All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 949885, member: 2660”]

Astute people come with all sorts of personalities and make all sorts of mistakes too. Pat Gilroy would now be seen as a tactically astute manager, yet he presided over the worst collapse in Dublin football history and a five goal thrashing by Meath. He never got the Dublin team to even look at a video of what happened against Tyrone in 2008 and was powerless to explain what happened against Kerry in 2009, apart from calling his team “startled earwigs”. He didn’t look very astute at the time.
.[/QUOTE]

nor does he now when you see what Dublin have gone on to do…Dublin should be going for 4 in a row…all for the sake of finding a place for his buddy Eamon fennel and moving Macauley out of midfield in order to do so…

Whether Cork’s collapse against Dublin will be a good or bad thing is open to opinion. However to state that it is a good thing for a full strength Cork team to throw away a 10 point lead and get hammered in a game of importance while it’s a bad thing for an understrength Kerry team to get a drubbing from Cork in a meaningless game is a retarded thing to say in the context of the matter.

Dublin suffered in a similar fashion to the way every other defending champion has suffered since 1990, bar Kerry in 2007. I think Donegal would have beaten Dublin in the final by 4-6 points had Dublin got over Mayo.

And Dublin may yet find they don’t have the same hunger again this year - three winning campaigns in a row under Gavin, and Connolly and Brennan playing right throughout the winter with Vincent’s.

I’m sticking with Mayo for the All-Ireland.

Agreed. I think it may well prove to be a good lesson for Cork though. Dublin used it well when they collapsed against Cork in the League final in 2011. What I think may prove to be more instructive in the long run this year is why Dublin fell so far behind in the first place.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 949885, member: 2660”]My opinion on McGuinness is quite nuanced, Kevin. I like nuance. He clearly has a rather large ego, and he’s definitely a bit of a cunt. He’s made judgement calls that I didn’t like, but that’s his prerogative and in a county like Donegal he clearly felt, and perhaps with some justification, that he had to make them. He’s not worried about falling out with people because he’s single-minded in pursuit of success and has seen where previous Donegal management teams have fallen down.

Nobody’s arguing that you can’t change your mind about things. What you’ve done is you have gone from being a true believer to believing that Donegal’s failure last year completely invalidates his success before that, which is very obviously not the case.

Astute people come with all sorts of personalities and make all sorts of mistakes too. Pat Gilroy would now be seen as a tactically astute manager, yet he presided over the worst collapse in Dublin football history and a five goal thrashing by Meath. He never got the Dublin team to even look at a video of what happened against Tyrone in 2008 and was powerless to explain what happened against Kerry in 2009, apart from calling his team “startled earwigs”. He didn’t look very astute at the time.
.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think Gilroy is tactically astute. I think Mickey Whelan had a lot more to do with winning the AI than people think and the Dubs were not the same after he left.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 949885, member: 2660”]My opinion on McGuinness is quite nuanced, Kevin. I like nuance. He clearly has a rather large ego, and he’s definitely a bit of a cunt. He’s made judgement calls that I didn’t like, but that’s his prerogative and in a county like Donegal he clearly felt, and perhaps with some justification, that he had to make them. He’s not worried about falling out with people because he’s single-minded in pursuit of success and has seen where previous Donegal management teams have fallen down.

Nobody’s arguing that you can’t change your mind about things. What you’ve done is you have gone from being a true believer to believing that Donegal’s failure last year completely invalidates his success before that, which is very obviously not the case.

Lots of astute people show their arrogance to the world. Jose Mourinho has shown plenty of astuteness over the years but shows a lot more arrogance. Is Rupert Murdoch astute? Is he a cunt?

Why is McHugh gone? Perhaps he doesn’t have the appetite for it. He’s about 24 and perhaps feels that he wants to do something else with his life for a while.

Who, in your view would have got Donegal to challenge for an All-Ireland last year? 2012 was their second ever All-Ireland. One All-Ireland is seen as an end in itself in a county like Donegal. One team in the last 24 years has retained the title. It was rather predictable that they wouldn’t be near the same force last year, given the necessary sacrifices that that inter-county GAA players have to make in order to be successful.

Donegal have some excellent players (I’d say probably four are genuine top class players - Murphy, McFadden, Lacey, McGlynn - and in the case of McFadden and McGlynn they would not have been regarded as top class when McGuinness took over) but that can be said of lots of counties. I certainly don’t think their talent pool stands out in Ulster and is well behind Dublin and Cork. I don’t believe they have near the capacity to play like Dublin. What McGuinness has done is implement a system. The system instilled discipline in the players. Then it bred confidence. The confidence made the players better. Then the better players made the system better and enabled them to refine it. It’s a virtuous circle.[/QUOTE]
Sid I never said anything he did post 2013 in anyway diminishes winning in 2012, that’s utter crap and you know it.
I have, and still give, him huge credit for what he did, for many of the reasons you outlined above. This does not mean he hasn’t made some serious errors of judgement since.

You basically agree with me on nearly everything and visa versa, you must just be bored an looking for a disagreement.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 949997, member: 273”]Sid I never said anything he did post 2013 in anyway diminishes winning in 2012, that’s utter crap and you know it.
I have, and still give, him huge credit for what he did, for many of the reasons you outlined above. This does not mean he hasn’t made some serious errors of judgement since.

You basically agree with me on nearly everything and visa versa, you must just be bored an looking for a disagreement.[/QUOTE]

He disagrees that Donegal have the pool of talent you think they have, that the system they play brings the best out of the team and they don’t have the players to play a game like Dublin and compete effectively?

How could you actually miss that when reading his post?

Absolute horse shit Sid. You haven’t a fucking clue if you think you can just win an All Ireland with a system.
No system would win an All Ireland with Kerry, Tyrone, Galway, Down, Meath, Derry, Monaghan or Armagh.

It’s virtually never more than 3 teams in the running for an AI, this year no different. Dublin, Cork & Mayo in that order, with the Dubs the strongest chance of 2-in-a-row in a long time for anyone outside Kerry.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 950009, member: 273”]Absolute horse shit Sid. You haven’t a fucking clue if you think you can just win an All Ireland with a system.
No system would win an All Ireland with Kerry, Tyrone, Galway, Down, Meath, Derry, Monaghan or Armagh.

It’s virtually never more than 3 teams in the running for an AI, this year no different. Dublin, Cork & Mayo in that order, with the Dubs the strongest chance of 2-in-a-row in a long time for anyone outside Kerry.[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

You are some balloon.

Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan have a much better chance of winning an All Ireland this year than Cork and that is depsite the fact they have to go through the minefield that is the Ulster Championship.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 950009, member: 273”]Absolute horse shit Sid. You haven’t a fucking clue if you think you can just win an All Ireland with a system.

It’s virtually never more than 3 teams in the running for an AI, this year no different. Dublin, Cork & Mayo in that order, with the Dubs the strongest chance of 2-in-a-row in a long time for anyone outside Kerry.[/QUOTE]
How do you explain Donegal going from a thrashing by a poor Armagh team in the first round of the qualifiers in 2010 to winning two Ulster championships and the All-Irelands by 2012?

How do you think Donegal would have dome in 2011 and 2012 had John Joe Doherty, Declan Bonner, or Martin McHugh been in charge?

How did Kerry go within a hair’s breadth of beating Dublin last year?

How did Greece win a European Championship? Was it the quality of their players?Perhaps their system had a little bit to do with it?

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 950024, member: 183”]How do you explain Donegal going from a thrashing by a poor Armagh team in the first round of the qualifiers in 2010 to winning two Ulster championships and the All-Irelands by 2012?

How do you think Donegal would have dome in 2011 and 2012 had John Joe Doherty, Declan Bonner, or Martin McHugh been in charge?

How did Greece win a European Championship? Was it the quality of their players?Perhaps their system had a little bit to do with it?[/QUOTE]

Apparently you basically agreed with everything he said.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 950024, member: 183”]How do you explain Donegal going from a thrashing by a poor Armagh team in the first round of the qualifiers in 2010 to winning two Ulster championships and the All-Irelands by 2012?

How did Greece win a European Championship? Was it the quality of their players?Perhaps their system had a little bit to do with it?[/QUOTE]
Welcome back Sid.

:eek:

Sidney is a much better character than The Scouse Cafu and I demand his return.

Agreed. I think we can all overlook his minor indiscretion. It was embarrassing for him to be proven wrong on the internet, and God forbid it ever happens to one of us, but lets all move on and agree it never happened. I’m sure @Il Bomber Destro agrees.

Yes, I would also like @Sidney to return. Can I ask a favour that we draw a line under this issues now? I think it’s very important that we don’t get sidetracked from making Kevin accountable for the rubbish he is spouting.

You are some balloon.

Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan have a much better chance of winning an All Ireland this year than Cork and that is depsite the fact they have to go through the minefield that is the Ulster Championship.[/QUOTE]
:smiley:

Firstly - are you retarded? I give him the majority if the credit for 2012 you gimp and no matter how many times you try to twist it, my stance has not changed.
Secondly Kerry didn’t come within a hairs breath of anything. Dublin underestimated them and put their loosest marker on Gooch. As soon a they changed Dublin completely dominated them. If it wa a boxing match the 2nd half would have seen the ref stop it.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 950047, member: 273”]
Secondly Kerry didn’t come within a hairs breath of anything. Dublin underestimated them and put their loosest marker on Gooch. As soon a they changed Dublin completely dominated them. If it wa a boxing match the 2nd half would have seen the ref stop it.[/QUOTE]

Much like what happened with Cork in the league semi-final this year?

That’s arguably the stupidest and most ill informed opinion on here yet, even with totti around.