All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

826 unread. By God. Feel we’d have won that if Rory O’ Connor had been able to stay on. Lived off scraps at times in the second half. A gallant effort. As others have alluded to there were strong similarities to Fanning’s puckout debacle against Tipp in 2019. Diarmuid Ryan was excellent for Clare to be fair. Who won man of the match after?

2 Likes

This is true. I honestly look at both games, and don’t think the referee decided either. Clare had the purplest of the purple patches in the second game. Wexford just couldn’t stem the tide. We know all about that in Galway. The black card incident looks clear on the telly, but in real time a little less so. Anyhow, ROC injury was the turning point.
TK I suspect is far from fit.
Congratulations to Clare. Commiseration to Cork and Wexford. What can we do only keep plugging away.

3 Likes

Clare will be a lot better the next day because of that win. The Munster Final defeat and the circus that followed took a serious toll on Clare. Not sure whether they beat Kilkenny but they will be a very different proposition than they were today.

He is hardly even in the talk for HOTY surely?

He was below par in the Munster final and scratching around for 60 mins today. In the last 10 mins today he stood up and was very good v a tired Wexford. But at that stage of it every Clare fella was coming into it.
If he put in a last 10 mins like that v Limerick in the Munster final he might have seen Clare home. Then we could be talking.

Big difference.

1 Like

Yeah it was actually a brave effort by Wexford without our most consistent source of scores. We needed a low scoring contest and a couple of strokes of good fortune and we got them for 58 mins or so. Once it opened up we were in trouble. Wouldn’t be too criticism on BDE but I felt he maybe could have freshened up the forward line sooner. Paul Morris came on late enough in the day. McGukian lacked any real conviction when that gap opened up for him in injury time. Conall Flood came on quite late too.

A decent effort by Shane Reck to take the sting out of the game x2. Unfortunately Clare were opening up their legs and expressing themselves at that point.

1 Like

Kilkenny are no great shakes, in fact they probably haven’t been as bad in 35 years since late 1980’s. They’ll still be tricky opposition for Clare though. Game management will be a lot better than Wexford and Kilkenny won’t blow it if they’re leading by 6 points after 58 minutes.

On 70 minutes Wexford should have had a penalty to level the game and Clare should have been down to 14 men.

We can talk about the comeback or drop off or whatever, but that was a hugely critical decision that is not even debatable or for discussion.

Im still pissed off. Seething you could say.

19 Likes

The small fish dont get the big calls

4 Likes

Yeah by the letter of the law that’s a penalty and a black card. I wasn’t too aggrieved at the time until my cousin alerted me to it.

True. Wexford though will probably take their defeat with customary good grace and not make any fuss about how they were blackguarded over that late penalty they should have been awarded. Quite the contrast to the carry on of Clare over the last two weeks and the strokes that were pulled to get Hayes and Duggan to play.

Wexford are just a bit too nice really.

1 Like

O’Donnell is nowhere near HOTY territory ffs.

Kelly and a few Limerick boyos are well ahead.

According to Joe Canning both Wexford’s second half goals were square balls. And it wasn’t a black card because Clare had men covering back.

And the stupud cunts didnt even notice that Chin was being hauled to the ground on the 1st goal. Would have been another penalty

2 Likes

All the wan to ye now isn’t it?

4 Likes

He’ll be hard bet. A great bit of stuff.

There was all sorts of wrestling going on in both bscklines, both of which played well I thought. I think that’s why the penalty/black card wasn’t given, it wasn’t really anything in real time at least, that wasn’t going on all afternoon. Wexford look like they could beat anyone or lose to anyone. They’re very Galway like. They hadn’t much luck today in one way, but then in another way, Clare weren’t great til the end either. They probably deserved more from their season, but they were beaten by Dublin, were lucky to get a draw with galway, and drew with Westmeath, so maybe an AIQF was par. Their backs are top drawer and they lost their best forward. They were very unlucky with that. They really gave everything they had though, as did Clare.

2 Likes

Do you realise how many times Duggan made the ball stick in the last 10 mins when we were trying to claw our way back into it? Do you know how many scores came from him doing it?

2 Likes

Wexford got 17 scores today. That is not enough these days. You can’t be relying on goals to bridge the gap for you, they were lucky it nearly did. 8 points from play. One of the goals a fluke. Need to be getting a lot lot more from the forwards. They are improving though.

Cork aren’t good enough. Shortage of leadership on and off the field. I feel like they keep trying the same things over and over and never learning.

Is that the last of Hoggy Boi I wonder. He did the state some service in fairness to him.

Delighted for @flattythehurdler that @theGalways finally made it as far as us. They’ll regret it.

10 Likes

Not particularly. I don’t stop watching or losing interest just because we’re out.

1 Like

if the conversation is with that Twitter poster and discussions centre around his deliriousness, then yeah he’s in the conversation