All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

It’ll be a great game. Kilkenny’s honesty will see to that.

The bodhran baters love a day out.

1 Like

A Galway fan calling another county tog shitters?

That’s hilarious.

The Clare lads kept their powder dry for this. They knew Wexford was a formality

What’s the standard of club hurling in Wexford like these days? Fairly competitive?

A good club campaign for a couple of the younger lads like Lawlor, Pepper & Scallan and plenty of gametime in the league next year, and ye could have a good crack off a Leinster title at the very least next season.

I think ye’re probably missing about 2 forwards, seem to have enough in the way of solid backs (almost to the point where you’d nearly be looking at converting someone).

Dunbar was probably a big loss as well as ROC; I know he can be inconsistent but would have been another bench option at the very least. I always liked Paul Morris but I guess time catches up with everyone; is Aidan Nolan gone from the panel too?

1 Like

Shur they had a pitch invasion last Saturday below in Tom Semples field.

Didnt Clough Ballacolla send the Wexford Champions home with their tae in a mug last year?

They did, comfortably enough in the end. Wexford hurling is grossly overrated. Westmeath are a match for them, enough said.

Yeah but Laois club hurling is decent enough at the top end. I know they got battered by Ballyhale in the end but seemed naive on the day, beat Kilmacud on the way.

If the Championship is competitive and games are played at a decent tempo, and your county players are standing out, I think you’ll get a benefit.

Wexford give way too much leeway to Football at Club level.

its competitive, but not on a provincial level. Rare that a team does well outside the county. IT may have as much to do with the dual aspect, about half the senior teams are senior hurling and senior football. We had it last year that the senior football champions in 2020 were the senior hurling champions in 2021, and the senior hurling champions in 2020 were the senior football champions in 2021. Is that enough of a reason to say its bad? Not really, but last year the Rapps won the hurling and then played football for 8 weeks prior to their Leinster game, so it didnt help. They are a townie team anyway so wasnt shocked to see them lose once pressure was put on them in the Leinster game.

Aidan Nolan went travelling. There are a couple of very good young forwards at the moment, but making the step up is the next issue.

2 Likes

Glas doesn’t do nuance. If he’d ever refereed a game, he’d also realise that you can’t even see lines that are marked most of the time. The referee is running, tired, trying to judge if it’s a foul, or accidental, where it starts and where in finishes, and is then expected to judge to the foot where a moving foul happened.
It’s also not a referees “job”. He is a volunteer doing his best by and large, and I didn’t think he was biased at any stage in that. Glas of course is less keen to discuss the potential square ball.

What’s the exact rule? Is Chin too wide and outside the zone here? The defenders trying to get back aren’t close enough to be deemed covering anyway. Lyons made him take the free from around 6 or 7 yards further over towards the sideline. It probably suited him to fudge it and pretend he thought it wasn’t as close to goal.

Will the Clare lads be able to sell them on to Wexford?

There is an imaginary line 25 yards inside from the sideline which the foul has to take place inside for it to be deemed a goal scoring opportunity.

Which would be roughly in line with the stanchion for the nets going off the Sunday Game visual last night. It is a borderline call going off the below. How you could expect someone to accurately make the call from 50 yards away and no line to indicate it is beyond me

1 Like

You couldn’t make it up.

All they really need to do is double the size of the penalty box and it would solve a lot of problems.

The penalty box in GAA is tiny in the grand scheme of things.

*large parallelogram mate

1 Like

How it only goes out as far as the 13 and not the 21 is absolutely mental stuff.

And you can’t see it when you’re reffing most of the time as the line is kind of worn into the turf and below grass level anyway.
My worry about that 21 metre rule is it’s just another complication in a game very very difficult to referee well.