All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

I think form lines are hard to read going into this years championships. Limerick handles Waterford with relative ease last August but the caveat on that was that Waterford were playing their fourth week on the trot and it seemed as though they simply didnā€™t have the power in the legs to live with Limerick once the adrenaline wore off after 20 minutes or so.

They have a handful of lads back from injury and good depth to their panel now and a continuity to them that most sides donā€™t. If there is a team to stop Limerick this year then they look like the side best placed.

Cork on the otherhand got a number of breaks and rode them to an A/I final but donā€™t seem to have learned all that much from the final defeat. They are a fine side when they get their running game going and a bit of momentum but the structural issues are still there. If they can play on their terms they will put up a score but how likely will that be in the championship. They are really short a ball winner at half forward, industry at midfield and a couple of defenders who can hold things together when the going gets tough. Putting Joyce to centre back and Millerick to wing back might well make their half backline a more solid unit but then you are only shifting lads like Coleman and Fitzgibbon up the field and addressing the symptom rather than addressing the cause. I think both Coleman and Fitzgibbon have bags of talent but I find it rather perplexing that both are now in and around 25 yet look to be the same size and shape they were when they burst on the scene in 2017. I donā€™t know if they have naturally light frames or what but there are just too many lads in that middle third for Cork who simply donā€™t want to know consistently about the hard yards. I think they may well raise it for one of the early games but I think the round robin and elimination of a potential soft draw doesnā€™t play to their strengths.

5 Likes

Heā€™s like a lad texting his ex and waxing lyrical about her relationship with the new fella.

4 Likes

If Limerick do in fact come back to the pack, it really is wide open. Big if though

They wonā€™t beat Limerick 3 times in the one championship though. Ideally theyā€™re waiting for them in the long grass in the All-Ireland and catch them on the hop. Thatā€™s the time you want to be beating Limerick, not in the Munster Round Robin like Clare in 2018 or Tipp/Cork in 2019.

1 Like

Coleman Iā€™d say has put on muscle but heā€™s neither a big man nor a physically aggressive one

You would think the longer the year goes on the more momentum and back into their flow Limerick will get though. Waterford need to know they can at the very least match Limerick in the round robin.

Losing a tight one to limerick in the group stages wouldnā€™t be the worse thing in the world especially if they land a few body blows.

2 Likes

FHOTY Hego is a muckler compared to the rest

Please give him his full title

Ah shtap now lad :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

@Locke you need to give a few masterclasses in the faux humility

2 Likes

Only the nine senior All Ireland medals between the lads.

Iā€™ve a feeling limericks year could revolve around a red card. Thereā€™s been issues obviously with players already and weā€™ve been lucky once or twice. Cusack started a campaign against us in the league. Wouldnā€™t be shocked if the refs are really pressured into sending somebody off.

Going by their track record Limerick generally commit at least one red card offence per game so with the round robin youā€™d expect thereā€™s more chance that they get caught for one or two

4 Likes

Lads with three AIs thinking they know the game. Gas

1 Like

Hegarty, by dint of hard work, has turned himself into a fine hurler. He is streets ahead of Johnny Glynn.

1 Like

Hegarty has a very high skill level ffs, he has pulled off some sexy shit in the past few years

I very much agree. His ability to pick quickly ground ball in front of him is terrific. He has an excellent step and his striking, off both sides, is solid and reliable.

His ā€˜tacklingā€™ sometimes leaves a lot to be desired, though.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the truth of it.

• his hurling has improved immeasurably
  • the above seems to have regressed his tackling technique
1 Like

Yerrah Hego can tackle just fine. Itā€™s just sometimes he loves hurting lads a little bit, thatā€™s all.

He gets plenty of attention so thereā€™s no harm at all in him laying down the law every so often

There was little talk when Barron dunted him last year. However, when Hegarty does something similar, heā€™s a scumbag, thug etc.

He has earned that reputation all on his own

6 Likes