All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

How are they going to work the scheduling of these extra games?

I guess knocking off a few league games will help. No replays mean they’ll be able a few weeks in a row?

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FORMAT

Club players and weaker counties screwed again.

2 Likes

Weaker counties? In what way?

Initial look i like from an IC POV.

However is it time to just leave County players off club teams. Its coming soon. Might as well go for it now. This does not give enough room for club. IC season will have to go way back to work well with clubs. Should be done and dusted on august bank holiday. Imagine if this weekend now the clubs had the run of it. Couldn’t be much arguing them.

Feb - Mickey Mouse Comps
March - Provincial Championships Play 3 out of 4 weekends.
April - Club
May - Group stages - 8 groups of 4 (or similar) with provincial winners and runners up seeded. Play 3 out of 4 weekends.
June - Club
July - Top two from each group play in last 16, then progress to quarters. playing 2 out of 4 weeks
August - Semi & Final, done by the last weekend in August.
September & October club.

Every county gets a minimum of 4 championship games. (flip side is there is no league games and you could say provincial winners are unfairly treated by having to play more games). You could alter it so that it’s 5 groups of 6 but it gets a bit messier then.
County Players, club players & county boards will know by the end of May if the county is to be involved in July & August. Allowing club fixtures to be set accordingly.

3 Likes

Be far more difficult and less likely for a Fermanagh or Wexford or Tipperary to come through a group stage than win a one-off match, gives the stronger counties even more chances as one loss would not necessarily mean elimination.

2 Likes

That’ll learn em for trying to get above their station.

Agreed regarding weaker counties. I’d sooner return to old format of straight knockout. At least there was the element of surprise and when counties were dispatched early, their clubs would benefit.

Straight knockout, less training, and more rows. The way it should be.

7 Likes

It should be 2 competitions of 16.

But the best will be the best. What it does now is if you get to top 8 then you get huge experience and exposure with 3 top quality games.

Why can’t people look for the positive and the opportunity. I stead of oh “poor us” again.

Always remember Killkenny is a small county.

Kilkenny is the only county solely focussing on the bespoke sport

Abolish intercounty altogether and let the club championships suffice as the GAA originally intended.

4 Likes

Abolish the GGA

4 Likes

I’m not saying poor us at all, I’m being realistic.

The strong get stronger, same as the back door

That proposed format change is crap. More unexciting games with shit crowds that nobody wants, more predictable, more fixture pile ups, clearly favours Dublin and Kerry.

4 groups of 8. Top two contest finals finals. No leagues or cups nothing. two preseason friendlies nfl style. First round of championship starts may bank holiday with finals weekend on the first weekend in July. Club championship would not commence till after the leaving cert which would coincide with the final weekend of the group phase.

WTF Clare are not a football county. A thick fuck wrote that :grin:

It’s a long winter for ye this year Joe.

Anybody saying that its fine as it is or we should go back to straight knockout is living in la la land. The horse bolted on that shit long go.