticing double header in which Kerry strolled past Limerick and no hopers Mayo stunned Cork.

Saturday August 6th was the stand alone Dublin v Tyrone quarter-final.

I must have a check on this.

1 Like

The West Limerick double header. That was a cracker of a day. The Monaghan crowd were baying for blood they nearly had them. Place was electric and then Limerick v Waterford was one of the greatest most mental games of all time

5 Likes

And we should have won the AI that year ffs!

@peddlerscross it was an Armagh v Wicklow replay in Round 2 of the qualifiers on July 9th which pushed the whole schedule back. The qualifiers from Round 2 up as far as the All-Ireland quarter-finals were played on successive weekends.

Armagh came through in the replay against Wicklow, then lost to Tyrone who beat Roscommon before losing to Dublin.

2 Likes

Micko doing Micko things back then. Seanie Furlong caused consternation for the Armagh full-back line iirc.

Cork played Down in Croke Park in another exceedingly attractive double header the same year.

Limerick beat Wexford in a mental game in Portlaoise maybe the same evening.

Incorrect. Aodhan McSuibhne fucked Wexgord over and a last minute Offaly goal robbed us of victory in a game we should have won by six or seven points.

I’ve rarely been as seething leaving Croker.

It was written in the stars that we’d win on the 200th anniversary of 1798.

4 Likes

I attended this one. Fuck knows why. I’ve no recollection of a curtain raiser but who knows.

After Limerick’s victory over Wexford that evening former poster @The_Runt apparently danced on the pitch in Portlaoise jubilant at how Limerick had proved former poster @Sidney’s dismissal of Limerick’s chances in that game to be folly.

Down wore one of the nicest GAA jerseys of all time the same night.

I have no recollection of a curtain raiser either but there must have been. It couldn’t possibly have been a standalone fixture, could it?

Wikipedia says Kildare 0-19 Derry 0-13 preceded it. Now that I think of it there was a shortlived tradition around that time of McGeeney’s Kildare grinding down one of the also-ran Ulster teams in curtain raiser qualifiers at Croke Park that nobody who came for the second game bothered to get in for.

@Bandage how could you forget the 2019 trible header in Croker?

Wexford v KK Leinster minor final, Wexford win.
Laois v Westmeath Joe McDonagh final, Laois win.
Wexford v KK Leinster final, Wexford win.

What a great day that was​:rofl::beer::beers:

2 Likes

Check the small print. I said ALL SENIOR GAMES!

1 Like

@Cheasty didnt a very big hurling and football Q/f clash at some point in the late 00s ?

I vaguely remember kerry hammering Dublin possibly being the football game.

I think one was shown on rte 1 and the other on rte 2.

:flushed: :see_no_evil:

This fucking holding the quarter finals in Thurles is a load of bollocks. Absolute headache with tickets through the club. I’ve this operation on Wednesday and still thinking of ordering one…

1 Like

Donies forearm smash…

Stewarding doesn’t count bro

It would seem to be an essential part of the fixture makers’ role to make the stupidest fixtures possible.

Saturday’s double header makes no sense except for Thurles being a central location.

A pretend ticket shortage for a quarter final. Ridiculous.

3 Likes

Hello stranger