All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

True. A lot of lads would have shot before they even reach it

25m is obviously just an arbitrary number so the line might aswell start from where the arc meets the 20m line so it would be a standard size on every field and easier to picture from further out.

Determining the penalty area from the sideline gives a different size area depending on the width of the field.

On @Bandage photo above they are about two yards to the left of the edge of the D, so if your photo is correct it would need a full VAR to get right.

Ah tbf, in the big intercounty grounds, the pitches are in immaculate condition and the lines are visible from further away. And even if the referee can’t see it, the linesman or umpire would be able to tell him if it was inside or not.

Not having a line is madness. Absolute madness.

And 25m is crazy too, it should be for the cynical prevention of goalscoring chances, let the referee decide whether he thought it was or not. Bringing in arbitrary distances makes it more confusing, not less.

1 Like

They were trying to avoid a crazy arbitrary decision like the Clare one before in fairness. I’ve never reffed on a good pitch well marked, but you’d be surprised how difficult it is to see the lines from ground level.

Again as usual it was terrible reactive rule making off the back of the Aidan Mc black card. Rather than going away and actually coming away with a rule which was fair and implementable they just decided to make an arbitrary change that leads to yet more grey areas

the exact rule is thus:

Notwithstanding provisions of existing Playing Rules 2.2 Exception (i), 5 and specifically 5.44, if one of the following infractions -
(a) To pull down an opponent (5.1) or
(b) To trip an opponent with hand (s), arm, leg, foot, or hurley (5.2) or
(c) To use the hurley in a careless manner
(5.6) is committed on an attacking player who is denied of a goal-scoring opportunity, as defined in Important Terms and Definitions 9, the following penalties shall apply:
(i) A Penalty Puck shall be awarded to the team affected.
(ii) The offender shall be issued with a Black Card and be sent to the Sin Bin for 10 minutes

The location of the infraction shall be either:
(a) Inside the 20-metre line, but as a ‘rule of thumb’ not within 25 metres infield of each sideline or
(b) Within the semi-circular Arc.

In my opinion, and as per @bandage photo above, it was a clear goal scoring opportunity. The “rule of thumb” was brought in when James Owens applied the rule but the foul was out near the sideline and it wasnt a clear goal scoring opportunity. I cant see how anyone could say that by Chin being dragged down, it didnt deny a clear goal scoring opportunity.

4 Likes

Cork and Wexford should both get rematches at the very least.

2 Likes

Sell what?

AFAIK there has been no black card given out in the hurling championship this year? Tell them to fuck off from hurling with their football rules

My 2 cents on weekends action. I thought the quality of both games was poor enough although there was definitely more intensity or knock out feel to the latter game. I think for beaten provincial finalists you can be quite vulnerable to hitting a flat spot and Galway looked very flat and way off it at times. Really struggled with Cork runners and couldn’t win a ball in the forwards with Cahalane like a moth to a flame every time ball went in. Cork really dominated possession but after working their way back into contention after first soft goal they conceded another one. They were woeful in their shooting particularly Shane Kingston and Lehane. Missing 2 65’s with wind at your back is inexcusable. Whelan was afforded too much space and O Donoghue just could not manage him but he wont be the first or last corner back to get taken to cleaners by Whelan. Pound for pound he is the best inside forward in the game which makes Galway mgt decision to move him all the more bizarre. At the other end then they have one of the best full backs of the last 30 years. Deserves to be talked about in same breath as Brian Lohan or JJ Delaney. If they are missing McInerney the next day Johnny Coen probably comes into midfield with Cooney going back wing back. I think the semi final is Limericks to lose but maybe that will suit Galway. It will be interesting to see what Shefflin comes up with. I had thought Galway were best placed to match Limerick but they have been really disappointing. It would not be hyperbole to say that Cork could have won that game pulling up by 7 or 8 points and would have won had Horgan started but its easy to be wise after the event. I’m not sure it was a game that needed Horgan to be running around and making tackles and Galway don’t really do short puck outs or play around with it in their own back line. A bit of an own goal there by Cork management in retrospect.

The 2nd game was really one that got away from Wexford. When Diarmuid O Keeffe missed a ball on sideline only for Shanagher to score the writing was on the wall. Egan knew, when taking the job, there was a bit of depth lacking and tried to develop players like Dwyer, McGuckian, Flood etc but when the crunch came the Clare subs like Meehan and Shanagher were able to contribute on the scoreboard. On the other hand the Wexford subs made little impression and either ran into tackles, got hooked or blocked and Wexford lost all shape. Losing Rory O Connors influence cannot be understated. He is the closest thing they have to a Tony Kelly and on his day is worth 5 or 6 points to Wexford. By him coming off it meant Wexford had to keep Chin inside which reaped dividends but also robbed them of his presence in moving out to the middle third like he did so effectively against Kilkenny in Nowlan Park. In that last 10 minutes they could have used him there as Wexford lost their shape completely with players having to come off. Losing the Reck brothers were severe blows too. I thought Wexford were on the end of some very marginal calls by Colm Lyons and can feel hard done by. I’m not sure what they do about Fanning. He is a good shot stopper but seems to be prone to a mistake in every game. Westmeath he cost his team and was at fault for 2 goals. He nearly handed Kilkenny an undeserved win only for Shane Reck to spare his blushes and again against Clare. His jaunts up the field to hit the ball wide sucks the life out of a team too. Some of analysis that Wexford only scored 19 times and that is not sufficient to win a game fail to recognise that the other teams dont get a chance to score much either due to how the game evolves physically and is invariably played on Wexfords terms. You can say they gassed like in 19 when they blew a chance to reach the All Ireland final and the way they play is a by product of this but when their 18th, 19th or 20th man is as good as any of the starters they might make the breakthrough. It is clear now that Clare have usurped Waterford as media darlings and everyones “2nd favourite team”. For that reason perhaps Wexford didn’t get credit they deserved for their efforts at spoiling Clare and taking away some of their main weapons. Instead narrative shifted to Clare being poor.

I think the 2 semi finals will be fascinating games especially Clare and Kilkenny as its a novel pairing. I think Clare will account for Kilkenny by 1 or 2 points and Limerick might have 5 or 6 to spare against Galway setting up an all Munster All Ireland.

12 Likes

That Aidan Mc thing was a clear effort to prevent a goal from occurring. It was a nasty foul and absolute deserved the punishment it got.

I couldn’t understand the outcry afterwards but as someone said we don’t like rules.

1 Like

The missed ball by O’Keefe and subsequent point was desperate from a Wex point of view. The flood gates opened after it. McGuckian I think missed what should have been a routine enough point around the same period. Momentum is something else…

1 Like

Forgot to mention that. As stonewall a penalty for that category of offense as you will see. There is an omerta when it comes to specific rules in the GAA. Some players can be hard done by when it comes to rules as Gleeson and Hegarty can attest. But it is the popular choice to enforce rules on these players. The game is reffed in a way of “what can we do to appease the Sunday game crowd” and be more like Fergal Horgan. I think even Fergal Horgan would have awarded that penalty on Saturday.

1 Like

Its unreal the influence The Sunday Game has.

You see lads like Conor Cleary, are marked men now who may as well be booked before the ball is thrown in. Umpires are basically told to watch these guys specifically. Conor Gleeson, Cian O’Callaghan, Cathal Barrett etc. would be in a similar bind.

The game is so far rigged towards the forward now its a joke.

1 Like

Just playing devils advocate for a minute re the penalty incident.

Is it possible that Lyons gave the free for a foul on Conor McDonald and not the one on Chin? If you look back on the incident Cleary - as usual - is hanging off the attacker (McDonald) before the ball goes in behind and Chin is then fouled.

Is it possible Lyons copped out and blew for the foul on McDonald and that would explain why he pushed the position for the free further away and nearer the sideline?

Do you think? I agree that certain players cards are marked but I would say that largely full-backs can do pretty much whatever they want to forwards off the ball unless they actually pull a shirt as a player is making a run for the ball that is delivered inside.

Not that forwards are angels, I’m sure they give as good as they get but backs manhandling forwards is generally let go.

If Cleary got blown for 2 or 3 frees and made 10 or 11, that’s not a bad return I’d say.

1 Like

It’s a good point about how rigged the game is towards the forwards.

GAA Rules Comet Eeeee:

2 Likes