All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

Although Hegarty improved massively, I actually think Gillaneā€™s improvement is nearly more meteoric.

He was always tidy enough but the mindset change to become one of the most dominant forwards in the game was incredible. Struggled to make the bench at minor & U-21 level until his breakthrough at the end of 2016/start of 2017.

3 Likes

He was one of the players many wanted dropped after the Ennis game in 2018. He wasnā€™t even that good in the semi final and final in 18. His improvement since 2019 is off the charts.

1 Like

In the league semi final against Waterford in 2016 he looked all at sea. Gearoid has an inner confidence and he exudes it in all he does. A very nice lad as are his family who are good people.

7 Likes

Iā€™d be the first to admit even after the 2020 all Ireland which was played in the autumn and behind closed doors when hegarty won the hurler of the year I thought he might never do anything similar again. I didnā€™t really think he was as good as people made out to be honest. He was effective at times in 2018 and 2019 but that was his third year on the panel and he was 23/24.

Gillane has improved obviously but he was the star for his club and won a 21 all Ireland too as a star forward.

Hegarty hasnā€™t just improved heā€™s completely changed his game. Itā€™s like the bonnar Maher turning into Seamus Callahan or something. He deserves incredible praise.

2 Likes

Any suspicions as to what these improvements are down to?

A real suspicion of hard work.

4 Likes

Thats the nail on the head there

Cork always have a huge spread of clubs in every age group. Itā€™s something Iā€™ve always noticed.

Eating Steak dinners and doing press ups.

3 Likes

Kinnerk is a phenomenal skills coach. Hegartyā€™s first touch is off the charts. Training to do the right thing under as intense pressure as you can create in a session, particularly while tired, thatā€™s how you improve for match situations.

1 Like

Itā€™s definitely not all the time he spent practicing hitting the ball off a wall anyway.

Paul Kinnerk

And a winning mentality

Limerickness.

2 Likes

I think Ken Hogan explained it well on Daloā€™s podcastā€¦they dont look united and there are few leaders when it matters. I have said this avout Cork for years. Bar 1 or 2 they dont look on the same page at all

Didnā€™t Gearoid Hegarty pull a famous Cork ex-poster on this last year and say that it was time spent pucking a ball agin a wall that helped him greatly?

Obviously my quip went straight over your headā€¦

You got me good

Whatā€™s the record for a semi-final beating in a match not involving Antrim or some other team who got a bye to this stage? Was it 24 points Tipperary beat Limerick by in 2009? Could see Limerick challenging that margin against Galway - if they want to, which they probably donā€™t.

If they wanted to they could win by 30 points but at this stage they are too cute and wonā€™t open up against teams unless itā€™s a final.