All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

They lose to a team 2 divisions behind them, despite having a decent year in the league. Something is amiss, and seeing as they started way way too early I’d say it’s a fair assumption.

And Cork nearly got knocked out by a Division 4 team yesterday. What’s that to do with?

Not everything is to with strength and conditioning, Derry have deep rooted problems when it comes to the county set-up and lads giving full commitment, this is nothing new. They had a few players dropping off the panel in between games, had a number of players who picked up injuries in the club championship. The county scene in Derry has been notoriously fractured in recent years.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 967922, member: 2533”]And Cork nearly got knocked out by a Division 4 team yesterday. What’s that to do with?

Not everything is to with strength and conditioning, Derry have deep rooted problems when it comes to the county set-up and lads giving full commitment, this is nothing new. They had a few players dropping off the panel in between games, had a number of players who picked up injuries in the club championship. The county scene in Derry has been notoriously fractured in recent years.[/QUOTE]
Cork would not have been knocked out. They would have gone into the qualifiers, where Derry did get knocked out. But of course Cork did not lose, so it’s irrelevant.

Who said anything about S&C? Nobody, your just throwing in that to deflect from your lack I knowledge in the subject.
However, S&C has an awful lot to do with injury, it’s primary function is injury prevention.

But of a bigger concern would be the hunger to keep going an freshness. Starting in August would have a large degree to do with that and you are only coming up with spurious, old stories. Just because it’s me that commented on it. No other reason. You have no basis or facts to back up your theory. Yet I have a distinct reasoning for their loss, to a less talented side.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967946, member: 273”]Cork would not have been knocked out. They would have gone into the qualifiers, where Derry did get knocked out. But of course Cork did not lose, so it’s irrelevant.

Who said anything about S&C? Nobody, your just throwing in that to deflect from your lack I knowledge in the subject.
However, S&C has an awful lot to do with injury, it’s primary function is injury prevention.

But of a bigger concern would be the hunger to keep going an freshness. Starting in August would have a large degree to do with that and you are only coming up with spurious, old stories. Just because it’s me that commented on it. No other reason. You have no basis or facts to back up your theory. Yet I have a distinct reasoning for their loss, to a less talented side.[/QUOTE]

You said they were overtrained. I said that was speculation on your part and Derry have always had deep rooted problems in having their players fully committed where club football usually takes a precedent. I don’t think being overtrained is their main problem, they had lads dropping off the panel in between championship games - one player in particular who was a regular in the league and started against Donegal, they had lads who got injured in club games. There are definite occurences and history that back up my argument while yours seems to be based on speculation they were overtrained.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967946, member: 273”]

But of a bigger concern would be the hunger to keep going an freshness. Starting in August would have a large degree to do with that and you are only coming up with spurious, old stories. Just because it’s me that commented on it. No other reason. You have no basis or facts to back up your theory. Yet I have a distinct reasoning for their loss, to a less talented side.[/QUOTE]

Hunger you say???

Hmmm, can someone post up the contradictory post Kevin would have made with this regarding Donegal?

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 967956, member: 2533”]Hunger you say???

Hmmm, can someone post up the contradictory post Kevin would have made with this regarding Donegal?[/QUOTE]
Wtf are you on about?
What had donegal got to do with Derry?
End of discussion.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967959, member: 273”]Wtf are you on about?
What had donegal got to do with Derry?
End of discussion.[/QUOTE]

You dismissed Sid’s argument a while back about hunger being the cause of a poor year for Donegal last year. Now you are citing Derry’s hunger to keep going as a problem.

Not true.
But one big difference, donegal had a reason for a drop in hunger. My argument had to do with creating an environment for development of hunger which I blamed McGuinness for. However he seems to have installed some of that this season, so credit for that.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967974, member: 273”]Not true.
But one big difference, donegal had a reason for a drop in hunger. My argument had to do with creating an environment for development of hunger which I blamed McGuinness for. However he seems to have installed some of that this season, so credit for that.[/QUOTE]

It is true, Sidney cited hunger as the issue for Donegal’s poor year last year. He set his argument out with reference to other teams and their inability to match their previous season’s exploits after a very successful year. You coined him argument as “moronic talk”. You now cite hunger as an issue for Derry. Is that “moronic talk”?

Derry are regularly knocked out of the Championship by weaker teams every year. The problem doesn’t stem from being overtrained, it’s to with a mindset where there seems to be a lot of disenchantment with the county setup. The club scene would seem to take greater precedent in Derry and I think this is something that has been discussed publicly in the past. Every year they seem to be hit with key players walking out of the panel and dismal exits. The problem with Derry football is that the players aren’t fully committed, I think it’s an issue with the mindset of the players. I’m sure you know a few Derry GAA people, why don’t you ask them what the problem is with their county’s failings?

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 967976, member: 2533”]It is true, Sidney cited hunger as the issue for Donegal’s poor year last year. He set his argument out with reference to other teams and their inability to match their previous season’s exploits after a very successful year. You coined him argument as “moronic talk”. You now cite hunger as an issue for Derry. Is that “moronic talk”?

Derry are regularly knocked out of the Championship by weaker teams every year. The problem doesn’t stem from being overtrained, it’s to with a mindset where there seems to be a lot of disenchantment with the county setup. The club scene would seem to take greater precedent in Derry and I think this is something that has been discussed publicly in the past. Every year they seem to be hit with key players walking out of the panel and dismal exits. The problem with Derry football is that the players aren’t fully committed, I think it’s an issue with the mindset of the players. I’m sure you know a few Derry GAA people, why don’t you ask them what the problem is with their county’s failings?[/QUOTE]

There is more than one type of hunger.
I have no doubt you are right historically about Derry. The players this though have talked about unity and changing things and the management team being excellent.
However when I heard, yes from a Derryman, a former Derry player, that they started in August I knew there was a good chance of the usual from them. There is also a big culture of players going to the states, and they had even more or less stopped that.

You can not start training in August and expect to be flying the following June.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 967982, member: 273”]There is more than one type of hunger.
I have no doubt you are right historically about Derry. The players this though have talked about unity and changing things and the management team being excellent.
However when I heard, yes from a Derryman, a former Derry player, that they started in August I knew there was a good chance of the usual from them. There is also a big culture of players going to the states, and they had even more or less stopped that.

You can not start training in August and expect to be flying the following June.[/QUOTE]

This happens pretty much every year with Derry, once they receive one small knock or setback the wheels come off the wagon, players drop off panels, the club scene takes over and they exit the championship in pathetic fashion. In 2011 John Brennan was in charge and they hammered Fermanagh and Armagh enroute to an Ulster final, once again everything was built up, the same unity was talked about etc and on the day they were beaten pretty comfortably in an Ulster final by Donegal. Their next game was in the qualifier against Kildare where they again exited with a whimper.

Derry had a terrific opportunity this year given how weak the side of the draw was on their side, you would definitely have seen them as the only team that could rival Mayo/Kerry/Cork for a final spot but bigger fool me for thinking that a leopard changes its spots.

Lacey is out for Donegal with a hamstring injury.

Niall McKeever doing really well for Antrim.

good game so far. Two nice kits also.

Nice and open

Come on Antrim!

Typical free-flowing Ulster football championship fare so far.

7 scores in the first 8 minutes.

I felt Donegal got away with a lot of overzealous challenging in the Derry game and the same trend seems to be repeated today.

good game so far. Two nice kits also.

Nice and open

well pinning lads to the ground was a big thing.

This is a great game.

Niall McKeever’s return really seems to have strengthened Antrim, a pity they don’t have the St. Galls lads.