Allianz Hurling League 2017 Division 1A Thread

working towards ball winners up front? they were absolutely hopeless in that area tonight especially in the first half. they didn’t have to go through tipp or kilkenny in 2013, that was the major factor, ok kilkenny are in transition but tipp would ate clare by as much as they want

So I’ve heard; to be honest, I’m not sure that they have players who can not only win ball but also have the necessary hurling skills, outside of Conlon. Shanagher’s a big fella, but is he actually a really good ballwinner? I don’t think he is, but he has the raw attributes. They had Malone in there tonight too, and Golden in midfield.

Whether it worked tonight or not, Moloney & O’Connor will have to persevere as you can’t have Conlon as the only forward able to compete. Some of the players need a bit of work, but they have 4 months to get them up to speed.

theres a lack of physicality all over the park i think, totally different to summer hurling but podge looked way off it today. are there potential ball winners in the colleges, bobby duggan or the likes, or are those at the standard. o donnell catches ball but is too predictable with it, reidy missed frees, clares touch was terrible all round, dispossessed easily. doesnt matter much as they can still beat dublin in a relegation match but they don’t look imposing enough to cause anyone serious hassle.

See I wouldn’t be worried about their lack of touch, or about players like Podge who have proven it before. If Clare are to do anything, their hurling will have to be extremely slick and sharp, I’m sure their management, players and fans know that. And I’m sure it will be.

The physicality thing could be an issue. Bobby Duggan is talented, but I don’t know if he has that aggressive streak in him to win ball at intercounty level. Fairly skilful, lovely striker of a ball but probably too nice for top level hurling at the moment. Peter Duggan is extremely tall and strong but I don’t think he uses the ball well when he does win it, just don’t think he’s good enough. For a fella so tall, Honan isn’t that good in the air, and again, a bit too nice… never really kicked on.

I do like Cunningham, think he’s very lively. Shanagher aswell, has shown flashes of brilliance and is only a young fella. Probably worth persevering with Deasy, see if he’s up to it.

Horgan has very little in the way of pace, something people ignore.

yeah it would be worth persevering with deasy to see has he it in him to improve skill wise, cunningham always seems to have the necessary aggression, pat o connor obviously too when he comes back. whats the story with david mcinerney?

Steven MacDonnell and Damien Cahalane still to come into the Cork defence, hopefully that’ll improve things.

Galway certainly didn’t let this lad through the net. A mullocker with a fat arse. We have plenty of them in Dublin already.

David McInerney is recuperation from a back injury and doing some travelling. Both him and McGrath are expected back towards the end of next month.

Wouldnt read a whole lot into Clare’s performance last night. They looked off the pace and flat to a man. The league often throws up games like this, if they follow up with a couple of similar performances then you would worry but the league this year is all about blooding players and changing style.

1 Like

@Fagan_ODowd @ChocolateMice @carryharry @Fran

Different reaction to Codys after losing the All ireland :grinning:

“But you can only be yourself, your own personality. If you go around as if you think the world has stopped, pretending that you’re in this deep sense of mourning – maybe some people do that because they’re trying to make it something that it is not…I’m not pretending it doesn’t bother me, that it’s ‘ah look, we lost, who cares’. We all care. We care completely. But what I’m saying is I can still get on with my life. I don’t go around in a fit of depression over it or anything like that.”

And you know what Cody is dead right. McGrath is a bit of a snowflake it seems.

1 Like

And tats why they are so good every year unlike @Fagan_ODowd

A lot to be happy about from a Clare perspective. Early days yet, but structure moving in the right direction.

Best of all, no histrionics.

Tis grand for Brian to be so philosophical at his age and with his experience. Derek is a young manager still learning.

1 Like

+1 it’s easy for Cody to be more laid back about losing when he has won so much.

I don’t recall any histrionics from Cody in 99 after being beaten by cork. I’m sure @caoimhaoin will agree with me in saying McGrath giving interviews like that is a sign of weakness and self serving in a look at me I care so much kind of way. I really don’t see what purpose an interview like that serves.

1 Like

6 mins for KK to open the scoring with a Reid free. Waterford with an ass load of wides already.

Saucy enough game here, Waterford getting scores a lot easier and playing the better hurling

KK reeling them in slowly though

HOTY on now .