All Ireland Hurling Championship 2022

that is very, very harsh on Tom, I think he got the absolute maximum out of what was available to him. He beat Loughnane’s Clare in an epic inside in the Ennis Road sure.

1 Like

On a small point of order, JP McManus does not give any sponsorship whatsoever towards Limerick Underage Hurling. Zero.

Gerry McManus does. 2 very different men, in lots of different ways.

1 Like

You really think he got the absolute maximum out of the team? In 96 especially? He did in his hole. A flute.

You could pump every single cent of Arab oil money into a county to improve hurling and you still mightn’t unearth a Joe Canning or Cian Lynch. Tradition in the GAA is more important than money.

Kilkenny will always be there or thereabouts because they are Kilkenny. Nothing to do with money.

This is a once of a lifetime set of players combined with a once in a lifetime management and back room team. It won’t last indefinitely.

Until we start losing again, and the only certainly is that it will occur at some point, I’m happy enough to sew into cunts who have never even won a two in a row.

5 Likes

righteo…
away with you

1 Like

I’d disagree. Limerick will remain very competitive for many years if they keep the underage structures in place. They won’t be As dominant but they’ll be there or there abouts.

Tyrone are very good example. They’ve done incredible fundraising for 30 odd years. They’d a team similar to limerick now in the 00s and many assumed they’d disappear after it but they’ve been regulars in semi finals for the last decade or so.

The counties in hurling and football with the biggest investments underage and in their senior panels will dominate.

When will a small county like Offaly win an all Ireland next? They’ve no Chance with the current formats anyway imo. Unless shane Lowry starts really pumping the money in.

1 Like

all this talk of investment is overstated. You could have billions and isn’t going to turn a lad who wouldn’t hurl spuds to ducks into a Cian Lynch

you can set up structures without massive investment at a County level. It involves getting lads down to clubs at 6 or 7 and learning he fundamental skills and garnering the interest through proper coaching.

Primary and Secondary schools as well, it needs to be reinforced there. This can be done without excessive funding, it needs interest and tradition

Money never turned a bad hurler in to a good one

1 Like

Hopefully that U20 football All-Ireland is a sign of things to come for them. Leinster football needs it anyway.

If you had a good Offaly of the late 90’s in that 2019 Leinster hurling championship when it all came down to the last minute of the round robin then it would have been sensational. 5 decent teams instead of 4.

I’ve ye down for five total out of this cohort :wink:

There’ll always be exceptions to the rule and limericks complete dominance won’t last but limerick won’t disappear if they keep the structures in place.

When the dubs put their population advantages and financial clout together along with the right systems in place underage Kerry for all their tradition couldn’t match them.

Singling out one player is a red herring.

The key is in the 1990s Lk didn’t have firepower . The reality to is that those years the Big 3 weren’t great

In 94,Lk ambushed a bang average cork team and were helped by Clare beating Tipp

Offaly were better than Lk those years

In 1996 Lk were haunted to get over Clare and got a pile of goals v Tipp . The team blew it v an average Wex team in final . There was no unlucky

This is it. There needs to be more games and more exposure nationally… Obviously knockout is great but with the back door you still generally had a couple of rounds of mismatches before getting back to big knockout games… Retaining the provinces is always gonna stunt you… In that regard I think the round robin is grand. You get a spread of games and are guaranteed to have a test match against all Munster teams. With the old structure you could also go a few years without meeting certain counties and while you can argue the novelty makes it better, there’s so few teams you wanting to be meeting all the big guns as often as you can. The round robin should be a carnival of hurling visiting county grounds that never regularly saw championship matches but most counties are poor to support when thing’s aren’t going well.

1 Like

Have four different knockout championships in a row, each one following on from the other.

One championship in May, one in June, one in July and one in August.

The winners of each qualify for the semi-finals in September.

It would work like Going For Gold used to where the winners from Monday to Thursday would qualify for Friday’s finals.

There would be lots of intermediate prizes for teams who didn’t win the All-Ireland, you could be Munster champions for the month of August, for example. Lots of trophies and glory to go around.

1 Like

I’d be surprised too, I think the Galway thing will be a total flop

Like Zidane at Real Madrid, Shefflin was perfectly suited to Ballyhale Shamrocks, but its hard to see him do anything elsewhere.

It was said, when he lost with Thomastown, he hadn’t a clue what to do.

1 Like

He’s in for some kick in the hole with the expectations in Galway when all he knows is the Cody style of management that’s 15 years outdated. We’ll wait and see but I can’t see this ending well for either party.

I’m not sure if club management has much relevance to the inter county game anymore anyway but I’d fancy myself to manage ballyhale to an all Ireland tbh.

Those kk players are a bit odd too. Not much else besides hurling going on.

Can see him being a terrible Galway manager anyway.

2 Likes

Some gas men here

13 time all Ireland senior medal winner

2 time club all Ireland winning manager

Yet to manage a game yet a senior IC & lads here who probably never hurled at junior club level writing the man off

Sweet Jesus

5 Likes

Winning all Ireland’s as a player has no relevance to managing teams whatsoever. John kiely is a prime example.

1 Like

That isn’t my point . Just cos someone was a brilliant player doesn’t mean they will be a bad manager

You are slinging cheap silly predictions here informed by a need to attract controversy