All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

To think there are clowns out there who wanted Brian Cody gone. Thing is he has probably forgotten more about the game than they will ever know. Remarkable where the appetite and hunger comes from and the players never seem to lie down. Limerick will be itching for a crack at them after 2019 but then again so will Galway. If you told me there would be a hammering doled out this weekend I would have said Galway would have been on the receiving end but maybe that will be a classic now tomorrow. We could do with one.

5 Likes

The wides kilt Clare. If they hit 3 or 4 of the multitude they missed in the first half it’s a different game altogether.
We were blessed to hit a good day and have the opposition hit a bad one.

Did he?

Not any more mate.

They didn’t have the seven point limerick hatred bonus. Never turned up. Crazy shooting from far out. KK are some boyos in fairness

3 Likes

Great win. Be great to make it there today

1 Like

Kilkenny used the break excellently, there were reports that training was as good a standard since the Leinster final as it was when they were putting multiple all Ireland together and it showed on the pitch, they were hungry, executing all the basics to a very high level at pace with few unforced errors.

We in the other hand looked like a side who’s tank was running empty, the manic workrate, harrying and turnovers we were forcing in our forwards wasn’t there like previous and we just made no real impact from 9 to 15. Without that platform we were always going to struggle to get the foothold on the game that we needed and ended up hitting far too many pot shots.

I’d say we have very little done on the training pitch over the last month or so after a draining Munster final and then having to go to the well v Wexford meaning that we weren’t able to find the extra gear and speed of hurling you need when you get to Croke Park at the business end of the championship- which is exactly what Kilkenny did.

5 Likes

I’d say TJ had quotes from tattle all over the dressing room. Take that @PinaColadaFan

8 Likes

Safe travels to all today. Looking forward to a good game against our Galway buddies

10 Likes

Definitely but most of the time lads don’t have the foothold to do it. Hard to position yourself to bat a ball when the other lad is backing into you. Half the time you’ll end up waving at the ball. The other way is to take a few steps back but if you come and don’t get it you’re in an even worse spot than if he caught it over you. At the end of the day the old style murderous overhead pull is the best approach but lads don’t know how to do that these days.

Average age of the team being on the high side is a problem as well. There’s a big gap to the next decent crop of U20s so are playing with the same hand to a large degree next year. Although Aidan McCarthy will probably be a big factor of he gets back to where he was.

Another issue is that Munster is extremely difficult to emerge from unless you have a gear or two to spare like Limerick do. No guarantees at all you’ll be around at the business end again next year. And if you are, you’ll face the same challenges again with freshness, timing etc unless you beat Limerick and go the short route.

1 Like

Paddy Deegan had a fair go at it when Tom Monaghan put up the hand in Salthill but the ref didn’t like it one bit

You would feel that McCarthy, Meehan and Rodgers will all start next year barring injury but realistically we probably need Crotty to take a step and become at least a solid impact player off the bench come championship. Adam Hogan will be in the 26 next year too and will probably be starting come 2024.

Very few alternatives to centre back though. Conlon has exceeded expectations there but medium term what do you do? Diarmuid Ryan maybe but I still think he is a big green and his attacking style more suited to wing back.

Is this the most passive aggressive quote ever on TFK?

5 Likes

Would mccarthy not play centre back?

I think he might well be given a chance there alright but I wasn’t overly impressed with him as a half back in 2020.

He was a really important player for us last year and a really effective half forward as he had the ability to drift from sideline to sideline and was excellent at both getting on breaks and winning his own ball. I think he has a slight selfish/greedy streak in him which is fine for a forward which might take a few years more maturity before he has the nous for 6

1 Like

Would need more time. Didn’t look great at wing back in his rookie year. Physically not there yet either, at least not the last time we saw him.

1 Like

Cian Galvin likely missing another senior club championship campaign with injury isn’t great for his prospects either

Think if Cody was picking the team he’d go for Ryan at 6. But he’d be a very different 6 to Conlon. If you wanted more of a like for like you’d probably go with DMc. Maybe Malone could go back to 5. I think his days might be numbered at midfield either way as the tank was running low by the MF this year.

If Brian Cody was picking the Clare team?? Wtf???