All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016 You Are What You Eat

Ya that was mental, not sure what he was looking for there.

This is 2016. What happened in 1989 or 1996 is of no relevance. The last 5 Mayo have lost, 2013, 2012, 2006, 2004 & 1997 - they just lost to a better side. In a few of those years Mayo were only in the final, as a consequence of a lopsided draw. The one bona fide throwaway was 1996, both days against Meath, even if Mayo were underdogs. 1989, Mayo played well above themselves for 50-55 minutes but ultimately were beaten by a more battle hardened, experienced and better Cork team.

It happens in all sports, serial losers if they keep knocking on the door eventually end up winning the big prize.

Is clarke still in the squad

Is there a statute of limitations to that theory, pal?

Mayo have been serial losers for 27 years now. They contest finals in 8 of those years. You simply need to seize the moment when it’s presented to you, you may not get a better one.

The Boston Red Sox ended an 86 year wait for a World Series in 2004 after any number of calamities. The year after the Chicago White Sox ended an 88 year wait for a World Series. The Chicago Cub are red hot favourites this year to win the World Series and bridge the 108 year gap to their last. No need for Mayo to be panicking just yet on 65 years.

3 Likes

Mayo my fucking hole. I love the way the 2 ogs had nothing to do with Dublin 's attack. As if leaving a man to catch/kick a ball without a challenge on the edge of the square just means it’s unlucky.

Some observations.
-Ciaran Kilkenny is the king of head up fist ball.
-Small, Fenton and Byrne had great games.
-COC is a fucking cunt.
-Kev was right about the ref.
-Lee Keegan can do what he wants
-Mayo have done nothing to cover their vulnerabilities in the full back line. Dublin could have had more than their 2goals.
-AOS was a headless chicken in the first half

5 Likes

I’ve come to the conclusion that Brolly is a prick.

James Horan is a sensible punter and his word is good enough for me.

Brolly is typically of a cunt that happened to be on an All Ireland winning team and hence has right to pontificate and cast judgement.

1 Like

Aidan O’Shea doesn’t look fit.

Pretty much every Dub I know as well has the same view. Incredible talent but an incredible toerag

Surprising that you are bitter towards fellas who won all-Irelands…

Fair point, bit of an exaggeration on my part there. Still true to say that Mayo are relying on the same components, most of whom are further from their peaks than the equivalent Dub counterparts. Harrison did well but Diarmuid O’Connor is playing well below what he’s capable of (poss still injured). Dillon looked like causing problems when he came on but got hurt. The Dublin backs played AOS very cleverly. If Moran is held the next day where will the scores come from?

Ah I wouldn’t be bitter. One must know one’s place in life.

Team sports give rise to lads like that. There were some great players on that Derry team but he wasn’t one of them. He seems to have a heightened sense of morality arising from having that medal though.

1 Like

Keegan sexually assaulting connolly there.

3 Likes

A lot of Mayo supporters, managers and players have went to their graves in 65 years. It’s inconsequential to them as their time is up. The Mayo team of the 90s contested two All Ireland finals - no trophy. The Mayo team of the 00s contested two All Ireland finals. - no tropy. The Mayo team of the 10s have contested three All Ireland finals, still no trophy.

As of now four successive generations of Mayo players have had the chance but could not grasp it.

Since the 60s to present, I believe I am correct in saying only Roscommon, Mayo and Kildare have contested All Ireland final(s) and failed to bring a trophy home in that period. Other sides have appeared fleetingly and grasped that chance.

If you want to run an analysis of the success rate of teams who have appeared in under 10 finals since 1960:

Mayo 0/7 - 0% (2016 outcome still awaits)
Down 5/6 - 80%
Offaly 3/6 - 50%
Tyrone 3/5 - 60%
Donegal 2/3 - 67%
Armagh 1/3 - 25%
Roscommon 0/2 - 0%
Derry 1/1 - 100%
Kildare 0/1 - 0%

I might go the replay. There could be an almighty row in a it like the 1996 epic.There is a nice bit of dislike between both teams.

@bandage you’re an incredibly astute reader of a game. Couldn’t fault anything you said there.

Incidentally (cool story bro*) John Casey took a right clatter from Enda McManus I think it was in that row iirc. Caseys shop used to buy wholesale off the McManus’, but his mother refused to after that game, and never have again to this day.

• as told by John Casey.

@Bandage get me a ticket.

Dubs don’t like it up em. First team to match them in all aspects of the game in a while. even suffered a bit of roid rage at one point in the second half.

2 Likes

Indeed. A wet day suited Mayo coming through the back of them as it looked ‘accidental’.

Brendan Bowyer singing Boolavogue in Vegas. TG 4. Come on to fuck