All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

He said that he is now a club player. So why say that if injured?

Fair enough, but today he gave the impression he is a club player now and preparing for that. He may not have been asked back. He certainky spoke with a distance from the squad

Because he is out for the season.

Link to interview?

@Bandage

Link to the different angle of the sending off

https://mobile.twitter.com/barryduf/status/767468118159548416

1 Like

INJURED Mayo defender, Ger Cafferkey took to Twitter this afternoon (Tuesday) to say that this weekend’s scheduled Club Championship games to be called off to allow for a ‘blinkered focus’ on winning the All-Ireland final.
The final rounds of both the Mayo Senior and Intermediate Club Championships are pencilled in to take place this Saturday and Sunday – just three weeks before the All-Ireland final against either Kerry or Dublin.
The decision to go ahead with the games has also been criticised by former Mayo midfielder, David Brady and Mayo News columnist Billy Joe Padden. Brady tweeted on Monday that the games carried ‘too great a risk’ to players, and he called for them to be refixtured.
In a surprise development, injured full-back Ger Cafferkey today issued a statement on his Twitter account, arguing there is ‘still time to do the right thing for all of Mayo GAA’.
The Ballina Stephenites clubman has been out since June with a hamstring injury and will play no part in Mayo’s All-Ireland final quest. However, he believes that the cancellation of next weekend’s club fixtures would give his teammates the best chance of capturing Sam Maguire for the first time since 1951.
In the tweet, the former All-Star wrote, “I don’t think I’ve ever expressed an opinion on twitter before #mayogaa”, before issuing a longer statement.
“One thing I’ve learned during my football career is how difficult it is to juggle commitments. Top performance requires a blinkered focus on the task at hand.
“I know the honesty that it is in that group of players. When they are on club duty – they will be 100 percent dedicated to the club. However, asking them to switch their focus from club to All-Ireland will break the preparation chain.
“It also relinquishes an advantage we have that might be worth a point or two come the 18th of September. Releasing players to clubs this week means that we will have to push recovery into next week, squeeze in tactical sessions and lose a week of intense training.
“I say this as a lad back looking for club success – the focus has to be on county success. I firmly believe that there’s still time to do the right thing for all of Mayo GAA.”
In the two hours since he posted the tweet, it was retweeted 107 times and liked 191 times, with the vast majority of people who reacted to his tweet welcoming his comments.
His former clubmate, David Brady replied, “@Caffatron you’re a topper”, while current Fermanagh footballer, Tomás Corrigan joked “@Caffatron you always were a cry baby,” before adding: “…no, I fully agree.”
The Mayo GAA Competitions Control Committee is scheduled to meet tonight in Castlebar and any decision on the weekend fixtures will be made tonight.

1 Like

Retweeted 107 times in 2 hours. Lolz

2 Likes

Looks like a clash of arms to me.

2 Likes

An idiot move from the Tipp lad, you can’t be swinging your fists

Absolutely but would be interesting to see what happened in the 5 seconds leading up to that.

How does this equate to elite sport such as football for example? Would countries get 28 clear days to prepare for a World Cup final?

All seems a bit mental to me. They’ll be killing each other in training sure.

And as @gman said, it’s a dead herring about Cody and Kilkenny playing club games. If Kk don’t go through the winners route all games are off.

2 Likes

He is back with the club. Seemingly not the county.

:sweat_smile:

Smells suspicious?

1 Like

Its ridiculous, 2 weeks would be more than enough to prepare for an All Ireland final. Play both semi finals the one week, that way both teams get the same preparation time.

Silly GAA.

But sure they have to send the tickets out to the clubs.

Thats why you earn the big bucks pal. I belive Jarlath Burns gets the job of cycling around the country delivering them by hand.

David Coldrick is a terrible referee. He never lets the game flow and often gets decisions wrong.

The finals he has refereed previously, 2007, 2010 and 2015 have been dour games and all to of them saw the favourites cruise to victory in a relatively sedate manner.

Mayo should be be fearful, if he’s appointed to the All-Ireland final.

That sounds awful like a threat.

Mayo should be fearful, but it’s got nothing to do with Coldrick

He is injured and has been injured since June.