All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2016

Wexford were fantastic away to Kerry in the league, mate. We weren’t too shabby against Waterford in the league quarter final either. Waterford should win though because the game isn’t in Kilkenny.

I don’t think this Galway team is as good as last years. While Tannion, Donnellan and Smith might not have been anything special they were honest physical hurlers and big players in their team while Johnathon Glynn was a massive player for them last year as well and the exact type of player that Clare would struggled with while Jason Flynn was a very consistent performer for them last year and without both of them their forward line looks far less daunting.

I do think that the likes of O’Brien, Reidy and Cleary have been very consistent performers for us all through 2016 and have improved us as a team from 2015 compared to an out of form DOD, Donnellan and Shane Golden. While he would infuriate you at times I think Brendan Bugler is hurling quite well at the minute and is doing a great job as a stopper/spoiler in the half back line and our backs as a unit look far more assured.

The question is whether we have enough about us if we are not winning the breaks and losing the physical exchanges to change things up. When we hit our stride we can play some excellent hurling but most teams have copped by now that if they commit men to the middle third and slow things down there we can struggle and I’m sure Galway will look to do something similar which means that the workrate of our 5 forwards has to be top class to halt the Galway backs driving quick direct ball into our backs and also giving us a chance to break. Podge is crucial in this regard as he covers an amount of ground and knits things together and we don’t really have another player who can play a similar industrious role. I would be very confident if we had Podge and McGrath 100% and I still think we will see a big Clare performance at the weekend regardless but there are still doubts in my mind as to the balance of the side from 8 to 15 and Galway are capable of exploiting them unless we are really sharp in our hurling and our workrate is spot on.

4 Likes

That’s it in a nutshell. Can Clare’s superior hurling ability (even without a couple of very skilful players) trump Galway’s size, physicality and general mullocking?

They put manners on them ksrry cunts alright.

who’s reffing it? i expect us to try and plow into them early on, but a nit picker ref might punish us if he sees any of clares ligter forwards tumbling around

can you please stay out of this thread you absolute retard

How are you keeping, pal? Will you watch Sunday’s match on GAA GO at home or take a trip to the Irish bar for it?

im never watching a galway game in an oirish bar again after the debacle of last years all ireland, a bunch of millenial scum with galway and kilkenny jerseys on who spent most of the first half lining up for breakfast with no sight of the tv and taking selfies. I’ll watch it on the gaago subscription kindly sponsored by my tfkbet fantasy nfl pals. Will you travel to tom semples field?

3 Likes

Gavin, could be worse.

Have you made any friends over there yet or are you still canada’s answer to Travis Bickle?

1 Like

could be way worse, still very apprehensive

it’s funny how you have no concept of how stupid you are.

You talking to me?

2 Likes

Have Galway won the AI already Joe?

1 Like

The Galway Team to play Clare tomorrow in Thurles in the All Ireland Quarter Final:

1.Colm Callanan, 2.Johnny Coen, 3.John Hanbury, 4.Padraic Mannion, 5.Gearoid McInerney, 6.Daithi Burke, 7.Aidan Harte, 8.David Burke (Captain), 9.Davy Glennon, 10.Conor Cooney, 11.Joseph Cooney, 12.Joe Canning, 13.Conor Whelan, 14.Niall Burke agus 15.Cathal Mannion

Fair enough, same again. Hopefully will be good enough. Missing a bit of pace up front I fear, hopefully Jason Flynn will be sprung early if needed, rather than waiting until it’s too late.

A few sluggish individuals there around our middle third… Clare’s pace when in full flow could see us leaking plenty scores. Not letting Clare reach full flow is the key.

Great team

1 Like

Galway would win handy tomorrow had they a few more mullockers playing like smith and tannion.
Looks to be a leadership deficit on both teams to be honest. Bugler is the closest but he’s been finished a few years now. Hard one to call. Galway would give Chip a game whereas Clare wouldn’t so on that basis I hope it’s Galway.
The other one isn’t as cut and dry as most experts think. If Waterford do win handy it’s because Wexfords missing in action list has finally caught up with them. Wexford have a better chance of beating Kilkenny because they’ll try to beat them and have had success against them underage, coach Derek would be happy closing the six point deficit from last year.

1 Like

Yea the won