All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

I get the feeling a few of the players were sick of McHugh as well.

Any basis for this comment?

Just donegal lads telling stories at training, two are club mates of his. Neither fans of Jimmy, but say McHugh is the issue here.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 950407, member: 273”]Dublin were not the same because they had satisfied their hunger an Gilroy was gone after that anyway.

This myth that some coaches have about them is hilarious, as if the whole thing would fall apart because of him leaving. No doubt he was a help, but hunger and Alan Brogans loss would be much much bigger issues.

I saw some of the coaching up close, and Whelan may be a good trainer/coach and did a lot to develop go-games etc, but he showed to be very naive as well and over complicated with certain ideas. And coaching has changed 3-4 times since 96. It’s not easy to keep relevant, granted. Some of the stuff him and Moyna did with DCU was farcical.[/QUOTE]

Was Donegal last year a case of hunger loss rather than McGuinness not being an astute manager so? Every post you make seems to be a contradiction of a previous one you made.

[QUOTE=“Ebeneezer Goode, post: 950395, member: 1785”] left.

It’s widely recognised that the changes with regard coaching that Whelan tried to bring in back in '96 was years ahead of anyone.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Gilroy point but I remember Mickey Whelan training a team by running them up and down the stairs in D.I.T Bolton street back at the turn of the century… think he encouraged players to express themselves more than any master class in coaching…He took over Dublin at totally the wrong time in '96 after they had finally reached the holy grail after years of trying… still only lost to meath, who went on to win all Ireland, by a couple of points…but for a fitness coach it was strange for him to bring Joe McNally back into the fold… Dublin’s main reason for winning in 2011 was the amount of training they did more than anything … against Cork in semi final in 2010 they ran out of steam and were dead on their feat near the end, just lunging in and giving away soft frees…in 2011 morning sessions in clontarf , then back again in evening…they were fit enough to stay in the game for 70 minutes and hope for a lucky break like they got against Kerry…Now they are a totally different animal who play with a swagger and just come in waves for 70 minutes…

Nail on head.

@Il Bomber Destro - are the BBC showing the Fermanagh vs Antrim game live on Sunday ?

Don’t think so, Armagh and Cavan is also not being shown.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 950545, member: 2533”]Don’t think so, Armagh and Cavan is also not being shown.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks - disappointing news.

No live football so this weekend

He was named Man of the Match against Down.

I obviously did not see that game. However any big name can get MOTM if they kick a few nice points from irish commentators or analysts.

[QUOTE=“thedancingbaby, post: 950551, member: 48”]Thanks - disappointing news.

No live football so this weekend[/QUOTE]
Ridiculous after all the talk about TV rights etc.

That would be a great title for a poem, about two people who had fallen out of love.

:smiley:

Without having seen the game you are happy to assume he didn’t deserve it?
You can’t argue with that logic. :clap:

Fitness alone doesn’t win All Irelands. I don’t believe the Dubs would have won an AI under Gilroy without Mickey Whelan.

Jim Gavin however is worlds apart. U21 titles in 2010 and 2012 and senior last year. Dubs are savage under him.

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 950598, member: 332”]
Without having seen the game you are happy to assume he didn’t deserve it?
You can’t argue with that logic. :clap:[/QUOTE]
-What logic? o_O
-Precisely. :cool:

[QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 950607, member: 1533”]-What logic? o_O
-Precisely. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Whats going on here, are you repeating my joke or not getting that it was a joke in the first place?

I see the referees have been called in for a “refresher” course on the application of the black card

Expect a raft of (possibly undeserved) black cards this weekend.

I presume they’re being told ‘forget that aul blackcard shite and drive on’.

From Irish Commentators or analysts? Yes, the Irish are the worst for analysing GAA. The European pundits are much better. Hopefully The Sunday Game will get Marcotti or Honigstein on the show this year.