All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

You’ll have something better than any prize, my respect.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/patience-a-virtue-for-corkrsquos-number-one-custodian-272368.html

Side A Predictions

Round 1

Derry vs Longford
Laois vs Fermanagh
Limerick vs London
Offaly vs Wicklow

I am predicting all 4 home teams to progress through where they will face beaten semi-finalists between Dublin-Wexford, Donegal-Antrim, Sligo-Galway and Cork-Tipperary. My round 2 predicted draw is:

Wexford vs Derry
Antrim vs Offaly
Limerick vs Sligo
Tipperary vs Laois

I predict Derry, Antrim, Sligo and Laois to progress where they will then face off with each other in round 3.

Derry vs Laois
Antrim vs Sligo

Here I expect Derry and Antrim to progress with the winners playing the provincial runners up in Munster and Connacht in round 4.

Derry vs Galway
Antrim vs Cork

The quarter final draw will see the provincial winners face the winners of the round 4 matches.

Kerry vs Derry
Mayo vs Cork

The semi final draw will see the two winners of the aforementioned quarter finals face each other.

Derry vs Mayo

The final will see Derry face the side who came through the other side of the draw in Monaghan. Monaghan will win the All Ireland after a replay.

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 963675, member: 332”]Galway and Antrim used to be straight into the semi/quarter finals and instead opted to go into Leinster in order to get more competitive games. So does that mean they were disadvantaged by having no competitive games??? :eek:

So the diverse spread of Ulster counties making the AI semi final shows how Ulster counties are suffering from the qualifiers how exactly?[/QUOTE]

I didn’t say Ulster counties suffered due to the qualifiers, I said they suffered due to the imbalance of the provincial championships and the qualifiers offered no sense of redress for this imbalance. I don’t think you can state the qualifiers are advantageous to any team or province over the other - it offers teams a second chance and if Ulster teams have taken advantage of this route then it’s because they are better teams.

The problem with system is in order to be guaranteed a last 12 place Cork and Kerry have to beat Tipperary and Clare respectively - two Division 4 teams. That is not the case for the Ulster sides who need to overcome some very tough games to get that far.

Look at Tyrone’s path in contrast, they needed to win games against Down, Monaghan and Armagh just to get to the same stage. Ulster is stacked with good teams where 5 or 6 of them are easily capable of making it to the last 4 in the All Ireland so I don’t think it’s fair on that basis that after they knock one another out in the provincials series they should be able to meet again so soon - certainly not for the first three rounds of the qualifiers.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 964420, member: 2533”]

The problem with system is in order to be guaranteed a last 12 place .[/QUOTE]

why not last 13 or last 11 or 10 pal?..:popcorn:

@caoimhaoin …when are Cork harder to stop?..when they get to last 14 or last 12??..I find them virtually unstoppable when they get to last 6…

I find we’re at our best when it’s last 6. Usually on the Saturday night of the August weekend when 2 of the 1/4’s finalists are out. We’re like a train then.

Scumpot and Kevin showing their lack of knowledge on the structure of the Championship here.

but I have noticed you do tend to suffer if the first 1/4 final is a draw…:smiley:

sorry pal…everyday is a school day…

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 964408, member: 2533”]Side A Predictions

Round 1

Derry vs Longford
Laois vs Fermanagh
Limerick vs London
Offaly vs Wicklow

I am predicting all 4 home teams to progress through
[/QUOTE]
The Offaly game is in Aughrim Bomber

The Kerry team is as follows:

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
  2. Paul Murphy Rathmore
  3. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
  4. Shane Enright Tarbert
  5. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
  6. Killian Young Renard
  7. Fionn Fitzgerald (Capt) Dr Crokes
  8. Anthony Maher Duagh
  9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
  10. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
  11. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
  12. Michael Geaney Dingle
  13. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
  14. Declan O’Sullivan Dromid Pearses
  15. Paul Geaney Dingle

Fir Ionaid:
16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
17. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
18. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes
19. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
20. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
21. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
22. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
23. Daithí Casey Dr Crokes
24. Paul O’Donoghue St Marys
25. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
26. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)

[QUOTE=“myboyblue, post: 964862, member: 180”]The Kerry team is as follows:

1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
  2. Paul Murphy Rathmore
  3. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
  4. Shane Enright Tarbert
  5. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
  6. Killian Young Renard
  7. Fionn Fitzgerald (Capt) Dr Crokes
  8. Anthony Maher Duagh
  9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
  10. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
  11. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
  12. Michael Geaney Dingle
  13. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
  14. Declan O’Sullivan Dromid Pearses
  15. Paul Geaney Dingle

Fir Ionaid:
16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
17. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
18. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes
19. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
20. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
21. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
22. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
23. Daithí Casey Dr Crokes
24. Paul O’Donoghue St Marys
25. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
26. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)[/QUOTE]
Surprised Barry John didn’t make it. The word is he is flying in training and challenge games.
O’Donoghue is a loss but they should win by 5/6 points.

[QUOTE=“Kid Curry, post: 964976, member: 1397”]Surprised Barry John didn’t make it. The word is he is flying in training and challenge games.
O’Donoghue is a loss but they should win by 5/6 points.[/QUOTE]
They don’t trust him.
Geaney & O Brien have impressed me at different times although at lower levels. Will be interesting to see how they go.
The backs are cak.

@kerry1891
Having thought about this, I this the weakest Kerry team since 1995 or the most unproven?
I reserve the right to be surprised by them and in the future appreciate their skills, but my inclination is that this Kerry side is weak and while JOD will improve it no end, they are vulnerable, maybe not to Clare but to a host of other teams this season.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 963699, member: 2533”]Monaghan have a better forward line than Donegal.

The point I’m making relates to the potential banana skins Cork, Kerry and to a lesser extent Mayo avoid due to the provincial systems. They are pretty much guaranteed a last 8 or last 12 spot without any effort, they don’t have the potential banana skins along the way like they could get by drawing teams like Tyrone, Down, Armagh/Monaghan or Meath/Kildare in the early rounds of the qualifiers which I think is very unfair. There is an imbalance in the provincial system and I think this should be negated in the qualifiers. As much as possible teams from the same provinces should be stopped from meeting each other until the last 12/quarter final stage. I also believe the seeding system in Munster is very unfair on the smaller counties.[/QUOTE]
Would it be better if the GAA just left the Northern Irish 6 teams in Ulster? You’re a different country so makes sense to put Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan in say Connacht?

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 965021, member: 273”]They don’t trust him.
Geaney & O Brien have impressed me at different times although at lower levels. Will be interesting to see how they go.
The backs are cak.

@kerry1891
Having thought about this, I this the weakest Kerry team since 1995 or the most unproven?
I reserve the right to be surprised by them and in the future appreciate their skills, but my inclination is that this Kerry side is weak and while JOD will improve it no end, they are vulnerable, maybe not to Clare but to a host of other teams this season.[/QUOTE]

Unproven surely, five of these lads have little or no championship experience.
O’Brien is an exciting talent. Looking forward to seeing him. The Tralee league result must be at the back of their minds though.
As you said, the backs are poor and couldn’t handle Hurley that day.
Cork should be raging hot favourites for Munster but Kerry have defied odds before.
This game won’t define their season but should be interesting all the same.

[QUOTE=“Kid Curry, post: 965110, member: 1397”]Unproven surely, five of these lads have little or no championship experience.
O’Brien is an exciting talent. Looking forward to seeing him. The Tralee league result must be at the back of their minds though.
Cork should be raging hot favourites for Munster but Kerry have defied odds before.
This game won’t define their season but should be interesting all the same.[/QUOTE]
Just clarifying, you realise they’re playing Clare on Sunday, not Cork right?

Oh and the reason 5 of them have little or no Championship experience is because 5 of them are debutants. Fitzmaurice has an unenviable job down there to try keep Kerry where their supporters believe they should be, ie the top table, but he’s working off a poorer base than of of the other top 5 teams are regards underage, etc. Taking Tomás O Sé, Paul Galvin and Colm Cooper out of the set up in the same season is a huge blow to any side, losing O Donoghue then as well is just pure bad luck. To say Tommy Walsh cant come back soon enough is an understatement.

Laois host Fermanagh on Sunday in O’Moore Park, a double header with the Minor semi final against Kilkenny. I imagine the Kilkenny fans will get there early to take in both games no doubt.

Laois seem to have held onto their full deck since the Dublin result, which is heartening, and also have Damien O’Connor back in the fold following his disciplining (a la Begley) prior to the Dublin game. I don’t foresee too many changes, Booth is back in contention but given how well Begley handled O Gara it’d be harsh to drop him. I’d love to see O’Leary moved out to the wing, but would be wary of breaking up the Strong, Attride, Begley partnership thats there at present. All in all, I think he’ll go with the same 15, especially with Timmons not being back fully fit yet.

A win over Fermangh, get on the road and a nice crowd to turn over Kilkenny then in the minor afterwards. And then pints. Lovely.

Stephen Cluxton will be seething if he loses his ballboys

[SIZE=6]Referee body warning on goal-hangers

http://www.hoganstand.com/Common/NewGallery/clarke%20wave.jpg
[/SIZE]

Referees and umpires have been told to be extra vigilant about the presence of team members and officials behind goals.

The reminder from the national referees committee comes in the wake of Conor Clarke’s presence behind Niall Morgan’s goal in last Sunday’s Ulster quarter-final between Tyrone and Monaghan.

Midfielder Clarke, who is out for the season with a serious cruciate injury, fed Clarke with a quick supply of ball for kick-outs. However, it led to confusion as at some stages two balls were entering the field.

Clarke had a verbal exchange with an Ulster Council official after he had waved his hands behind Morgan’s net seemingly as a means of distracting Kieran Hughes as he struck a penalty, which hit the post.

The issues of partisan ballboys was brought up earlier this year by Kerry manager Eamonn Fitzmaurice, who referenced Dublin’s slick operation.

He recalled of last year’s All-Ireland semi-final: “There are other factors — an interesting thing to watch out for is the ballboys: if Dublin are behind, there is one fella rolls (the ball back to the keeper) from one side and another from the other.

“Let’s say a Kerry back kicks it back to him to slow the game down, another ball comes straight in from the other side. Magic! If Dublin are ahead, you won’t see any ball.”

[QUOTE=“Kid Curry, post: 965110, member: 1397”]Unproven surely, five of these lads have little or no championship experience.
This game won’t define their season but should be interesting all the same.[/QUOTE]
Ya I used to think it was bollix but I think it’s really been proven in the last few years, Cork have to be at least 4-5 points a better team to actually beat them. The mental side was not killed stone dead like it should have in the last few years of Counihans reign.

Hurley was good, but it was the running of Kerrigan and the half backs that really hurt Kerry that day. Cork should win the Munster Final if they both get there, I’m not actually ruling out a surprise or even a double surprise. It’s unlikely but there is a slight vulnerability to both Cork and Kerry this week. Cork are indicating not playing the hurlers and Tipp are a fine side who if they got a good start you’d never know. Kerry have 5 new lads and Clare have 2 games played. Surprises are rarer than ever, but I’d be looking at the spreads at least if I was still betting. While only challenge games, Corks few recent games have not been overly impressive by all accounts. And IC teams due to playing relatively little games and virtually no club anymore do out a bit of emphasis on challenges now. You still don’t know how much experimenting they were doing, but Cork have definitely been disrupted, mostly due to hurling.

Kerry might be catching up on conditioning, but when a strong 6’4 is running at a strong 6’ there is only one winner. Size is a real issue at the back, mobility at midfield. By getting rid of Griffen, justifiably, they are now a tiny IC back line. Clare will be very well conditioned with Kissane, although it could be next year or after before that really shows.