All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

Raymond Gallagher as well who was also a very talented player at his best.

He was. M. Fitz was more skillful.

inferior
ɪnˈfɪərɪə/
adjective
[LIST=1]
[*]1.
lower in rank, status, or quality.
“schooling in inner-city areas was inferior to that in the rest of the country”
synonyms:lower in status, lesser[/URL], second-class, second-fiddle, [URL=‘https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=define+minor&sa=X&ei=PeKQU-OlHof3kAWv3oDQCA&ved=0CCMQ_SowAA’]minor[/URL],[URL=‘https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=define+subservient&sa=X&ei=PeKQU-OlHof3kAWv3oDQCA&ved=0CCQQ_SowAA’]subservient[/URL], [URL=‘https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=define+lowly&sa=X&ei=PeKQU-OlHof3kAWv3oDQCA&ved=0CCUQ_SowAA’]lowly[/URL], [URL=‘https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=define+humble&sa=X&ei=PeKQU-OlHof3kAWv3oDQCA&ved=0CCYQ_SowAA’]humble[/URL],[URL=‘https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=define+menial&sa=X&ei=PeKQU-OlHof3kAWv3oDQCA&ved=0CCcQ_SowAA’]menial, not very important, not so important, below someone,beneath someone, under someone’s heel; More

[/LIST]

Kildare team to face Louth on Sunday named:
Mark Donnellan

Hugh McGrillen
Mick Foley
Emmet Bolton

Ollie Lyons
Fergal Conway
Keith Cribben

Tommy Moolick
Sean Hurley

Cathal McNally
Niall Kelly
Padraig O’Neill

Eamon Callaghan ©
Tomas O’Connor
Paddy Brophy

A strange selection by Ryan for his first championship game with Kildare, the forwards in particular. Not picking Eoghan O’Flaherty is very odd, he’s a great playmaker for the team and his free-taking would be very important with Mulhall unavailable through injury. Picking both McNally and Paudie O’Neill is not what most were expecting either, I’d much rather see Cribben moved up to the half forward line, and have a more capable defender like Hyland in the team. The amount of players unavailable through injury is staggering, so if we can squeak past Louth (who’ve always stood up to us), I’d be very pleased.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 955255, member: 2533”]A lot will depend on the team Armagh name. There are concerns over the likes of Donaghy, Caolan Rafferty, Morgan, Harold and Kernan. Armagh impressed me during the league considering they were without the majority of their starting defence for the league campaign. Stefan Campbell looks like he could relieve a lot of the dependence on Clarke and some of the younger guys like Ethan Rafferty and Findon showed up really well. Caolan Rafferty and Stephen Harold were also in excellent form. There was only four points in the corresponding fixture last year and that was in spite of Armagh committing tactical suicide. I think they will be much more organised defensively without reverting to the dour system Cavan have and I don’t see much to worry the Armagh defence in the Cavan attack. Armagh were also away last year.

I’d imagine a full strength Armagh team would be as follows:

McEvoy

Mallon
Donaghy
Morgan

A. Kernan
McKeever
Shields

E. Rafferty
Harold

T. Kernan
Dyas
C. Rafferty

Clarke
Campbell
Forker

There aren’t too many options to improve the attack but there are good options now in defence and midfield. McEvoy must be one of the worst keepers in the country and you’d surely expect that there has to be a better goalkeeper in Armagh.[/QUOTE]

The Armagh team was named last night:

Mc Evoy
A Mallon
Vernon
Morgan
Shields
Donaghy
Mc Keever
Toner
Findon
C Rafferty
Dyas
Mc Verry
Clarke
E Rafferty
Campbell

A few things:

[LIST]
[]Vernon named at full back is a strange one, he normally plays out around the middle of the pitch in midfield or the half back or half forward lines. I would be surprised to see him start there, I think we might see Donaghy drop back to full back.
[
]Don’t know what the story is with Stephen Harold, whether he is injured or not but he would be Armagh’s best midfielder and I thought he would have started if available.
[]Ethan Rafferty has been named at full forward, again I wonder if he will start there, he does give a good target in the full forward line but I think it’s possible he could drop out to midfield.
[
]McVerry gets the nod ahead of Tony Kernan, thought Kernan would start as he is the best free taking option available to Armagh. I would expect Campbell to take all the right footed kicks and Clarke the left footed ones.
[/LIST]
I have a hunch Armagh will line-up as follows with McKeever acting as a sweeper:

--------------------McEvoy

Mallon-------------Donaghy------------Morgan

--------------------McKeever

Vernon--------------Findon-------------Shields

---------------Toner------ E. Rafferty

McVerry-------------Dyas------------C. Rafferty

-------------Clarke----------Campbell

Think that Armagh team have much more quality in their forward line while the defence are good enough to contain the Cavan forwards, therefore I’m going for a 4 point victory for Armagh.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 955679, member: 273”]He was. M. Fitz was more skillful.

inferior
ɪnˈfɪərɪə/
adjective
[LIST=1]
[*]1.
lower in rank, status, or quality.
“schooling in inner-city areas was inferior to that in the rest of the country”
synonyms:lower in status, lesser[/URL], second-class, second-fiddle, [URL=‘https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=define+minor&sa=X&ei=PeKQU-OlHof3kAWv3oDQCA&ved=0CCMQ_SowAA’]minor[/URL],[URL=‘https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=define+subservient&sa=X&ei=PeKQU-OlHof3kAWv3oDQCA&ved=0CCQQ_SowAA’]subservient[/URL], [URL=‘https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=define+lowly&sa=X&ei=PeKQU-OlHof3kAWv3oDQCA&ved=0CCUQ_SowAA’]lowly[/URL], [URL=‘https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=define+humble&sa=X&ei=PeKQU-OlHof3kAWv3oDQCA&ved=0CCYQ_SowAA’]humble[/URL],[URL=‘https://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=define+menial&sa=X&ei=PeKQU-OlHof3kAWv3oDQCA&ved=0CCcQ_SowAA’]menial, not very important, not so important, below someone,beneath someone, under someone’s heel; More
[/LIST]
[/QUOTE]

Then make your case on that, you were throwing in things like consistency and doing things under pressure when I don’t think anybody stated McDonald had a better career than Fitzgerald or was a better player but I do think he was a player who had a very similar skill level to that Fitzgerald had and the way you have looked to cut down McDonald in order to put Fitzgerald up on a pedestal gives me the opinion that you either don’t fully appreciate how talented McDonald was or won’t because it doesn’t fit in with earlier rash comments you made.

Bandying terms about it being “hilarious” saying Ciaran McDonald was comparable to Fitzgerald in ability or that “nobody had near” Fitzgerald’s skill level were ignorant comments and once again you have taken a dishonest path in trying to justify what you said rather than admitting you may be wrong. You always like to discredit people on how little games they attended or saw? How many times did you see Ciaran McDonald first hand in action?

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 955789, member: 2533”]Then make your case on that, you were throwing in things like consistency and doing things under pressure when I don’t think anybody stated McDonald had a better career than Fitzgerald or was a better player but I do think he was a player who had a very similar skill level to that Fitzgerald had and the way you have looked to cut down McDonald in order to put Fitzgerald up on a pedestal gives me the opinion that you either don’t fully appreciate how talented McDonald was or won’t because it doesn’t fit in with earlier rash comments you made.

Bandying terms about it being “hilarious” saying Ciaran McDonald was comparable to Fitzgerald in ability or that “nobody had near” Fitzgerald’s skill level were ignorant comments and once again you have taken a dishonest path in trying to justify what you said rather than admitting you may be wrong. You always like to discredit people on how little games they attended or saw? How many times did you see Ciaran McDonald first hand in action?[/QUOTE]
Probably 5 or 6 and I played against him.
He is one of my favorite players of all time, so I’m not taking him down at all.
But basic skills of Gaelic football are catching, kicking, soloing, tackling and athleticism. An extension of this is shooting and passing. I’ll leave out hand passing.
Maurice Fitz was superb in the air, Ciaran Mac didn’t have a real deficiency there, but still not in same league.
Maurice Fitz was supremely two footed, Ciaran Mac was not.
Maurice Fitz routinely soloed with both feet, often changing mid move. Now again I don’t think Ciaran Mac had a deficiency but I don’t remember him being as fluid or as two footed.
Don’t think either was a great tackler but in fairness McFonald certainly got better as time went on, so arguably he’d get that nod.
For shooting it’s not even a discussion. Again being two footed makes you more than twice as dangerous. Obviously we don’t have the stats, but I’m very confident from memory that M. Fitz’s strike rate would be significantly better.
Passing would be Ciaran Mac based on the body of work he would have got thru out the field. However I have seen M. Fitz play quite a bit at midfield and his play is off the charts, passing, fielding, everything. However that was mostly at club. I do remember him playing a bit out there with Kerry when they were very weak around there before the arrival of Daragh O Se and others. It is impossible for me to prove almost, but I would say Fitz is better here as well, but only just.
Athleticism would have to go to McDonald, mostly cos he used his while Maurice didn’t as much, but he was also still a freakish athlete.

I think there is quite a gap over all. But then again M. Fitz is a mile ahead of most if not all in my opinion.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 955820, member: 273”]Probably 5 or 6 and I played against him.
He is one of my favorite players of all time, so I’m not taking him down at all.
But basic skills of Gaelic football are catching, kicking, soloing, tackling and athleticism. An extension of this is shooting and passing. I’ll leave out hand passing.
Maurice Fitz was superb in the air, Ciaran Mac didn’t have a real deficiency there, but still not in same league.
Maurice Fitz was supremely two footed, Ciaran Mac was not.
Maurice Fitz routinely soloed with both feet, often changing mid move. Now again I don’t think Ciaran Mac had a deficiency but I don’t remember him being as fluid or as two footed.
Don’t think either was a great tackler but in fairness McFonald certainly got better as time went on, so arguably he’d get that nod.
For shooting it’s not even a discussion. Again being two footed makes you more than twice as dangerous. Obviously we don’t have the stats, but I’m very confident from memory that M. Fitz’s strike rate would be significantly better.
Passing would be Ciaran Mac based on the body of work he would have got thru out the field. However I have seen M. Fitz play quite a bit at midfield and his play is off the charts, passing, fielding, everything. However that was mostly at club. I do remember him playing a bit out there with Kerry when they were very weak around there before the arrival of Daragh O Se and others. It is impossible for me to prove almost, but I would say Fitz is better here as well, but only just.
Athleticism would have to go to McDonald, mostly cos he used his while Maurice didn’t as much, but he was also still a freakish athlete.

I think there is quite a gap over all. But then again M. Fitz is a mile ahead of most if not all in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

So basically Fitzgerald was better in the air and two footed but apart from that McDonald shades the rest? That’s what that reads like to me - hardly such a hilarious comparison so. To say Fitzgerald was a mile ahead of most if not all, is a bit daft again.

No, Fitzgerald is better in almost all departments. And seeing as he is significantly better at kicking and shooting and they are both forwards and both play FOOTball I think it makes it significant.

Your ignorance is what’s hilarious now.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 955842, member: 273”]No, Fitzgerald is better in almost all departments. And seeing as he is significantly better at kicking and shooting and they are both forwards and both play FOOTball I think it makes it significant.

Your ignorance is what’s hilarious now.[/QUOTE]

Kicking, you pretty much acknowledged that McDonald was a better passer only to counteract that with by what your own admission seemed to be a flimsy reasoning that Fitzgerald may have been better. For once in your life you should try and get your argument straight rather than having contradictory points propping up all over the place.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 955407, member: 24”]So is Messi’s.

What’s your point?[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ…the point is rudi said he had the same skills as Maurice Fitzgerald…he clearly didn’t…as one of Fitzgeralds skills was being able to kick equally well off either foot…Macdonald couldn’t…ergo he didn’t have the same skill…now a few of you idiots have gone off mentioning Messi and Maradona which is utterly brain dead as the discussion was comparing Maurice Fitzgerald skills with Ciaran Macdonald !! …idiots !!:smiley: but at least you two are consistent I suppose…

@Bisto

What’s dumb about saying Maradona’s right foot was for standing on? I remember reading some time ago that of the 300+ career goals he scored, only 6 came from his right foot, not sure of the veracity of that statistic but would you hold the same criteria for defining a great player for Maradona?

I didn’t say he had the same skills as McDonald, I said he was comparable in terms of skill. You seemed to be suggesting that McDonald couldn’t be skilled as he only used one foot. Do you use the same criteria for determining other players skill levels? In that case, are you an idiot?

:smiley:
You’ve outdone yourself here. You don’t even know what the word skill means.
Fucking soccer ball fans :rolleyes:

You’ve outdone yourself here. You don’t even know what the word skill means.
Fucking soccer ball fans :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I do. You seemed to be having problems with it earlier when you were waffling on about pressure and consistency though.

You pulled McDonald up skill wise on the grounds that he only had a left foot. I pointed out that the greatest soccer player in the world only has a left foot as well. You have yet to provide anything to explain that contradiction.

And no amount of dumb ratings or ‘idiots’ will change that.

:eek:
just quit pal…you are making a total fool of yourself…:D:D

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 955870, member: 24”]You pulled McDonald up skill wise on the grounds that he only had a left foot. I pointed out that the greatest soccer player in the world only has a left foot as well. You have yet to provide anything to explain that contradiction.

And no amount of dumb ratings or ‘idiots’ will change that.[/QUOTE]

seriously !!..Mcdonald was being compared with Fitzgerald…what the fuck has maradona or Messi got to do with that ???..

just quit pal…you are making a total fool of yourself…:D:D[/QUOTE]

I see you avoided the question again. I’ll ask it again so. Do you use the same criteria when it comes to judging Maradona’s skill or is your argument flawed?

Your insistence that players who are predominantly one-footed can’t be skilled.

@Bisto

Who is the better player - Messi or Ronaldo?