All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

Yeah the legs certainly look to be on the wane. Whether it is due to playing every game since pre season or simply him the wrong side of 30 now is the question.

He has played the more defensive role this year screening and what not but his ability to carry ball and break tackles has gone back compared years previous.

Not with downbeat Derek at the helm.

It is still very much the case in the really big games.

Think Limerick v Kilkenny in 2019. Waterford couldnt handle any bit of favouritism this year.

Clare played their best hurling at the start of this years championship when they were written off. As soon as they were hyped up, they collapsed.

These counties just cant handle the pressure for the most part.

2 Likes

I was wondering the same as that second half progressed. Clare had a load of ball but were happy to save face on the score board in the end. Lamping in shots from 100 yards out. Made a few one man efforts and got creamed in the process.

Key now is keeping Lohan in there long term which mightn’t be simple.

Nothing standing in the way of that now

I think both Clare and Waterford went all in to beat Limerick. When they didn’t the arse fell out of it. Waterford never got up off the canvas after losing to Limerick.
Clare eventually fell over the line v Wexford once they collapsed. They were punch drunk and walked into Kk with the chin out. It’s a tough day for them and they got a good clipping.

5 Likes

Will he be bothered though. It’s really another 5 years to bring through a new panel with his stamp only on them.

Were we not raging favourites for every match against Tipp and cork the last 3 years or are they no longer part of the traditional counties?

3 Likes

You just need them to get the job done for you now on the 17th in a not quite sold out Croke Park.

“Worst KK team ever beat Limerick’s greatest AGAIN, worst championship ever, there are no young players!”

Would Hayes be too impulsive to play at 6? He has plenty of hurling and legs to get across where he would need to.

Flanagan has a good head, has he played anywhere other than corner-back/full-back?

Both have played centre back at club level. I think Hayes would be a solid replacement for Ryan at wing back if you shifted Ryan to 6

I would have always thought Ryan would be the next long-term 6, but was impressed by his ability to get forward this year and you don’t exactly want to lose that either.

1 Like

Agreed. You might be stifling a bit of his game by putting him at 6

@flattythehurdler

8 Likes

He’ll be stalking him again now

A stereotypical IT oddball like meself.

Every team needs a Hanbury. The quiet fella in the corner who knows the scope of his role and has the capability to master it.

2 Likes

I said really big games.

Its grand being favourites against Tipp in a mickey mouse round robin/winter blitz/Munster Final played in front of Rob Ryan and a few stewards.

It would be a different story beating Tipp in a proper knockout game in front of a full Croke Park let me tell you.

Hurling wasn’t invented 4 years ago I’m afraid.

Big House can buy a future but not the past unfortunately.

So, how does he want to be remembered as a hurler?

“I don’t,” he responds immediately. “Genuinely.

Brillaint …

1 Like