All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

GAA is for everyone, not just the dominant teams or counties.

Limerick is you favourite topic.

3 Likes

Especially Limerick pubs.

When heā€™s not talking about Limerick hurling heā€™s talking about Limerick pubs :person_shrugging:t2:

Ye have a few of those lads yereselves.

6 Likes

Hegarty was a sub on a Minor Panel at 17. He couldnā€™t even make the panel of 24 at 18. He went away playing football because he was more or less told heā€™d never make it as a hurler. He was brought back into the fold in his final year of U21 under John Kiely and played at wing back, his first time starting a game for a Limerick Hurling team in a championship match. The rest is history.

Saying he was never going to be ignored is incorrect.

5 Likes

An inspirational tale, in all fairness.

5 Likes

A completely separate point,
The fact that he made a minor (u18) panel at u17 just helps my side anyway.

When your dad is a former player of renown you have an automatic advantage, you will be closely watched

Read back

Heā€™s a Kerry man now. Weā€™re shipping them out (some would say to Letterkenny also).

1 Like

He didnā€™t play Fitzgibbon either, Kiely made him bringing him in u21. Had he slipped through he would have struggled from a junior club.

Pallaskenry hadnā€™t had a senior intercounty hurler in something like 60 years, DOC now has 2 All-Ireland medals.

Askeaton, Kilteely/Dromkeen, Patā€™s, Tour, Crecora were all junior when players got a senior callup.

Itā€™s not really about ā€˜traditionalā€™ or not, the point with Tipp was non Dan Breen clubs being heavily represented on the minor panel. Whereas I think Tipp would be fairly highly represented by senior clubs traditionally (obviously Tipp have more senior clubs than us too). @the_man_himself might be able to confirm

1 Like

Again, itā€™s a completely separate point.
I believe somebody made the claim that Limerick are picking lads for underage squads from clubs that would never have had representation before.
I was just asking about that, but Hegarty had the obvious advantage of being Gerā€™s son, these lads are always watched closely

Youā€™d never really see someone from a Junior A Club make a Tipp Senior Panel. The odd Intermediate might and a few Seamus Oā€™Riannā€™s but the vast majority would be from the top 16 Dan Breen clubs.

Think this year it was 21 Dan Breen, 8 Seamus Oā€™Riann, 4 Inter. No Junior Club represented.

I assume from that that youā€™d have a lot of underage transfers of star players.
Seems mad in this day and age that youā€™d rely on such a small amount of clubs

Its a story (and there are a few) that should be pasted to young fellas walls.

Brian Lohan couldnt make his school team in his final year minor I think.

Paul Flanagan was abandoned a few years back.

Those 2 immediately come to mind but there are others. Support, hard work (that goes for coaches), building confidence for me are key. Too many young lads / ladies are lost to shit management and a lack of foresight.

And a fella getting on a Cumann Na Mbunscoil or Forristal team means fuck all beyond having a lovely day out.

7 Likes

Gillane wasnā€™t starting on his minor side either and possibly even missed out on a couple of 21 all irelands.

Flanagan was marked as a bit of a star at minor but he was only a sub on the 21 team who won the all Ireland in 2017.

Tom Morrissey was a sub on the minor teams in 2013.

William o Donghue didnā€™t play a whole pile of 21s hurling either.

This Limerick side has a fair mix of players from different clubs and fellas coming via different paths too.

Didnt Morrissey start his final year minor? Thought he started in aI Semi in 2013 aswell?

Flanagan was good his last year u21- was that 2018?

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a hurler improve as much as Hegarty. When he came in the scene first he was all unbalanced and awkward looking. Bambi on ice. I remember thinking this lad will never make itā€¦

5 Likes

Cork had starters from 15 different clubs last week, and it didnā€™t do them much good :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Donā€™t say that, the Limerickā€™s will bring it up at every opportunity to try and soften you. Even if they agreed with that opinion at the time

4 Likes