Alliance Football League 2019

Dubs are gone stale… 5 in a row seems to be the number where teams get caught… Worse for Dublin is, as opposed to last year, there’s a few teams really beginning to close the gap… Kerry Mayo, Tyrone…can see dublin getting caught…

Not a hope . No team will come within 8 points of Dublin in championship .

maybe but I suspect that it is that they are just timing things, they know there is fcuk all in Leinster to give them a match, their will be a handy game too in the super 8s so everythingis geared towards the all Ireland semi final

I agree with @Bisto here.

Dublin are vulnerable this year. Last year was an aberration in that no real challenger materialised. They will this year.

I think Dublin will be in the All-Ireland final but I expect it to come down to the last kick, and I suspect Dublin may come out on the wrong side this time.

That seems to me to be the way it’s heading anyway.

Mayo didn’t even make it to the super 8s last year and the team that beat them didn’t win a game in the super 8s. Are they better this year? Tyrone should definitely challenge as should Kerry. If Galway adopted the Corofin style of attacking at pace they could challenge as well, but can’t see it happening under the current setup.

1 Like

There is a bit too much made about the Corofin style of play compared to what Galway play. Corofin were very lucky the first day to draw the county final 7 points each, winning the following day 1-8 to 5. By all accounts both games were terribly negative. They put on an excellent attacking display Sunday because the opposition set up in a traditional way and Corofin were far too quick for them, you won’t come up against many opponents like that at intercounty level.

1 Like

Aye, I’d imagine Jim Gavin has gone away from everything he’s done in previous years thats worked for him, just for this one year. That would make perfect sense alright.

Unless of course he feels that they won’t bother adapting their style of play for 5 rule changes that won’t be there come August.

1 Like

Tyrone kicking long direct ball isn’t going to be there come August?

as an ardent follower of NFL dv2 i believe Kildare could win Leinster this year
they are a better team than meath - the issue they have is closing out games from strong winning positions as exhibited by recent games v meath and tipp
they are a very very good side

No Daniel Flynn, no party.

1 Like

They may well do but it will be in the context of substantially different rules and unlikely, based on previous years, to be as effective.

Huge loss alright. Mitigated somewhat by Ben McCormack coming back after missing 2018 and Jimmy Hyland coming up from the U20s, but Flynn has a unique quality.

Substantially you say?

1 Like

Flynn is different gravy, the kind of marquee forward you can build an entire team around. You don’t replace him easily in a county like Kildare. Hyland is very good, I’ve seen him up close against Laois at minor and U20, but Flynn is a different beast.

Substantially.

Targeting Dublin full back line is hardly a new idea.

Apart from The Mark, what are these substantial changes?

Does that question accept that the mark is a substantial change?

You said substantially different rules, the mark is just one rule change. And it going wont stop teams kicking in long quick ball.

Gavin is a creature of habit and knows the value of a league final with leinster being so weak… There’s a malaise in Dublin… O sullivan even with crokes doesn’t look the player he was… Cooper has been defensively poor in a lot of games… They are really going to have to find a spark from somewhere…its really gone pedestrian and one dimensional… . There’s hungry teams who now have the belief coming behind… Only positive for Dublin is they are now well aware of their issues very early in the year…

1 Like