All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 966328, member: 273”]Galvin best back in county championship for 3-4 years, AI 21 medal winner. He will lose out to Cadogan in time, but that doesn’t make him average. A very agressive defender, perfect to bring in late in games.
Hayes is class Turenne, that’s a rubbish statement. He put on too much muscle an got injured trying to fit into Counihans regime. Got pissed off with that and gave up. Perfect for modern game. He was exactly like Mannion at the same age.

Kelly will be excellent, made for it. Obviously we know nothing of O Rourke at half back only he is a superb ball carrier, has great speed and can score. One would think given time he is made for the role.
Barry O Driscoll has been playing further out for quite a while now.

However one, at a stretch 2, average players does not make it an average team.[/QUOTE]

Hayes is not class. Average at best.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/brudair-favours-two-tier-structure-272819.html

Good idea. Make league even more important.
Play provincials in May/early June as stand alone warm up competitions.
Start AIreland series in July with a break for clubs in between.
Finish by 2/3rd week in August.

He is.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967441, member: 273”]http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/brudair-favours-two-tier-structure-272819.html

Good idea. Make league even more important.
Play provincials in May/early June as stand alone warm up competitions.
Start AIreland series in July with a break for clubs in between.
Finish by 2/3rd week in August.[/QUOTE]
That way your most important competition lasts for six weeks out of 52. Great idea, lets do that.

Its only the most important to fans. There is a hell of alot else going on. If they don’t work around the club player soon the divide will become permanent.
The IC season would still go from Feb/Mar to August. The reall All Ireland is only 6-7 weeks now anyway if you go from 1/4’s on.Whats your problem? Is it i’m promoting it, or is it the idea. Think about it, cos i’m pretty sure you are going to contradict yourself.

[QUOTE=“Spidey, post: 967309, member: 289”]Kelly got absolutely arse raped in the League for Cork at centre back against Dublin. Stupid to persist with it.

Still, incredible set of forwards on the bench…[/QUOTE]

Just back from injury, we’ll see how he goes.

Appeals for Donaghy and Toner have been unsuccessful for Armagh and they will miss the semi-final against Monaghan along with Andy Mallon whose suspensions wasn’t appealed. Caolan Rafferty also looks set to miss the game. These are huge players for Armagh - Rafferty in particular and I can’t see them winning without them. If Armagh were at full strength next weekend I would give them an excellent chance.

Anyone recommend a pub in dublin that will be showing the Galway match with commentary, not the World Cup,this evening?

Possibly Sinnotts if you ask them.

Brogans on Dame Street, beside the Olympia.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967448, member: 273”]Its only the most important to fans. There is a hell of alot else going on. If they don’t work around the club player soon the divide will become permanent.
The IC season would still go from Feb/Mar to August. The reall All Ireland is only 6-7 weeks now anyway if you go from 1/4’s on.Whats your problem? Is it i’m promoting it, or is it the idea. Think about it, cos i’m pretty sure you are going to contradict yourself.[/QUOTE]
I couldn’t give a toss what you promote, Kevin. I’ve said this before and I’ll say what should be obvious again - the inter-county senior championships are by far the most important competitions in the GAA. Reducing the time window that they occupy from four months to six weeks would be the height of idiocy on the GAA’s part in terms of promotion and marketing, and anbody who doesn’t get that has no understanding of the business of sport.

You are wrong. There would be roughly the same amount if games, maybe a week or two shorter season.

The All Ireland is the most prestigious, not the most important.

You again show your poor aptitude for the reality if the games. And what’s happening at ground level and how it could affect everything.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967494, member: 273”]You are wrong. There would be roughly the same amount if games, maybe a week or two shorter season.

The All Ireland is the most prestigious, not the most important.

You again show your poor aptitude for the reality if the games. And what’s happening at ground level and how it could affect everything.[/QUOTE]

You once again show your poor aptitude for maths. The televised stages of this year’s championship began on May 18th and will end on September 21st. That’s four months. You advocate a six or seven week championship season. Im not sure where the extra games are coming from to have the season only a week or two shorter.

The number of games is not the issue. Most wouldn’t be on television when condensed into such a tight time frame

Yeah, the All-Ireland is important but Sigerson is more important, I’ll give you that.

I think it’s obvious I have a far better understanding of the reality of the GAA, and how different levels are in constant conflict with each other. I’m not trying to have a pop on a personal level, mate, I just think you live in a fantasy world when it comes to revamping the calendar.

Both cafu and Kev are right. In terms of promoting the games, garnering advertising and attracting people to play, the all ireland needs to be promoted and championed and heavily televised throughout the summer, which it is. But for the vast majority of actual club members, the club championship in the counties far outweighs the inter county scene, most would pick a county title for their club over an all ireland for their county.

This is a great GAA cliche. The reality is it varies enormously according to club and county, and the level of involvement of the member in question. I don’t believe it’s a vast majority at all.

and thats why you are completely clueless.

Point made: nil.

As usual.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 967495, member: 2660”]You once again show your poor aptitude for maths. The televised stages of this year’s championship began on May 18th and will end on September 21st. That’s four months. You advocate a six or seven week championship season. Im not sure where the extra games are coming from to have the season only a week or two shorter.

The number of games is not the issue. Most wouldn’t be on television when condensed into such a tight time frame

Yeah, the All-Ireland is important but Sigerson is more important, I’ll give you that.

I think it’s obvious I have a far better understanding of the reality of the GAA, and how different levels are in constant conflict with each other. I’m not trying to have a pop on a personal level, mate, I just think you live in a fantasy world when it comes to revamping the calendar.[/QUOTE]
No, it just needs a will, or the usual, a reaction to a major incident.

Clubs going on strike is a real possibility and i know some clubs in more than one county have talked to each other about this. The loss of players, on a holiday basis, going to America and elsewhere for money is getting even more out of control. One of the reasons is the club season. Donegal and Kerry are in serious strife club wise for instance. Within 2-3 years something is really going to give.

You live in inner city dublin, and you continually show the ignorance of that to the GAA as a whole.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967521, member: 273”]
You live in inner city dublin, and you continually show the ignorance of that to the GAA as a whole.[/QUOTE]

An you live in Australia - hypocrisy alert.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967521, member: 273”]No, it just needs a will, or the usual, a reaction to a major incident.

Clubs going on strike is a real possibility and i know some clubs in more than one county have talked to each other about this. The loss of players, on a holiday basis, going to America and elsewhere for money is getting even more out of control. One of the reasons is the club season. Donegal and Kerry are in serious strife club wise for instance. Within 2-3 years something is really going to give.

You live in inner city dublin, and you continually show the ignorance of that to the GAA as a whole.[/QUOTE]
I live in suburban Dublin. Where do you live?