All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

Kev,

To take the argument back to the start.

@Rocko said that Dublin had a great/incredible/whatever set of forwards who were not on the team.

You said he was exaggerating.

Some of that bunch of forwards went on to score 0-9 between them when introduced on Sunday.

What do you have to say about that?

Apologies if you have already addressed it as I get lost in some of those paragraphs which the two of you are using.

Sniffing glue to get a performance boost. Can be at any level.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 960132, member: 1”]I think you think this means “we injured those players last year.” In a sort of humane way. Like the way a farmer might talk about stray dogs - “we had them put down.”

To be patronising out of necessity: that is not what the above sentence means. It means there were players injured last year and therefore they can’t train as hard this year. It doesn’t mean that their injuries were caused by last year’s training.

To repeat once again: nobody is arguing that Donegal didn’t change anything. What has long term player development got to do with anything? McGuinness has said they adjusted their training to cater for players coming back from injury. That doesn’t mean they have just discovered long term player development, it doesn’t mean that they didn’t have a long term view before now, it doesn’t mean that they injured players in the past through over or under-training or lack of infrared training. It just means they adjusted training this year.

It’s mind boggling how poor your comprehension skills are.[/QUOTE]
Listen Rocko you’re unable to understand it. Let it go. Everyone of any understanding gets what I pointed out, you don’t. Fair enough, I don’t get complex tax laws. Stick to what you know

Kevin begging for mercy here.

Right - be deliberately evasive.

Anyway, we all know analysts out there who we think talk complete shite. Some of them are highly decorated as players, as managers and as both. Yet they talk what is for all intents and purposes - shite.

Should we be like Bertie and sign a blank cheque for them to go away and say what they want without them even being questioned?

By the way, this is addressing your point with regard to some people being able to call a game just by watching and not being wrapped up in stats.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 959979, member: 273”]No doubt. Where did I say anything contray that?
All teams plan for their subs to have an impact these days. And the way Dublin team tire and they can then come on and pretty easily punish tired teams.
I never argued that. Rocko got up on his high horse cos I pulled him on his over the top description of the subs. It’s tht simple. It has led to him to question every single thing I have said on football in 3 years, which I think reflects more on him than me.[/QUOTE]

Last year Dublin had Dean Rock and Kevin McManamon on the bench in most games. Their collective contribution from that role was pretty much unprecedented.
McManamon has been at this for a number of years and is famously influential from the bench. You may be familiar with this. Dean Rock was also a phenomenon last year from the bench. You might recall his performances because you were calling for him to start instead of Connolly.

All in all, that was a pretty special bench.

Since then Mannion has been added/dropped to that bench (who you concede would start for any other team in the country) and Costelloe (who you haven’t really seen) has been added to the mix.

But they don’t live up to Cork! :smiley:

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 960142, member: 24”]Right - be deliberately evasive.

Anyway, we all know analysts out there who we think talk complete shite. Some of them are highly decorated as players, as managers and as both. Yet they talk what is for all intents and purposes - shite.

Should we be like Bertie and sign a blank cheque for them to go away and say what they want without them even being questioned?

By the way, this is addressing your point with regard to some people being able to call a game just by watching and not being wrapped up in stats.[/QUOTE]

its actually not evasive…if something comes naturally to one person to do while another person have to sacrifice their whole life to be at the same level do you really think both them have the same value on that???..of course they don’t…there’s guys playing intermediate club football for their parish who would have the same dedication as inter county footballers…do they still think they are playing a high level??..of course they do…

my point about experience is that they offer a different insight as they have been there…you are right …some of them are shite and some are good…but as far as coaching a team goes I would listen to someone who has done it or been around teams at a high level over someone who hasn’t and wasn’t involved in high level teams…

regards watching with the eye over stats I didn’t say either called the game better you clown…i said they have different ways of analyzing it! I didn’t say one was better than the other…but when the two can’t acknowledge the other one is where the problem lies!!.its tunnel vision arguing

I can’t believe I actually have to explain the last point again when I made it so objectively in the original post…fuckin hell…:mad:

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 960137, member: 24”]Kev,

To take the argument back to the start.

@Rocko said that Dublin had a great/incredible/whatever set of forwards who were not on the team.

You said he was exaggerating.

Some of that bunch of forwards went on to score 0-9 between them when introduced on Sunday.

What do you have to say about that?

Apologies if you have already addressed it as I get lost in some of those paragraphs which the two of you are using.[/QUOTE]
Multiple times. In a crude way.
Dublin attack attack attack. They are willing to give up scores early in a shoot out because they know they have great athleticism both on and off the field.
They wear teams down.
They bring on quick subs after half time.
They supplement this with accurate forwards after.
But at the end of games opposition
are bollixed, these subs get themselves into position and pick up some handy scores.

But I will hold my view on Costello till he starts consistently. He is a lively footballer, but doing it every game like Gooch or the likes is what an incredible player does.
Rock and Macmanaman have both flattered to deceive when started in the past. I think that early in Games good backs are able to stay with them and frustrate them and maybe a drip if confidence comes with that.

Mannion is easily the best overall package at this point (on the bench) and I’m confused as to why he is not starting. Sheer class.

I don’t rate Cullen anymore at this level, he has been too ineffective too many times.

If Dublin lost Brogan and Connolly to injury and you have Mannion starting already and you bring in McManaman and Rock to start I think straight away you make O Gara look poor and you won’t get enough out of McManaman from the start. The strength of your bench is most relevant to losing players IMO.
It’s fantastic for Dublin to bring on either fast or accurate forwards when the donkey work is done, but will these lads do the donkey work if needed? Without writing them off there are question marks.

I’m not saying this cos I’m from Cork, but if Kerrigan and Hurley get injured you are bringing in Donnacha O Connor, Goulding or Paddy Kelly. All 3 could start a game and change a game.

This is not me saying Cork are a better team, it’s purely in the context of forward subs. Cork are at worst compare able.

Why does everything have to come back to tax laws or Brian Hurley?

Take 5 minutes for yourself. Try and forget what you think you read. Have a look at the quotes again. Read them properly. Look up any words you don’t understand or ask us here. Have someone read it aloud to you if that helps. I’m sure you know someone who looks in here from time to time. Form a fresh opinion on what McGuinness said. Come back on here and reply to this thread and apologise for wasting everyone’s time.

Is there a points system we can set up to weight posters’ comments?

ie
5 points if you know somebody who knows the mobile phone number of an inter-county footballer
10 if you know the phone number of an inter-county footballer
15 if you’ve played club football to a high level*
20 if you’ve played inter-county football
30 points for each All-Ireland medal you have
100 points if you have done a course on Long Term Player Development

Style marks to be awarded for each comment and multiplied by the number of points each poster has.

Under this system Pat Spillane can talk absolute shite, but because he has eight All-Ireland medals his comments will still be weighted higher than somebody who hasn’t played inter-county football. Whey protein-ahey.

*what that is has not as yet been determined

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 960149, member: 1”]Why does everything have to come back to tax laws or Brian Hurley?

Take 5 minutes for yourself. Try and forget what you think you read. Have a look at the quotes again. Read them properly. Look up any words you don’t understand or ask us here. Have someone read it aloud to you if that helps. I’m sure you know someone who looks in here from time to time. Form a fresh opinion on what McGuinness said. Come back on here and reply to this thread and apologise for wasting everyone’s time.[/QUOTE]
You mean get me out of this embarrassing position I have put myself in so I won’t get as bad a slagging when I meet the lads in the pub on Friday?
Fuck off you arrogant cunt. Are you the son of a cop and school teacher combo by any chance? You act like one.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 960148, member: 273”]Multiple times. In a crude way.
Dublin attack attack attack. They are willing to give up scores early in a shoot out because they know they have great athleticism both on and off the field.
They wear teams down.
They bring on quick subs after half time.
They supplement this with accurate forwards after.
But at the end of games opposition
are bollixed, these subs get themselves into position and pick up some handy scores.

But I will hold my view on Costello till he starts consistently. He is a lively footballer, but doing it every game like Gooch or the likes is what an incredible player does.
Rock and Macmanaman have both flattered to deceive when started in the past. I think that early in Games good backs are able to stay with them and frustrate them and maybe a drip if confidence comes with that.

Mannion is easily the best overall package at this point (on the bench) and I’m confused as to why he is not starting. Sheer class.

I don’t rate Cullen anymore at this level, he has been too ineffective too many times.

If Dublin lost Brogan and Connolly to injury and you have Mannion starting already and you bring in McManaman and Rock to start I think straight away you make O Gara look poor and you won’t get enough out of McManaman from the start. The strength of your bench is most relevant to losing players IMO.
It’s fantastic for Dublin to bring on either fast or accurate forwards when the donkey work is done, but will these lads do the donkey work if needed? Without writing them off there are question marks.

I’m not saying this cos I’m from Cork, but if Kerrigan and Hurley get injured you are bringing in Donnacha O Connor, Goulding or Paddy Kelly. All 3 could start a game and change a game.

This is not me saying Cork are a better team, it’s purely in the context of forward subs. Cork are at worst compare able.[/QUOTE]
I love the way you can’t count Mannion as a sub in your argument because you wouldn’t have him as a sub.

[QUOTE=“Rocko, post: 960159, member: 1”]I love the way you can’t count Mannion as a sub in your argument because you wouldn’t have him as a sub.[/QUOTE]O Gara is not fit to lace his boots.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 960151, member: 273”]You mean get me out of this embarrassing position I have put myself in so I won’t get as bad a slagging when I meet the lads in the pub on Friday?
Fuck off you arrogant cunt. Are you the son of a cop and school teacher combo by any chance? You act like one.[/QUOTE]

“Here Nordie lad, read that.”
“Why?”
“It’s for an argument on the internet.”
“Where on the internet?”
“TFK”
“Ah yeah. I look in there from time to time.”
“So what do you think about the article?”
“It’s boring.”
“Look lads McGuinness is after admitting he had those lads injured.”
“Is he? God. Yeah he works them hard alright.”
“Yeah and you’d know. You’re a handy footballer from Donegal.”

Fucking simpleton.

So in assessing Dublin’s list of subs last weekend, you didn’t include Mannion (who was on the bench) because O’Gara (who was not on the bench) is worse? Wouldn’t that make the bench stronger Kev?

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 960151, member: 273”]You mean get me out of this embarrassing position I have put myself in so I won’t get as bad a slagging when I meet the lads in the pub on Friday?
Fuck off you arrogant cunt. Are you the son of a cop and school teacher combo by any chance? You act like one.[/QUOTE]

Whoa. Back the fuck up. Whats wrong with being a garda or a teacher?

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 960151, member: 273”]?

:D:D
you should get on to Subway about that combo kev!.. could be a winner - packed full of pork and salmon (of knowledge)…

When they copulate they spawn arrogant cunt kids.

Kev hates the fuzz…ever since they were downing shots at a lock in in his hometown while sensitive information for upcoming cases was floating round the local garda station in the floods…as for teachers, can you imagine kev being happy about not being the only voice of authority in a room??..

Garda + Teacher = Accountant.