All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2014

doubtful @Appendage, you’d want some patience to stick at mentoring teams in Wexford these days! easier to discuss it and fire out random thoughts on here.

I am hoping that Meath put it up to us as well. Dublin need to have a though game where they have to fight till the end to win the match. This will do them more good than a 20 point win. I would be worried if we draw one of the teams mentioned above, especially the Northie teams.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 973808, member: 2533”]I’m pretty confident you are wrong. I believe the quarters and semis are predetermined as well.

The A sides join in with the Munster and Connacht winners and the B sides join in with the Leinster and Ulster winners. You can offer me a full apology if you’re proven incorrect.[/QUOTE]
You’ll have to find evidence to prove that. It certainly was not the way previously.

Ya but who if the strong teams have the personnel to do it. That suggestion has been thrown around a lot before, but many many backs play in front.
Brian Hurley, Darren Hughes and James O Donoghue are 3 from some of the better teams that could do it. However that’s only one in each. You’d need two serious ball winners for it.

It’s a shame for Cork that Sherhan and Hurley played so little together.

Yes, they revamped the draw. I will check later but I believe I read it somewhere.

It’s true Kevin. It’s all true.

It was in an effort to give more certainty to co boards around fixture dates. I presume most of them have ignored this and not played club games anyway.

That’s clear. Teams who meet again have the winners of initial game getting home advantage, no matter what. They split things up in a few different ways, but there would be no sense to taking out one of the interesting and exciting parts of the draw.
I’m nearly sure they didn’t change thy.

[QUOTE=“Appendage, post: 973848, member: 11”]It’s true Kevin. It’s all true.

It was in an effort to give more certainty to co boards around fixture dates. I presume most of them have ignored this and not played club games anyway.[/QUOTE]
I know they made changes, but the qualifier winners (teams who get thru,4 of) play the provincial winners. I’m not sure why that has to do with the club games.

A and B draws have been split on separate weekends so it was easier to see when teams would and wouldn’t be playing when fixtures publicisied last November.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 973575, member: 273”]
The incredible list of subs don’t seem that incredible now.[/QUOTE]

True - they only scored 1-9

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 973843, member: 273”]Ya but who if the strong teams have the personnel to do it. That suggestion has been thrown around a lot before, but many many backs play in front.
Brian Hurley, Darren Hughes and James O Donoghue are 3 from some of the better teams that could do it. However that’s only one in each. You’d need two serious ball winners for it.

It’s a shame for Cork that Sherhan and Hurley played so little together.[/QUOTE]

McManus and Hughes are both excellent in the air for Monaghan.

I forgot about donegal. Murphy and McFadden.
Can’t remember McManus sticking out as particularly good in the air.

Can you apologise to me for insisting I was wrong earlier?

I see Armagh have the triangle symbol on their jerseys again, I’ll look if I can pull up some pics of it later. Pretty sure they had it back in '03 also. There seems to be a twist on it this time, with it being a triangle around a circle last time, this time there’s a circle alongside the triangle I think. Presume its more of McGeeneys mumbojumbo.

I have seen nothing to prove you right. In fact from my brief investigations I think we actually have to wait until that stage of the championship before finding out.
And if you think I’m taking appendages word for it you are on drugs.

[ATTACH=full]1442[/ATTACH]

Armagh will take Monaghan in the replay before Tyrone account for them in the qualifiers. I’m seething at the inequality of the GAA. Monaghan/Armagh will be fifth tie we’ve had to face against a div 2 side in order to qualify to the last 16. Cork and Kerry are into the last 12 via one win each over a Div 4 side. A joke.

shocking …you’d almost think it was a competition based on geographic regions …would never happen in the big tournaments like the world cup would it pal?..

No, It wouldn’t. Europe and South America are guaranteed the biggest allocations in the World Cup.

Maybe the best idea would be to run the Provincial Championships off on a league basis with the top 6 from Ulster, top 2 from Connacht and Munster and top 4 from Leinster all progressing through. The top team from all the provinces would then advance to the last 8. The remaining 10 teams would then battle it out for the last 8 positions.

The preliminary draw would see:

Ulster 6th vs Ulster 4th
Ulster 5th vs Leinster 4th

The teams would then be set into the following pots for the open draw:

Pot A:
Leinster 2nd
Connacht 2nd
Munster 2nd
Leinster 3rd

Pot B:
Ulster 2nd
Ulster 3rd
Winner prelim game 1
Winner prelim game 2

The quarter final draw would then see the winners of the playoff games go up against the top teams in each province.