All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

I would deem them to be quite pertinent. Straightforward questions that require straightforward answers, they don’t take up time or effort. You can talk all you like about them being ridiculous or not but that’s all you seem to offer. You have taken the Kevin route of telling people they wouldn’t know much but you generally don’t rationalise your thoughts. For instance earlier on you told us (and I’ll paraphrase here) that you could have the Dublin hurling team well before it was released within 5 minutes, this was to support a point you were making. I challenged you on that and you have me some spiel about how you wouldn’t tell me anyway. I couldn’t care really, all I wanted to suss was what sound like bluster that was meant to impress us was actually such and so far your inability to back up your claim proves otherwise.

Most debates here with Kevin have been the likes of Rocko, Sidney and myself giving our opinions which have been supported by rationalised arguments, stats and general opinions and observations. Kevin likes to let us know what we are clueless and he is an expert but there are so many contradictions in his viewpoints it is very hard to take him seriously and extremely easy to poke holes in his arguments. Kevin then has a habit of namechecking individuals to verify that he is correct, he also likes to ignore the various contradictions in his posts when they are pointed out to him and he likes to tell us that we all know nothing about the game. I have seen a lot of Kevin’s predictions and insights of the game over the past year or so and he tends to get it very badly wrong an awful lot of the time. He also tends to pretend this never happened and continue to tell us we are wrong and he is right.

You just have to look at the post I put up a few pages back where he castigates me for talking about potential and basing my argument on names on paper. A week later he is basing his argument on Cork being Dublin’s closest challenger on the exact same logic. He’s all over the place and he doesn’t seem to know what he is talking about when he is contradicting himself every few days. But then you’ll tell us he is above questioning?

You trust to believe him, I don’t think his word is very credible round here.

So, kev’s not backing down, despite the amount of times he’s been proven wrong over the past dozen pages or so, is that what we’ve all learnt? Great. Moving on, shocking scenes here

[SIZE=5]Flag carrier blames McKeever for melee[/SIZE]

The woman who was carrying the Cavan flag at the Athletic Grounds on Sunday has pointed the finger of blame in the direction of Armagh captain Ciaran McKeever.

Ballyconnell native Paula Brady, a member of the St Michael’s Band, Enniskillen, gave her version of accounts to the Anglo Celt newspaper and she accused McKeever and his team-mates of instigating the unsightly melee.

"The Armagh captain came up and said ‘Move’. I said ‘pardon?’ and he said ‘Move to f**k to the other side’ … If he had asked me politely, I’d have said ‘certainly, no problem’.

“It has happened before, we just go with the flow.”

Ms Brady - who also revealed that the woman carrying the Armagh flag was an aunt of an Orchard County player - added: "The Cavan team were supposed to be behind the Cavan flag and they came to where they were supposed to be.

“Armagh weren’t for moving and that’s when the shuffling started.”

She believes McKeever should get his “knuckles rapped”.

“I think he should be spoken to. We have a great affiliation to the Armagh team, they share picnics with us at matches in Clones and it is a lovely rapport. That was spoiled on Sunday.”

Great stuff from Keezer.

That poor lady, what about her picnics pal? What about them?

It’s a tragedy, of her own doing. In the meantime I’d like to dedicate this one to Ciaran McKeever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iOpUdsMeqM

[QUOTE=“myboyblue, post: 959963, member: 180”]So, kev’s not backing down, despite the amount of times he’s been proven wrong over the past dozen pages or so, is that what we’ve all learnt? Great. Moving on, shocking scenes here

The woman who was carrying the Cavan flag at the Athletic Grounds on Sunday has pointed the finger of blame in the direction of Armagh captain Ciaran McKeever.

Ballyconnell native Paula Brady, a member of the St Michael’s Band, Enniskillen, gave her version of accounts to the Anglo Celt newspaper and she accused McKeever and his team-mates of instigating the unsightly melee.

"The Armagh captain came up and said ‘Move’. I said ‘pardon?’ and he said ‘Move to f**k to the other side’ … If he had asked me politely, I’d have said ‘certainly, no problem’.

Ms Brady - who also revealed that the woman carrying the Armagh flag was an aunt of an Orchard County player - added: "The Cavan team were supposed to be behind the Cavan flag and they came to where they were supposed to be.

“I think he should be spoken to. We have a great affiliation to the Armagh team, they share picnics with us at matches in Clones and it is a lovely rapport. That was spoiled on Sunday.”[/QUOTE]

McKeever taking himself a bit too seriously. It’s a big cultural difference.
Lucky he didn’t punch a mascot’s lights out I suppose.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 959970, member: 2272”]McKeever taking himself a bit too seriously. It’s a big cultural difference.
Lucky he didn’t punch a mascot’s lights out I suppose.[/QUOTE]
He’s some crack McKeever I’d say, a real mad bastard for the laugh.

Himself and McGeeney engaged in psychological warfare as to who gets the prime seat in the dressing room.

[QUOTE=“Spidey, post: 959837, member: 289”]Kev, Dublin’s bench scored 0-9 fairly evenly spread between 4 of them on Sunday and McMenamin also set up the first goal with a lovely bit of skill. The same subs have been instrumental in last year’s championship and this year’s league in winning games for Dublin when it comes down to the wire in the last ten minutes and Dublin win going away. I still don’t know how you can’t see this.

Also speaking to one of the backroom team recently they actually have a defined impact sub list per game as part of their plans. I previously referenced Jack McCaffrey as filling
one of the roles this year. Ergo their bench is expected to have a serious impact on the match and their role is defined on what they are expected to do to change the game.[/QUOTE]
No doubt. Where did I say anything contray that?
All teams plan for their subs to have an impact these days. And the way Dublin team tire and they can then come on and pretty easily punish tired teams.
I never argued that. Rocko got up on his high horse cos I pulled him on his over the top description of the subs. It’s tht simple. It has led to him to question every single thing I have said on football in 3 years, which I think reflects more on him than me.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 959951, member: 2533”]I would deem them to be quite pertinent. Straightforward questions that require straightforward answers, they don’t take up time or effort. You can talk all you like about them being ridiculous or not but that’s all you seem to offer. You have taken the Kevin route of telling people they wouldn’t know much but you generally don’t rationalise your thoughts. For instance earlier on you told us (and I’ll paraphrase here) that you could have the Dublin hurling team well before it was released within 5 minutes, this was to support a point you were making. I challenged you on that and you have me some spiel about how you wouldn’t tell me anyway.
.[/QUOTE]

this is madness … i did answer it…i said ask @Bandage did i give him the team before it was released last year…There is proof straight away , a perfect example, but you choose to ignore it…and as I’ve explained i used it as an example to show easily available the information is, seeing as I have no direct link to Dublin team…but you can’t get your head around this… you seem to think I’m boasting about having inside info when the whole point is its not…:smiley:

and for your other bullshit…I had the original argument with @caoimhain about Dublin midfield that @Rocko is currently having, last july…i also argued that Donegal would not win All Ireland last year with him when others here were saying they were an unstoppable force…but he’s been right about other aspects of the game…
you can check that instead of just everything that suits you…

why do you persist pulling @caoimhaoin up on everything …you just said you know exactly what he’s like so why do you feel the need to catch him out for it ?..either accept the way he posts or don’t read them…but these constant search for moral victories is pathetic…

mcguinness is a coach…and a sports psychologist too…I would have thought the first rule of coaching is not to openly doubt yourself…because if you are seen to, your players won’t believe in what you are doing…IMHO i think Mcguinness might have seen how a few players had to go for operations in the off season might have been down to they were over trained and their bodies couldn’t cope…so now they are older and already broke down physically before, training needs to eb tailored towards that not re occurring …

Jim McGuinness admits he had to reverse his training methods to cut out the number of injuries which plagued Donegal’s 2013 campaign.

The Donegal boss masterminded a 1-11 to 0-11 win over Derry last Sunday week to kick-start their championship on a positive note.

“We took a different approach this year,” McGuinness said at his half-term report to Donegal county committee on Tuesday night.

"For the last couple of years we worked very hard at the beginning of the year and would have started off on high intensity levels and would have tried to build endurance in the weeks and months leading into championship. We have flipped that this year and taken a different approach to the training.

"We are looking at a more long-term approach now. The key reason behind that was the number of players we had injured last year and trying to bring them with us this year. We figured that if we worked very hard early in the season that we would put them under pressure.

“We were working towards getting it right for the Derry game. It also hopefully means that we’re still progressing and still building towards peaking at the height of the summer, which hopefully will stand us in good stead.”

Meanwhile, Ian Kilbride replaces the injured David Keenan in the sole change to the Roscommon team for their Connacht semi-final against Mayo.

Keenan lined out at centre-back in Roscommon’s quarter-final win over Leitrim, but has since picked up a hamstring injury. Kilbride has been handed the No 5 shirt, with Niall Daly anchoring the defence.

Eleven of the Roscommon team were involved in last year’s semi-final hammering by Mayo and there is again no place for any member of the county’s U21.

Aidan O’Rourke has made two changes to the Louth team which overcame Westmeath for Sunday’s clash against Kildare. Patrick Reilly and Brian Donnelly have been given the nod at the expense of Gary O’Hare and Shane Lennon.

Shane O’Sullivan returns to the Waterford team for Sunday’s replay against Cork.

O’Sullivan missed the drawn game through suspension, replacing the injured Eddie Barrett at midfield. Shane Fives comes in for Barry Coughlan at wing-back.

ROSCOMMON (SFC v Mayo): D O’Malley; S McDermott, N Carty, N Collins; I Kilbride, N Daly, C Cafferkey; C Shine, K Higgins; D O’Gara, D Shine, R Stack; S Kilbride, C Cregg, C Murtagh.

WATERFORD (SFC v Clare): S Enright; D Crowley, T O’Gorman, M O’Gorman; C Phelan, S Briggs, O Keevers; S Ahern, T Prendergast; M O’Gorman, L O Lonáin, T O hUallacháin; B Wall, P Whyte, JJ Hutchinson.

LOUTH (SFC v Kildare): N Gallagher; P Rath, D Finnegan, J O’Brien; P R, D Crilly, A Reid; P Keenan, B Donnelly; A McDonnell, B White, D Maguire; D Byrne, C Grimes, M Fanning.

WATERFORD (SHC v Cork): S O’Keefe; T de Burca, L Lawlor, N Connors; J Nagle, M Walsh, S Fives; S O’Sullivan, K Moran; C Dunford, J Dillon, P Mahony; S Walsh, B O’Sullivan, A Gleeson.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, June 05, 2014
[SIZE=5]FOLLOW THE IRISH EXAMINER[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APPS[/SIZE]
LIVE NEWS[/URL] [URL=‘http://www.irishexaminer.com/epaper/’]EPAPER

AVAILABLE ON

Hide this message
[SIZE=5]IMPORTANT INFORMATION[/SIZE]
Our website uses cookies, as almost all websites do, to help provide you with the best experience we can. By continuing to use this website you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our Policy.

<<
Select Date: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember2002200320042005200620072008200920102011201220132014

May, 2014
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
June, 2014
SuMoTuWeThFrSa

Group »		 Irish Examiner		 Evening Echo		 BreakingNews.ie		 RecruitIreland.com		 Roscommon Herald		 Western People		 Carlow Nationalist		 Kildare Nationalist		 Laois Nationalist		 Gorey Echo		 New Ross Echo		 Enniscorthy Echo		 Wexford Echo		 Waterford News		 WLR FM		 Beat 102-103	   

http://www.irishexaminer.com/assets/images/layout/f-logo1.png[/URL][URL=‘http://www.presscouncil.ie/’]http://www.irishexaminer.com/assets/images/layout/f-logo2.png
NEWS
[LIST]
[]Breaking News
[
]Today´s Paper
[]World
[
]Farming
[]Technology
[
]Weather
[]Family Notices
[
]Archives
[]Titanic 100
[
]Referendum 2013
[/LIST]
SPORT
[LIST]
[]Soccer
[
]Podcast
[]Columnists
[
]GAA
[]Rugby
[
]Golf
[]Racing
[
]Other Sport
[]Results
[/LIST]
BUSINESS
[LIST]
[
]Breaking Business News
[]Business Features
[
]Getting Ahead
[]The Small Business Show
[
]Budget
[/LIST]
VIEWPOINTS
[LIST]
[]Our view (editorial)
[
]Your view (letters)
[]Send letter to letter page
[
]Columnists
[]Books
[
]Book Store
[/LIST]
PROPERTY
[LIST]
[]News
[
]House of the Week
[]Cover Story
[
]Commercial
[]Starter Homes
[
]Trading Up
[]Features
[
]Property Search
[/LIST]
LIFESTYLE
[LIST]
[]Showbiz
[
]Fashion & Beauty
[]Food & Drink
[
]Health & Life
[]Home & Gardens
[
]Travel
[]Arts, Film & TV
[
]Features
[/LIST]
HELP
[LIST]
[]FAQ
[
]Contact Us
[]Media Pack
[
]Privacy Policy
[]Cookie Policy
[
]Mobile
[]Subscriptions
[
]Terms and Conditions
[]NNI
[
]ePaper
[]Postal Delivery
[
]Competitions
[*]RSS
[/LIST]
© Irish Examiner Ltd, Linn Dubh, Assumption Road, Blackpool, Cork. Registered in Ireland: 523712.

He’s like Geezers mini me, only without the talent and the winning personality.

[QUOTE=“myboyblue, post: 959963, member: 180”]So, kev’s not backing down, despite the amount of times he’s been proven wrong over the past dozen pages or so, is that what we’ve all learnt? Great. Moving on, shocking scenes here

“I think he should be spoken to. We have a great affiliation to the Armagh team, they share picnics with us at matches in Clones and it is a lovely rapport. That was spoiled on Sunday.”[/QUOTE]

McKeever sounds like an orange Martin Johnson, sorry a Martin Johnson.

[QUOTE=“scumpot, post: 959986, member: 182”]this is madness … i did answer it…i said ask @Bandage did i give him the team before it was released last year…There is proof straight away , a perfect example, but you choose to ignore it…and as I’ve explained i used it as an example to show easily available the information is, seeing as I have no direct link to Dublin team…but you can’t get your head around this… you seem to think I’m boasting about having inside info when the whole point is its not…:smiley:

and for your other bullshit…I had the original argument with @caoimhain about Dublin midfield that @Rocko is currently having, last july…i also argued that Donegal would not win All Ireland last year with him when others here were saying they were an unstoppable force…but he’s been right about other aspects of the game…
you can check that instead of just everything that suits you…

why do you persist pulling @caoimhaoin up on everything …you just said you know exactly what he’s like so why do you feel the need to catch him out for it ?..either accept the way he posts or don’t read them…but these constant search for moral victories is pathetic…

mcguinness is a coach…and a sports psychologist too…I would have thought the first rule of coaching is not to openly doubt yourself…because if you are seen to, your players won’t believe in what you are doing…IMHO i think Mcguinness might have seen how a few players had to go for operations in the off season might have been down to they were over trained and their bodies couldn’t cope…so now they are older and already broke down physically before, training needs to eb tailored towards that not re occurring …[/QUOTE]

That’s not proof, pal. You said you could have the team for Saturday’s game within 5 minutes. You haven’t provided that, now you can put up or shut up - it’s really that simple. Why do I feel the need to call Kevin out on everything? I don’t feel the need to call him out on everything, Kevin likes to tell us that we know nothing and that he is right when it’s not the case and if I have a basis to dispute that I will. I’ll post as I please, I will read whatever posts I like and respond to whatever posts I like. You seem to be getting very worked up about me challenging a few posters on things they said, if you’d like not to be exposed as a bluffer then the safest option would be not to bluff. It’s ironic that you tell me I should alter my posting style in order to accept Kevin’s. Kevin is big enough to look after himself, he’s big enough to tell everyone they know nothing or that they don’t understand but there is a huge body of evidence that shows Kevin’s arguments are conflicted and based on convenient anecdotal tales which he seems to ignore or avoid.

As for McGuinness and Donegal, that’s your opinion but McGuinness didn’t say what Kevin said he did. Nowhere can I see McGuinness saying his training methods caused injuries.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 959947, member: 1”]As @The Scouse Cafu has said, that isn’t really what anyone is debating. Nobody is saying McGuinness doesn’t or hasn’t changed anything. Rather Kevin is saying that McGuinness changed nothing until this year and that he admitted this year that he did so because of injuries. Kev has gone a step further and said what he did until now is unscientific. We’re supposed to treat Kev as somehow being more qualified than McGuinness.

McGuinness mentioned injuries but didn’t blame training for them. Are people really incapable of reading his quotes properly?[/QUOTE]
You are the one incapable of reading fella. He clearly says last couple of years. They have completely reversed their training.
The fact that he says this
“We took a different approach this year,” shows a clear move away from last couple of years.
This one is key
""We are looking at a more long-term approach now. The key reason behind that was the number of players we had injured last year and trying to bring them with us this year. We figured that if we worked very hard early in the season that we would put them under pressure. "
No decent coach/conditioner/psychologist should take anything but a long term view in terms of Conditioning, development and training. Hence my view of it being less scientific than I thought. It’s called LTPD, I studied it, Jimmy would have, it’s part of UEFA coaching badges, IRFU etc, etc. it’s LONG TERM PLAYER DEVELOPMENT.
I have a feeling Jimmy has picked up a few things at Celtic and adjusting accordingly. I applaud him for that, every day is a school day.

It’s mind boggling how you can’t see it. But you are talking about something you clearly haven’t a notion about.

McKeever captained Armagh to an All Ireland u-21 title.

And?

He’s a winner.

He comes across as an arsehole in that article.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 960005, member: 273”]You are the one incapable of reading fella. He clearly says last couple of years. They have completely reversed their training.
The fact that he says this
“We took a different approach this year,” shows a clear move away from last couple of years.
This one is key
""We are looking at a more long-term approach now. The key reason behind that was the number of players we had injured last year and trying to bring them with us this year. We figured that if we worked very hard early in the season that we would put them under pressure. "
No decent coach/conditioner/psychologist should take anything but a long term view in terms of Conditioning, development and training. Hence my view of it being less scientific than I thought. It’s called LTPD, I studied it, Jimmy would have, it’s part of UEFA coaching badges, IRFU etc, etc. it’s LONG TERM PLAYER DEVELOPMENT.
I have a feeling Jimmy has picked up a few things at Celtic and adjusting accordingly. I applaud him for that, every day is a school day.

It’s mind boggling how you can’t see it. But you are talking about something you clearly haven’t a notion about.[/QUOTE]

Where did Rocko say that McGuinness didn’t change his training methods? You seem to be arguing something that hasn’t been brought up for discussion?