Allianz Hurling League 2017 Division 1A Thread

Arsenal v Manchester City at 4 pm on Sunday is the big event .

It certainly is if you have very few brain cells functioning.

5 Likes

Is that one on TV? There’s some dodgy dealings going on here…

I don’t know . Think they had no play off / knock out games last year .

Shame, this could be the hurling highlight of the weekend.

I’d love to play all our home games in the Gaelic Grounds. I can’t remember the last time we lost a match there.

Ya . As Ger Lough said today , the best game next weekend will be Clare v Dublin .

I"d say it is nearly as easier trip than Salthill for South Galway.

2 Likes

This is simply ridiculous scheduling.

Who do I tweet about this? The GAA? Jackie Cahill? John Fogarty?

There should be 4 live televised hurling games next weekend - games at 5pm and 7pm on Saturday and 2pm and 4pm on Sunday.

I’d choose 3 of the quarter finals (leave out Offaly) and the Dublin-Clare game.

I’m seething. FFS sake.

7 Likes

Worth knowing in advance of the weekends games, especially the tie between Offaly and Kilkenny

All of the Division 1 quarter-finals must finish on the day. If the teams are level at full-time, extra-time of two period of ten minutes will be played.

If the teams are still level, an additional two periods of five minutes each way will be played.

If the teams are still level after that, then a free-taking competition will decide the outcome. Each team will nominated 5 free-takers who must be chosen from players who have participated in the game, either in normal time or in one of the periods of extra-time.

Frees would be taken by each of the five players from a position of their choosing on the ’65 metre line and the takers must go for points only.

The game is won by whichever team scores more of their five frees. If still level, then sudden death frees will be taken using the same 5 players in the same order until such time as there is a definitive outcome.

Why are they all on at 4 o clock?

Has any game ended up in the free taking comp yet?

That sounds like great craic. Seems to imply that you can use a player who was substituted too.

Although 5 minutes a half of extra-time seems very short (even for a second period), be no flow at all to that.

I let it go the first time but I can’t ignore such sloppiness a second time.

Offaly are playing Tipperary rather than Kilkenny.

Aren’t they one and the same? They were using the same crest up to a few years ago FFS.

Guys, should we set up a NHL quarter final thread to avoid discussion being splintered between the 1A and 1B threads? I’d like resolution on this soonest.

Unbelievable coincidence.

The 4 coin tosses to decide home advantage for 3 quarter finals and the relegation play off were won by counties whose footballers are also at home next weekend.

A cynic might say…

3 Likes

Jamesie O’Connor thinks Cork have used the league better than anybody else:

“They have found arguably more players in the League that are likely to play Championship this year than arguably any other county."

Coleman, Brosnan, Meade, Fitzgibbon, Cahalane are new players they’ve brought in who will probably feature in Championship. Kingston featured towards the latter stages of last year, but seems to have nailed down a starting position.

Kilkenny have given a lot of fringe players chances too- O’Shea, Cleere, Leahy, Deegan, Martin, Lyng as well as Blanchfield who obviously has started in an All-Ireland final. Whether they’ll all start in Championship is a different matter.

Limerick probably have 2 Caseys, Hayes, WOD, Dempsey who will be in and around the starting team.

I didn’t think it was decided by a coin toss but I hope it was

Radio report at 3 said coin tosses. That’s all I’m going by