All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

True, but Cork an Kerry are heading indifferent directions. Cork did the same to Dublin in 2010/11.

whats so wrong with that post kev?..and how is it ill-informed?

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 950047, member: 273”]Firstly - are you retarded? I give him the majority if the credit for 2012 you gimp and no matter how many times you try to twist it, my stance has not changed.
Secondly Kerry didn’t come within a hairs breath of anything. Dublin underestimated them and put their loosest marker on Gooch. As soon a they changed Dublin completely dominated them. If it wa a boxing match the 2nd half would have seen the ref stop it.[/QUOTE]
That attitude is like something I’d expect to hear a blindly partisan Dublin fan to say, and believe me, I know my share of them. I could have sworn that I saw Declan O’Sullivan miss a sitter to put Kerry ahead after 68 and a half minutes.

I guess you think Atletico Madrid didn’t come within a hair’s breadth of winning the Champions League the other night either? They lost 4-1, like.

If you think Donegal’s superior natural talent was the main reason they won in 2012, why do you give them no chance this year, given that there presumably has been little to no fall off in their natural talent since then?

interesting reading from last year…

http://www.thefreekick.com/board/index.php?threads/allianz-football-league-2013.16525/page-26

How are Cork and Kerry heading in different directions? Kerry are probably further ahead of Cork in their transitional phase. What gives you so much confidence in a Cork team which has been hit by a raft of retirements and the loss of probably their best forward? Kerry finished the league very strongly and still have to welcome back players such as Declan O’Sullivan, Darran O’Sullivan and Donaghy and while they may be in the latter stages of their careers they are players who can come in and still make an impact on games, it’s vital to still have players like this around. Kerry for me have a much better blend of youth and experience and mental toughness than Cork have.

Remember the 1994 All-Ireland final? Dublin won it easily. Down did not, I repeat not, come close to winning.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 950047, member: 273”]
Secondly Down didn’t come within a hairs breath of anything. Dublin underestimated them and put their loosest marker on Mickey Linden. As soon a they changed Dublin completely dominated them. If it was a boxing match the 2nd half would have seen the ref stop it.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=“scumpot, post: 950061, member: 182”]interesting reading from last year…

http://www.thefreekick.com/board/index.php?threads/allianz-football-league-2013.16525/page-26[/QUOTE]
:pint:

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 950060, member: 2660”]That attitude is like something I’d expect to hear a blindly partisan Dublin fan to say, and believe me, I know my share of them. I could have sworn that I saw Declan O’Sullivan miss a sitter to put Kerry ahead after 68 and a half minutes.

I guess you think Atletico Madrid didn’t come within a hair’s breadth of winning the Champions League the other night either? They lost 4-1, like.

If you think Donegal’s superior natural talent was the main reason they won in 2012, why do you give them no chance this year, given that there presumably has been little to no fall off in their natural talent since then?[/QUOTE]
The collective belief isn’t in their game yet, although there was signs if something yesterday. McHugh is gone and McFadden has lost his mojo, both huge players in '12.
On the other hand Karl Lacy has been released to do other work due to the development of the undoubted talent Leo McLoone has started to deliver on.

They will have a decent year, but they won’t win it, not by a long shot.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 950071, member: 273”]The collective belief isn’t in their game yet, although there was signs if something yesterday. McHugh is gone and McFadden has lost his mojo, both huge players in '12.
On the other hand Karl Lacy has been released to do other work due to the development of the undoubted talent Leo McLoone has started to deliver on.

They will have a decent year, but they won’t win it, not by a long shot.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people would say that McFadden was Donegal’s best performer in the league this season so it’s a bit harsh to say that he’s lost his mojo on the basis of one game. To be honest the whole Donegal full forward line was well marshalled by an outstanding Derry full back line yesterday. Murphy only really figured for 5 minutes when he won a ball in front of McKaigue and laid it off to McGlynn for the goal and then a nice dummy to slot over a point - other than little period he didn’t influence from play too much and McKaigue had him well controlled.

Munster and All Ireland U21 titles, bigger stronger more conditioned team, far better younger players, 9 IC standard forwards, 5 backs only (which is our downfall). Kerry have 4 forwards, maybe 5, 1-2 backs up to it and an immobile midfield.

Darran O Sullivan is banjaxed.
Declan has not shown consistent hunger for 5 years.
Donaghy :D:D:D
A former Kerry panel member told me the other day he may not make the match squad.

McFadden has been shit for 15-16 months.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 950086, member: 273”]Munster and All Ireland U21 titles, bigger stronger more conditioned team, far better younger players, 9 IC standard forwards, 5 backs only (which is our downfall). Kerry have 4 forwards, maybe 5, 1-2 backs up to it and an immobile midfield.

Darran O Sullivan is banjaxed.
Declan has not shown consistent hunger for 5 years.
Donaghy :D:D:D
A former Kerry panel member told me the other day he may not make the match squad.[/QUOTE]

From seeing both teams this year and last I would have to say Kerry look to have much better options in the middle of the field than Cork do. I’d also have much more faith in Kerry’s forward line than Cork’s talented but very windy collection of forwards. I don’t think there is anything to suggest that Cork have a better defence than Kerry either. Fitzmaurice has done a good job with Kerry and I was impressed with the way they defended as a team last year.

He was probably Donegal’s best player last year. They would not have beaten Tyrone and Down without him.

Surely McHugh has been given a few weeks to get his hunger back or do you think he’s gone for the year ??..they will beat fermanagh /Antrim in the semi final…McHugh could have a nice rest and be back in contention for an Ulster final …the opposition will be well broken up from going through the other side of the draw too…

He knows nothing about Dublin football, club or inter county so he won’t answer. He’s made a complete cock of himself again on this thread.

Kev utilising “dumb” ratings now to avoid rebutting points. Ill forgive you the time difference and will retract this remark if you provide a reasoned analysis of why McFadden was not Donegal’s best player last year when you get a chance, Kev.

Christ this has been wipe a wipe out. Gilmore resigned over less.

Whelan was a well lined character, but he wasn’t any secret behind the success. And they have hardly gone to shit since.

Because in the games I saw him play he was lazy and only played off perfect ball. The year before he was winning serious dirty ball and closing down defenders. There was a huge difference in his game.

Whelan won the club championship for Vincents in 2008 and Gilroy played for him. He stepped down after that to become selector for Gilroy, if you think the Dublin county board could select Whelan after what happened previously your a fool but he was the man they wanted and it was unfinished business.

Gilroy wouldn’t have got the job without Whelan and Dublin were not the same under Gilroy after Whelan left.

It’s widely recognised that the changes with regard coaching that Whelan tried to bring in back in '96 was years ahead of anyone.

[QUOTE=“Ebeneezer Goode, post: 950395, member: 1785”]Whelan won the club championship for Vincents in 2008 and Gilroy played for him. He stepped down after that to become selector for Gilroy, if you think the Dublin county board could select Whelan after what happened previously your a fool but he was the man they wanted and it was unfinished business.

Gilroy wouldn’t have got the job without Whelan and Dublin were not the same under Gilroy after Whelan left.

It’s widely recognised that the changes with regard coaching that Whelan tried to bring in back in '96 was years ahead of anyone.[/QUOTE]
Dublin were not the same because they had satisfied their hunger an Gilroy was gone after that anyway.

This myth that some coaches have about them is hilarious, as if the whole thing would fall apart because of him leaving. No doubt he was a help, but hunger and Alan Brogans loss would be much much bigger issues.

I saw some of the coaching up close, and Whelan may be a good trainer/coach and did a lot to develop go-games etc, but he showed to be very naive as well and over complicated with certain ideas. And coaching has changed 3-4 times since 96. It’s not easy to keep relevant, granted. Some of the stuff him and Moyna did with DCU was farcical.