All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

“We prefer the club championships to the inter county championships now anyway” :sob: :sob:

We have the best club championships too by the way! :laughing:

Dominant teams do that.

1 Like

Limerick didn’t change the format into this crazy round robin nonsense and they didn’t get the final moved to July.

The structure is shit. It favours county’s who have a large playing population and piles of money.

It’s no surprise waterford were 0/8 in the round robin crap but became competitive when it reverted to the old format for the past two years.

Knockout championship gives everyone a chance.

Limerick would be dominant at the moment under any structure. Winners adapt and don’t make excuses.

1 Like

That’s not really the point though.

Fair enough. One could’t disagree with the fact that knockout is more exciting. It’s a bit of a conundrum though with such a small pool of teams. How can you get more games without diluting the excitement.

1 Like

You should be on Ripleys believe it or not mate, as a showcase for what is possible with incest

Well population is always going to hinder certain counties and creating these pools where you are required to play so many games in such a short period of time will always suit teams with a bigger squad.

Maybe it’s a case of rose tinted glasses but I remember nearly always looking forward to every championship clash regardless if limerick were playing or not. Can’t say that’s the case anymore that’s for sure.

1 Like

I see the season has well and truly started. No sign of any shadow boxing here

Limerick have a smallish number hurling if truth told .

The city isn’t strong : the 3 town in west Limerick are weak to non existent . The game isn’t played in swathes of the county .

The secondary school structures are weak

What are our numbers like compared to Offaly or Waterford?

Exactly. We have a once in a lifetime set of players at the moment.

3 Likes

we’d have won 2 in the 90’s with a bit of luck. We had a once in a lifetime set of backs then too and Ciaran. An auld forward to go with Kirby and we’d have won 2 or 3

2 Likes

:dart::dart::dart::dart:

The same debate was around when Kilkenny were in their pomp.

The championship is boring.
They’re too good.
They’re too physical.
Referees need to clamp down on them.

Now, long may Limerick continue to boil the collective piss of the hurling world but even a team as ruthless as this won’t go on forever. If they can add another league title or two that’ll do me.

Once this team departs we’ll probably revert to the levels of a Clare or Wexford.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that Tipp team of 2009-11 would have been quite so good only they had to raise their levels to Kilkenny to get a sniff of winning.

Having one great team out there can be of benefit to the game, but only if others raise their levels to meet them

If you swapped Tom Ryan and Ger Loughnane as managers in the nineties Clare would have won none and Limerick two.

They won’t as long Jp keeps pumping in the money particularly at underage. They’ll remain very competitive but not as dominant.

The gaa is going down the same route as pro sports. The teams/counties with the most money will be at the top bar the odd year. It’ll happen in both hurling and football.

The gaa should look to address this ASAP.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

None of us are deluded enough to think this is going to last forever. But I certainly think there is the possibility of Limerick going on to win at least another All Ireland. That would be 4, which is some haul for one team. After that, who knows…

The big point of discussion should be based around who will emerge to topple us eventually, like Tipp did in 2010.

2 Likes

It’s essentially been built off a group of lads mostly born between 1994 and 1996. I’d say there’s savage togetherness among the group who all came through around the one time. The 1996 crew in particular are special and a lot of them like Lynch and Finn have the advantage of being born early in that calendar year.

1 Like